Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi new guy here with some questions

Hi new guy to forum here from western NY, I was at my local dealer 10 min from my house getting parts for my utility vehicle ( Can Am Commander) I noticed a used 2011 Spyder RT-S low miles for 11k it got me thinking if I would like one. Also since this is snowmobile country there are many dealers near me. I'm a hands on guy and can do most repairs & maintenance myself.

I have had many types and kinds of bikes since I was 8 now pushing 50. I currently have a Honda Valkyrie since 2000 I love it and was familiar with Lamonster from back in the day and glad to see him on the forum.

I have some back issues had neck fused and a surgery on my upper back 4 years ago and it’s only going to get worse with time and I tend to work too much and too hard. So when I ride the bike it’s so wide and rides stiff I sometimes get bad nerve cramps and have to stop and get off and walk around. So I haven’t rode much in last 2 years and my wife and I really miss our weekend rides. I have looked and used ones in my area are in this price range. I won’t be going cross country or most likely going more than 2 hours from home. I’m interested in used as I don’t know how I would like one or if I can ride one long. I only rode a prototype demo at local dealer when they first came out and thought it was ok.
    I have ridden lots of bikes, ATV’S have a performance side x side, and have rode tens of thousands of miles touring on snowmobiles so I don’t think the thing wandering slightly would bother me much I also gave up snowmobiles because of my back.

I have had many BRP products. So I see they changed motors and styling but I think a v-twin would be ok for me to get started with my side by side is a hot temp running high rpm machine.
    What to look for in a 2011-2012 machine 25k new is just out of reach right now as I have other things to spend $ on?
    Will I be bored with it power wise like driving my work civic. Not sure if the RT is my best model choice but would like a smooth ride, be able to listen to music and at least side baggage. I am 6 foot tall large guy; will I be able to move my legs around to avoid cramping?
    I’m used to shifting and clutching I also have a Mustang GT stick shift would I want auto shift or manual?

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Given your situation ................. an RT is the most likely Spyder for you, the other models do not sit easy and tend to arch your back, the RT is smooth riding, comfortable, enough storage space and a more relaxed ride.

Go for it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was a 2011 RTS SE5 and I was very happy with it until they came out with the 1330 triple. Have the dealer confirm that all the warranty work was done, like the throttle body which was a known problem. The read-out from that electronic check can tell you lots about that particular machine.

I'm more height-challenged than you, but I've heard from tall folks that the comfort seat gives the driver a little more leg room. If you like the riding position of your Valkyrie, you might like an F3 better, especially if you're doing mostly local or regional riding. They were new as of 2015 model year and you can find some used, but not at the same price as that 2011 RTS.

You mention "the thing wandering slightly" about snowmobiles. The only reason a Spyder should do so is in a rutted road or if the alignment is out of whack.

Let us know what you end up doing. If you get one, don't forget to post a pic for us!

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Hey, I recently purchased a 2010 RT SM5, I never rode a bike before and have some balance issues. So I thought the Spyder would be a good choice. I am happy with the 998 as I am not a kid (58) and have no need to ride hard, just tool around with the wife on the back and enjoy life. When I purchased it I had a choice between a manual one and a semi auto one. After reading many posts here I am happy with the manual, I also just like shifting. We really enjoy riding it and the wife seems to be looking for reasons to take it out even it is getting a little cold. So my advice is just do it and enjoy the ride.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

You'll be able to change your foot position esp. if you have floor boards. highway pegs are easily added if that's your "thing".
    I have a certain deadness in my feet and a certain hand pain that made the semi-auto a no-brainer for me. I always thought the
    998 Rotax twin would do the trick on any spyder. We are talking about 100 hp right ?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyders feel pretty similar to the ATVs that you've ridden. They do NOT feel like a motorcycle.
    How about some pics of your current toys?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like you are a candidate for a 2011/2012 RT version. The comfort seat and Seal Floorboards will add the comfort you are requiring.

Both are good machines if you want something in the 13K to 15K price range. The dealer can provide you with a service record so that you know you are getting a trouble free machine.

I had a 2010 and still have a 2011 RT. 23K and still going strong with no issues or problems.

and let us know what you end up doing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Skidozer, Having Grown up from Suzuki TM 125's, through open class Motocross, to Caferacer's to street cruisers, and lots of very fast 4 wheeled things, I FINALLY got a used 2013 RT Limited this year. One of the best rides I've ever owned. At 57, my wife would no longer ride with me on 2 wheeled street bikes, Now she's very happy to sit on the RTL and has gone on more trips with me this year than the previous 10 years.

I have test drove the 1330 and bought a 998 (used prices were 4k difference here in MN for 2013's with less mileage than some of the 2014's) and find the punch plenty good enough on the older Spyder.

I do consider that my 2013 may be a trade in for a 2018 F3 Limited (or whatever is coming down the design road). But for now it's been a great ride and I count myself blessed to have saved that 4K difference for farkles to come...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERS ?????

IMHO ..... you better check out something with the 1330 engine before you make your decision...... I had two Spyders with V-twins ........... I have the 1330 RT now ..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not 6' tall so will leave input to those who breathe rarified air

BUT
    dont discount the paddle shift - I still change gears up and down, not leaving downshift to the semi auto, and get just as much fun from gear changes, without the ergo issues of hand/foot manual changes. My neck, back and hips are much happier. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

I am 6' tall and find the 2012 (basically the same as the 2011) RT very comfortable with seal floorboards. I also love the SE5 paddle shift, even though I've always ridden conventional motorcycles in the past. I also do not mind the 998 twin in the older models. The triple is better, but for me it is not worth changing since I have my RT just the way I want it with lots of farkles. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Also new, but armed with good info

Like you I am new to the forum, but when I seen your post I felt the need to 'Chime in". I have a friend that works for our local dealership. He has been there for 15 years or more. When I posed the question to him about the Spyders he told me to make sure that I bought a 2014 or newer due to the ridiculous amount of maintenance required on the older models. He told me he was really impressed with the inline 3 cylinder and that they have had very few come in the shop with any problems. After talking to him and have stopped looking at anything that is older that a 2014. I have seen that there are many members in the forum that have the older model bikes and they may or may not have seen what I am typing about but just wanted to give you some good info and not upset anyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I am not 6' tall so will leave input to those who breathe rarified air

BUT
    dont discount the paddle shift - I still change gears up and down, not leaving downshift to the semi auto, and get just as much fun from gear changes, without the ergo issues of hand/foot manual changes. My neck, back and hips are much happier. Just a thought.
    I thought I would not like the paddle shifters, but I really do, both up and down. The semi-auto is particularly good in traffic where my clutch hand doesn't ache.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice above... good luck with your choice!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That 2011 is a great price, a good way to see if a Spyder is for you. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 Cents

If you go with a Spyder, and whatever Spyder you get, give yourself time to get used to it. Everyone I've know that comes from two wheels, and I did as well, goes through an initial timeframe of wanting to steer it like a tricycle and that gets frustrating and tiring. At some point you'll get that all it takes is a bit of leverage on the bars and it tracks like a dream, and will be the most relaxing motorcycle you've ever ridden. I tell everyone it's just like a 2 wheeled motorcycle, only opposite. Instead of just a touch of counter-steer and leaning you give just a touch of steer. It's nothing but a gentle push, unless it's a sharp turn or parking lot. You'll get it.

The best to you in your decision making. I ride my 2015 RT Limited more than any motorcycle I've ever ridden in my life! I'm 65 years young by the way.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys, That was fast for all that great info. I guess I need to get up to my dealer 10min away and take that baby for a ride. Just need to get a day that's dry and somewhat warm,funny I got there more when I lived 35 min away when it was a ride destination.

The 3cyl would be sweet but, recently bought an investment property, with a sweet shop for me next door to my house so I would have to get something for the wife also.

Got some pics of my toys below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like how you've stocked your garage!

Spyder Garage

I have minor back problems, nothing like yours, and I also have leg problems. I have a '13 ST-S SE5 (semi-auto tranny), which is pretty much the same machine as the RS except the
    leg/foot position is different. The knee bend on the ST is near 90°, the RS is more Sport Bike like. The Semi-auto tranny has to be upshifted, it will down shift as you slow down or you can down shift it yourself, for twisties etc... I can ride for 2 hours before I need to get off and stretch a bit. Since you have a number of dealers near you, check to see if they have any leftover models in stock. I got my 2013 ST-S in May of 2015 and got an awesome deal, $,$$$ off MSRP!!!!! Happy hunting!!! Oh, and welcome to the Zoo!!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default " ridiculous amount of maintenance required on the older models"

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    Like you I am new to the forum, but when I seen your post I felt the need to 'Chime in". I have a friend that works for our local dealership. He has been there for 15 years or more. When I posed the question to him about the Spyders he told me to make sure that I bought a 2014 or newer due to the ridiculous amount of maintenance required on the older models. He told me he was really impressed with the inline 3 cylinder and that they have had very few come in the shop with any problems. After talking to him and have stopped looking at anything that is older that a 2014. I have seen that there are many members in the forum that have the older model bikes and they may or may not have seen what I am typing about but just wanted to give you some good info and not upset anyone.
    "ridiculous amount of maintenance required on the older models" That is simply not true. There is slightly more maintenance required than the newer models, more frequent oil changes being one. The biggest thing is probably the recommended valve train adjustment in the owners manual. Many on here have had the recommended adjustment done at 14,000 miles , few if any had been found to be in need of being adjusted. My dealer said not to worry about it until 50,000 miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never knew that changing oil was a "ridiculous amount of maintenance"...😂😂😂

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just more maintenance; not a big deal. (Particularly if you let the dealer spin the wrenches! )
    But changing oil multiple times during a riding season might be considered as a day's worth of lost riding time.