Thread: Kumho tyres.

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho tyres.

Tried to obtain some of the recommended Kumho front tyres for my Spyder RT here in the UK. The importers tell me that the Solus KH16 are no longer avaiable and that there is a new Solus HA31 replacement in the same sizes with different rubber compound and a directional tread pattern, not the symetrical pattern of the KH16. Does any one think the change in tread pattern could make these tyres less suitable for the Spyder.
    Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might just be my simple mind trying to oversimplify everything around me ; I don't see how the tread pattern could make a big enough difference, to make the tire unworkable.
    But I would like to see a picture of the tread pattern...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-15-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm running the 'replacement for Solus KH16' tires that we are aware of here Down Under - the Kumho Solus KH17 compound/tread pattern, a non-directional Sport-Touring pattern with a medium 'Silica' compound that is pretty damn good in the wet that is also reasonably long lasting - but it really comes down to your preference or choice in what you want from a tire!!

If you are really looking for 'more than adequate grip wet or dry' but even greater longevity over 'bloody outstanding Sports performance', then maybe Kumho's non-directional 'All-Season Touring' patterns like their Solus KR21 will suit you & your ryding somewhat better than the Sport-Touring tires or their outright Sport tires & the tread pattern/compounds that those tires are available with, especially if you ryde long distances on relatively 'hot' road surfaces (altho somehow I doubt you get too much of that stuff in the UK!!) However, if you like really pushing your Spyder thru the twisty stuff or want to explore the realms of ryding offered with greater wet and dry grip than most 'normal' tires usually provide, then maybe you should look at their more Sport oriented tires, possibly their HA31 or their Ecsta V70 in an appropriate size, altho that may come at the cost of a little potential tire life (still waaaayyy better than the Kenda's tho!!) Or maybe you should just cast your tire search a little wider & explore any of the other offerings out there in similar sizes from any of the other reputable tire manufacturers??

There are quite a few pretty damn good tires out there once you move away from the Kenda's & are prepared to look at any of the slightly different sizes that DO fit - you just need to make sure that whatever brand tire you get will (or at least - should) do what you expect it to in the way of performance & longevity, & that its rolling dia (or 'revs per mile') remains close enough to a 'known to fit' tire that it will still fit your Spyder, that it has a load & speed rating higher than that specified for the Spyder, that it remains a legal rim fitting size or size increase, & that it won't give you too much difference to the standard 'Nanny expected' difference between the front & rear tire sizes (or the Nanny might make your life a tad uncomfortable!!) So if you go for any other brand, look for something that has greater load & speed ratings (shouldn't be hard to exceed that of the Kenda's!!) & a maximum rolling dia of 25.6 or more than 810 revolutions per mile (taken from the 'known to fit an RT Kumho Solus KH17 225/60R15')

Bridgestone Potenza's, General Altimax R43, Toyo's, Cooper CS5's, even BFG (& I'm sure many more tire brands & manufacturers) all have appropriately rated & nominally sized tires to fit the Spyder, & I believe all of them have an appropriately sized rolling dia/revs per mile tire too - take your pick, just choose the one you prefer or think would suit you best!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-17-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: 'more than'

Spyder Garage

Default tyre delmers-=65ttyg6

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Tried to obtain some of the recommended Kumho front tyres for my Spyder RT here in the UK. The importers tell me that the Solus KH16 are no longer avaiable and that there is a new Solus HA31 replacement in the same sizes with different rubber compound and a directional tread pattern, not the symetrical pattern of the KH16. Does any one think the change in tread pattern could make these tyres less suitable for the Spyder.
    Thanks.
    Hi,
    I have been looking at tyres for my RT, here in the uk , as pete the man from oz says .Kumho kh 17 look like the ones I am going for in the new year, think the rear will be 215 60 15, front 175 55 15 , there are others like the continental but a lot more expensive, I like the idea of same type and make of tyres on front and rear, always have done on my bikes.
    LET us know what you decide.
    cheers from another uk spyder rider.

Spyder Garage

Default i like you

I LIKE YOU, COULDN'T FIND THE KUMHO's.... I HAD THEM ON MY 'RS' AND WHEN MY F3 NEEDED REPLACEMENTS I ALSO FOUND OUT THE KUMHO HAD DISCONTINUED PRODUCTION....
    SO I LOOKED AROUND, AND FOUND HANKOOK's..... I NOW LIKE THESE MUCH BETTER THAN THE KUMHO's.... DON'T GET ME WRONG, THE KUMHO's ARE EXCELLENT TYRES... BUT THE HANKOOK's ARE A BIT BETTER.....

HANKOOK V4 ES, 175/55R15 77T
    LOOK AT THOSE and GOOD LUCK...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Tyres in the UK

This was posted today Ref Tyres for Spyders in the UK

https://www.facebook.com/groups/uksp...9826223097448/

Just in case you don't do Facebook. This was a post from OHG The Spyder dealer in Devon

Just so you know we can supply the Spyder Vee Rubber Arachnid Tyres in the UK now.
    RRP prices as follows 14" £70inc vat, 15" Front £72inc vat and Rears at £136inc vat.
    Cheers Lloyd OHG Quads
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World