Spyder Garage

Default USES FOR THE CB PTT BUTTON

Just curious, but has anyone found any use for this button other than for a CB. I will never use a CB. So I was thinking it would be good for a garage door opener. Don't know how to do it, wire it, or even if it's possible.
    But just thought it might be a good idea.

Any Ideas ??
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On previous bikes, I've run wires from a garage door opener to waterproof buttons I've installed. Now I use an app on my phone.

If you try to wire using the PTT switch, you'll have to CAREFULLY solder 2 wires to the small patterned connectors on the garage door opener circuit board. Very little copper, lots of parts that can be damaged by too much heat. Conceptually it's very easy to do.

If you look at the installation instructions for the CB module, it looks like the connector might be under the glovebox, but that's just a guess.

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...mber=219400611
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine has never worked right anyway...
    I NEVER push it; yet the Missus never stops talking!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    Just curious, but has anyone found any use for this button other than for a CB. I will never use a CB. So I was thinking it would be good for a garage door opener. Don't know how to do it, wire it, or even if it's possible.
    But just thought it might be a good idea.

Any Ideas ??
    Not practical. The PTT does not connect directly to any wires on the bike. The PTT button activates a contact on a printed circuit board. The circuit board is a CANBUS processor and sends a digital signal to the audio unit when you press the PTT button. If you want to do microsurgery on the circuit board you can tap into to it to connect to the switched traces on the PCB and then make use of the PTT. But if your left switch module ever craps out during the warranty period you'll most likely be out $400 since you mucked with the internals of it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I use it to fire the nose-mounted minigun:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mine has never worked right anyway...
    I NEVER push it; yet the Missus never stops talking!!

you need the ejection seat option Bob.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought the Limited; thinking that it had that...
    Now I find out that it's only part of the Un-limited package...

Spyder Garage

The PTT button connects to the left grip controller which is then connected to the CAN buss.
    You can in fact disconnect it. It is not on a circuit board.
    It has a small ribbon cable attached to it that then runs to the circuit board.
    You can cut this ribbon cable and carefully solder wires to it for what you need.

I did not take this picture but this is from someone that did exactly that.

Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob!
    That button would make for a pretty neat way to get my garage door opener in play!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The PTT button connects to the left grip controller which is then connected to the CAN buss.
    You can cut this ribbon cable and carefully solder wires to it for what you need.

Bob

]
    I stand corrected.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I figured it wouldn't be as easy as I had hoped for....thanks for the discussion !
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob

I wondered what that button was for.

I have it on my wife's ST-S.

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck; please let us know how this all works out!
    And if you can: please post a video of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joelthebiker View Post
    My project this weekend is to swap the PTT and HORN buttons. I am constantly hitting the horn button in the stock location and cant find it when I do need it. If I put it where the PTT button is, I will have no trouble finding it. Hoping its a straight forward swap.
    Most likely not. At least you shouldn't try to swap the functions of each to the other button. The horn button handles up to 10 amps or so. The PTT button handles milliamps at best. Running the horn circuit through the PTT button will undoubtedly burn up the PTT button contacts. Swapping the physical buttons may be a possibility but it would most likely require a lot of physical alteration of the switch assembly.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Most likely not. At least you shouldn't try to swap the functions of each to the other button. The horn button handles up to 10 amps or so. The PTT button handles milliamps at best. Running the horn circuit through the PTT button will undoubtedly burn up the PTT button contacts. Swapping the physical buttons may be a possibility but it would most likely require a lot of physical alteration of the switch assembly.
    I'm certaily not an auto electrician, but i would think that if the PTT button only activated a relay the difference in amperage should not be a concern, or am i being to simplistic.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I'm certaily not an auto electrician, but i would think that if the PTT button only activated a relay the difference in amperage should not be a concern, or am i being to simplistic.
    If that is the case, it would just be a signal voltage, no problem.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Just make sure the relay has a low pull-in current load. Even then it might be a bit high for the PTT since all it does is close a circuit on a printed circuit board. You could try it and see what happens.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joelthebiker View Post
    I studied the wiring diagram but the PTT circuit is not on it. I was hoping to just swap the switch locations, but that might not be possible. I will keep working on it. If I figure out a way, I will let you know. Why cant they make it a simple switch.
    It's not on the wiring diagram since it does not connect to anything on the wiring diagram. It's in the table below the wiring diagram for all the switch functions of the left multi-switch that are part of the CANbus processor. All the controls of the radio are CANbus signals.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

It is easy enough to check. Look at the switch. If it is connected by the printed flexible ribbon, it is carrying only a signal voltage.

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

you seem to know about this stuff. I just got a sena 50 r thinking on getting the cb radio adapter. I want to hook up my cb on the bike to it. can it be done

Spyder Garage

Last post on this thread 11/2016.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Although it's an old thread it may be useful to somebody; this can be done, I've done a few non OEM cb installs. Your soldering needs to be very good! The ribbon cable can be cut and the surface plastic scraped away to reveal the copper tracks. The problem is that one track is very thin and fragile and it will break off if the soldered wire is pulled, even lightly. The solution is to solder a very light wire to the tracks - I use fuse wire - then trap the soldered joint between two small pieces of rubber - superglue the rubber pieces and bring them together around the soldered joint taking care not to glue your fingers to the whole thing! Once this is done you can now solder fine cables the the fuse wire tails. Take the small cables and glue them to somewhere convenient to anchor them. Once you've done that you can route the cables out of the handle bars. If your cable is sizeable you may need to make a small notch in the edge of the plastic so as not to pinch the cable as the switch assembly is tightened closed.

In my case I use the PTT switch to ground a cable from a relay coil so the relay caries the active load for whatever device I switch using the PTT button.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.