Thread: Checking Oil

Spyder Garage

Default Checking Oil

Anyone besides me have trouble checking oil with the screw in dip stick? Well after cross threading and damaging the threads on the plastic dip stick I came up with a solution. I took a piece of 3/8" wood dowel and glued it into a small block of wood, cut it off slightly longer than stock dip stick, measured the distance from cap to fill and full lines on stock dip stick and filed a groove in wooden dowel at these lengths. So now to check the oil, and add oil if necessary, remove the plastic dip stick put my wooden dip stick in oil tank until the block of wood is flush with top of oil tank. If its okay replace the stock dip stick, if not now I don't have to screw dip stick in and out a number of times until oil level is right. FYI I carry this dip stick and a small rag in a plastic bag so I have it when on trips.

Spyder Garage

Nice idea,but doesn't the wooden dowel get saturated with oil so as to always read at that level?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your successful solution!
    Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) made a couple of these about three years ago. I think that he used plastic, so that oil saturation wouldn't be a cause for concern.
    Could you duplicate your design in plastic?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Nice idea,but doesn't the wooden dowel get saturated with oil so as to always read at that level?
    Yes the dowel does soak up the oil but youcan still see the oil level.

Spyder Garage

Anything to make Maintainence easier is good

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone had a problem with overfilling oil reservoir. Is this an issue where I need to get the extra oil out.
    Graham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats. ..

Several have done this myself...I have found removing the o-ring makes it much easier to check...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Graeym View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with overfilling oil reservoir. Is this an issue where I need to get the extra oil out.
    Graham

Too much oil in the tank means that it's going to look for another place to stay; an unwanted place!
    Get yourself a Turkey Baster, and add a length of fuel line to the end of it.
    You should be able to suck out the excess with that!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Graeym;1201530]Has anyone had a problem with overfilling oil reservoir. Is this an issue where I need to get the extra oil out.
    Graham

Bob's idea using turkey baster is great. I once over filled and didn't have baster. I used drinking straw with finger over the end, much slower but it worked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just don't let your Wife know that you used it!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    Anyone besides me have trouble checking oil with the screw in dip stick? Well after cross threading and damaging the threads on the plastic dip stick I came up with a solution. I took a piece of 3/8" wood dowel and glued it into a small block of wood, cut it off slightly longer than stock dip stick, measured the distance from cap to fill and full lines on stock dip stick and filed a groove in wooden dowel at these lengths. So now to check the oil, and add oil if necessary, remove the plastic dip stick put my wooden dip stick in oil tank until the block of wood is flush with top of oil tank. If its okay replace the stock dip stick, if not now I don't have to screw dip stick in and out a number of times until oil level is right. FYI I carry this dip stick and a small rag in a plastic bag so I have it when on trips.
    n

Well, seems like over engineering to me. When the oil is changed, check it the regular way, did that just yesterday.Take the dipstick out, clean it off again and reinsert it, but don't screw it down. Simple enough. Pull dipstick, see where it is on the "unscrewed in dipstick" and remember that, and check it that way each time. No wear and tear, no extra rags or wooden plugs, and when it goes down enough to add 4 oz or what ever, do it. I've been doing that for 100 years or so and so far so good on what ever scooter, bike or ?? I'm checking. Nothing has ever blown up! If this sounds too simple, don't do it this way, won't hurt my feelings!

Spyder Garage

Smile

Or you can put the straw on the end of the turkey baster and throw the straw away. Less mess to clean up on the turkey, I mean baster
    2013 RT , Copper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Graeym View Post
    Graham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Easy enough to get extra oil out of the tank with a piece of 1/4 inch tubing and the same vacuum pump you bleed the brake lines with. I use little pint catch jar to bleed the brakes. Got another half gallon catch jar for other things, like lowering the oil level.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver