Spyder Garage

Default Looking for weekend suggestions

bjt and I would like to make a trip north to "The Tunnel of Trees" and then north to Mackinaw City. We want to do this before our trip out to LA to test out our camping gear. Here is our plan. We would meet in Harbor Springs and have lunch. Then we would head through the tunnel of trees and up through Wilderness State park to Mackinaw City here is a link to the route.

The Tunnel or Trees and Wilderness State Park Route
    We would have dinner in Mackinaw City and then maybe a campfire and a relaxing evening. We plan to tent camp and even if that is not your thing, dinner and a campfire with friends before you go back to your hotel would sure make for a nice evening. We are not going to try to cram too much into this and we want to keep it simple, so this is the gist of it. I am looking for weekend suggestions, right now I am actually thinking of Mother's Day weekend. Let me know if anyone is interested and who might want to join us. I will try to pinpoint a weekend down soon. Not Memorial Day weekend, that one is taken for the Ride to Hell with our New England guests.
    Last edited by dltang; 04-05-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I've always wanted to see the tunnel! Fall strikes me as the best time to do so though.
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

I would love to, but Nancy will still be recovering from her surgery, and unable to ride. Besides, I love to motorcycle camp, but she certainly won't be up to crawling around to get into a tent for some time to come. Think of us on your journey. We'll have to be there in spirit only.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post
    I've always wanted to see the tunnel! Fall strikes me as the best time to do so though.
    James, most definitely would like to do this in the fall, but we are looking to go for a short trip to try out our camping gear before the LA trip. Thinking about Mother's Day weekend that way we are getting home on Sunday and can still celebrate Mother's Day with our Mom's. This would be leaving Harbor Springs and taking a two hour route through the tunnel and points north and then camping overnight at Mackinaw City.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    James, most definitely would like to do this in the fall, but we are looking to go for a short trip to try out our camping gear before the LA trip. Thinking about Mother's Day weekend that way we are getting home on Sunday and can still celebrate Mother's Day with our Mom's. This would be leaving Harbor Springs and taking a two hour route through the tunnel and points north and then camping overnight at Mackinaw City.
    Ride down to Sturgis to our BMW club's rally. We accept any kind of motorcycle. I rode the Spyder last year, and didn't get kicked out of the club. Maybe not as scenic, but good camping, nice people, and lots of fun. I have used it to test equipment a lot. May be warmer than way up north, too.......although maybe not.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post
    Fall is a great time for that ride - but I wouldn't do it in the fall on 2 wheels - lots of leaves to make things slippery.