Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Key and programming cost ?

Hi fellow Spyder riders,
    recently purchased a 2015 Spyder F3S and it only came with one Key. Anyone purchased and programmed a key from the dealer and if so what did it cost ? Any insight appreciated ! Thanks !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default replacement keys

I'm probably late with this answer but your dealer should have provided you with two keys. Ask them to provide you with the second key. Bob has some good info on making additional non coded keys.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default The long story...

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I'm probably late with this answer but your dealer should have provided you with two keys. Ask them to provide you with the second key. Bob has some good info on making additional non coded keys.
    Its a sorted tale but I did get two keys however one of the keys didn't work... The dealer is 6+ hours away (It was a really good deal on a used 2015 model) and I want to have him credit me the cost associated with getting a replacement key from a dealer a bit closer. I want to know how much I should expect it to cost.... A replacement non coded key would be nice in addition, however I really want the correct functional key.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default replacement key

Its a sorted tale but I did get two keys however one of the keys didn't work... The dealer is 6+ hours away (It was a really good deal on a used 2015 model) and I want to have him credit me the cost associated with getting a replacement key from a dealer a bit closer. I want to know how much I should expect it to cost.... A replacement non coded key would be nice in addition, however I really want the correct functional key.

Well in the interim, don't lose the only key you have because then you would be looking at an ignition switch replacement, which is somewhere (if I remember correctly) around a $1000.00 hit!!!!

Would seem that the closer dealer could help you on how much they would charge you for a key and programing.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The replacement key from your dealer should be about $55. Also can be ordered from an online retailer. Part number 710004408. That is an uncut blank. Since most dealers do not have key cutting machine. You most likely will have to take it somewhere to have it cut to match the profile of your existing key. Maybe that will cost you $10. Then you will have to take the new key, all the old keys you still want to work and your Spyder to a dealer or someone with BUDS software. It will take them under 15 minutes to program your Spyder to accept the new key(s) and delete the old key(s). So whatever they may charge for that.

So you say one of your keys does not work. What do you mean by that? Cut wrong and won't turn the ignition switch? Then you need a new key. If it turns on the ignition switch but will not start the Syder? Then just needs to be programed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The blank keys are available through BRP parts. Once cut, we normally charge $35 for programming them. Often do them for free if other work is being done at the same time. It only takes a few minutes with BUDS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

This is what I have found from dealers when I called around a little. I live in NY but going to Fla and taking the Spyder so I figured I would shop around. I still plans on calling dealers in Ga and the Carolina's. Will post if I find better prices.

LI NY
    In Stock
    key $60 ea
    Cut No
    Program $100

Daytona
    In Stock
    key $45 ea
    Cut No
    Program $50

Kissimmee
    In Stock
    key $60 ea
    Cut Yes
    Program $50
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just had a key made for my 2012 RS. The key cost $49+tax from the dealer. They cut the key and programmed it for another $25. This was done at a dealership in Garner, NC.
    I also would like to add that when they program your new key, they also need to reprogram any additional keys. Otherwise only your new key will work. I left the dealership and found this out about an hour later when I tried my original key and it no longer worked. They simply put the master back it, then my 2 keys, and I was good to go.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I just had a key made for my 2012 RS. The key cost $49+tax from the dealer. They cut the key and programmed it for another $25. This was done at a dealership in Garner, NC.
    I also would like to add that when they program your new key, they also need to reprogram any additional keys. Otherwise only your new key will work. I left the dealership and found this out about an hour later when I tried my original key and it no longer worked. They simply put the master back it, then my 2 keys, and I was good to go.
    It is different for 2014 and later. They do not need to delete older keys. But they may if you don't make it clear to them. For 2013 and earlier all keys you want to work must be programed again along with the new key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the insight !

Fellow Spyder folks,
    thanks for all the information.... One of the keys was not cut properly... The dealer has agreed to make it right. I just wanted to know how much compensation I should be getting from them to get the replacement made. I also sent them detailed pictures of the key cuts to determine if the key got mixed up with another unit. Most likely they will credit me the cost.

Thanks again to all for your insight !
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have bin told

I have bin told by a person who programs key that the new must not be carried together on the same ring because they can cancel each others out.
    I don't know how true it is and is not the case here but just sayin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gsebring View Post
    I have bin told by a person who programs key that the new must not be carried together on the same ring because they can cancel each others out.
    I don't know how true it is and is not the case here but just sayin.
    Just to make what you have been told clearer. Carrying or storing chips keys together is not a problem and will not cause any problems or damage the keys in any way. This goes for any chipped keys, BRP or not. The problem can be if they are attached (key ring) when one of them is in the ignition switch. The key not in the ignition will respond with the key in the ignition and mess up the signal. This will cause a bad key or dess error depending on the Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

good answer to price question. shop around is the 'KEY: LOL