Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting to look at a rt

Hi everybody
    My wife and I are starting to look into buying a rt and would like some advise. Should we stay away from any years for problems or they all about the same? And any other things we should look for, we will be going to dealers to look. Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leemorin View Post
    Hi everybody
    My wife and I are starting to look into buying a rt and would like some advise. Should we stay away from any years for problems or they all about the same? And any other things we should look for, we will be going to dealers to look. Any help would be appreciated

thanks
    You should be looking for the 1330 engine.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013s were a trouble-prone year although I think they got most of the issues (including heat issues) fixed with recalls.

Pre-2013s have V-Twin engines and 5 speed (semi-automatic) transmissions. It's a good power train but you may have to maintain the RPMs higher than you're used to in most cruiser type V-Twins. 2014 forward has a 3 cylinder in-line motor and a 6 speed transmission. New motor is higher torque, lower RPM than its predecessor and it's been reliable so far. Most people who have owned both much prefer the newer motor. Bob Denman has both and I'm confident he'll chime in with his assessment (and some meme) shortly.

Happy shopping - you won't go wrong.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 12 with no issues but if I was out looking again, like stated above, go with a 14 up for the 1330 engine. The 998 is peppy but the 1330 with the power gain and the fuel mileage gain is the way to go.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another vote on the "1330" pile!
    Although the 998 bikes are still pretty darn good too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome ! Hope you find the Spyder that is perfect for you. I have never had the chance to ride any other than my 2015 RT-S SE6....for me and my wife that is the best option. +1 on the 1330 engine...can't go wrong with the triple...
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Welcome

I have a 2010 RT SM5 and am very happy with it. The 1330 engine would probably be nice but even though the wife wants one I don't think I would get the semi auto but hey you never know.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love the 1330 motor (had no issues with their first motor) and the semi-auto transmission.
    Lot of years of shifting behind me (vehicles & bikes) so I was ready for the change.
    Check out the left overs if you can afford it. Takes some sting out of their high pricing. Good luck.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my '14 with the 1330. Had an '11 and it was also a great bike but can't compare to my '14. I always get the base model and "trick" it from there. A '15 or '16 would be a great bike. If you want Floorboards instead of pegs, check out my Seal Floorboards. Save a bunch of $$$ and get the best RT Floorboard available anywhere. Who needs a set of tiny suitcases anyway? Crome is for those who want to polish instead of ride? Make your RT uniquely yours instead of "cookie cuter", AND.......Ride in comfort.
    John
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 11-04-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Another in the 1330 ACE camp.

I owned a 2011 RT-S and just upgraded to a 2014 RT-Limited. As mentioned several times above, some of the improvements over the 998 are:
    - far better acceleration and smoothness
    - six speed vs. five speed transmission
    - better fuel economy - even without engaging the ECO feature
    - redesigned engine airflow, so your right pantleg/boot won't melt during/after a ride (over-exaggerating just a bit, but they do throw a lot of heat)

I'm not knocking the 998 at all. That was a great machine and there are some deals to be had for those models, no doubt.

But, if you can swing it - seriously look at a 2014+, 1330 engine.

LOVE THIS ENGINE.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

2010 to 2013 they were the V-twin 998 5 speed trans engine type from 2014 on they are the 1330 triple 6 speed trans. The 2010 had problems as it was the first and Joe public had not worked out all the kinks. They were ultimately all corrected and as long as all updates were done are good with the best being the 2012 jmo. I am fond of the twin but understand that if you are looking at the touring (plush ryde) you would be better off looking at the 2014 and up. There are many good deals out there but no doubt you will find greater ones on the pre 2014 models. As usual will come down to you but a test ryde on both may clear things up nicely for you....happy shopping...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Test ride and budget. Get the newest and lowest mileage one you can afford. My 2012 has been a great bike with a few minor problems covered by the warranty. Good luck.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default rt 998?

have 998 2011rt, first one so I plumped for a cheaper start. just incase I didn't like the riding style, came from sports tourers, Honda vfr1200f which I still have, but so far after 3months really liking it, will swap out in about a year or for 2015 at least.
    good luck with your pick.
    cheers nasty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Test ride and budget. Get the newest and lowest mileage one you can afford. My 2012 has been a great bike with a few minor problems covered by the warranty. Good luck.
    The best judge: is YOU!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that the 2014s or newer are the way to go. Let us know how it ends up. And of course you must post a pic when you get a Spyder home.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default What Fuel Mileage gain?

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
    I have a 12 with no issues but if I was out looking again, like stated above, go with a 14 up for the 1330 engine. The 998 is peppy but the 1330 with the power gain and the fuel mileage gain is the way to go.
    I've learned in a very short time that one thing I cannot pass on the Spyder is a gas station! I can hardly imagine what the "gain" would've been from...... What was the mileage BEFORE the 1330?

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 and 2016 rt

I started with a used 2011 rt se5, loved it, got over 30mpg riding double. and really like the low end torque. Now we have a 2016 RTS.
    40 plus mpg. I have seen a lot of issue's discussed with the 2014 rt's on this web site. The one thing I have noticed with our 2016 is BRP must have made some changes because it rides and handle much better.

Spyder Garage

Default what do you have now ?

if you are on 2 wheels , and are just shopping , go for not so expensive , when you find one , look in this arena { spyder lovers } and look at the comments for the one you are looking at , and judge from there ... { I just purchased a 2012 , S M 5 has the clutch on the handle bar } had a great time with it , but one problem , I had was the clutch , { you can look up 2012 clutch , and you can see what type of problems can be found , I repaired mine with a friend , took photos , and explained what was going on ... but do not be scared of the text you read , just do research ... } now why do I have a feeling you just found a 2014 r-t spyder ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jlbmpo View Post
    I've learned in a very short time that one thing I cannot pass on the Spyder is a gas station! I can hardly imagine what the "gain" would've been from...... What was the mileage BEFORE the 1330?
    My 2010 RT averaged 33.5 mpg.
    My 2014 RT is averaging 38.5 mpg.

I regularly exceed 40 mpg; my 38.5 average includes a certain trip. taken at speeds that I don't talk about... much!

Spyder Garage

I have both a 2011 and a 2014. The 2014 is my favorite with the 1330 three cylinder and six speed.

If money is not an object, the 2014 plus is worth it. Any other RT is a good choice. The 2013 RT heat issues have been fixed with air scoops being installed by dealers.

Its your choice. Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My 2010 RT averaged 33.5 mpg.
    My 2014 RT is averaging 38.5 mpg.

I regularly exceed 40 mpg; my 38.5 average includes a certain trip. taken at speeds that I don't talk about... much!

I would definitely look for a 2014 and up RT. I bought on from a forum member a couple months ago and love the 1330 engine. That being said I don't understand how people are getting these MPG's????
    i only get 32-33 and I haven't been riding very spirited. It's back roads at 45mph and some interstate at 65mph. Haven't been speeding because I want to see what kind of MPG it was capable of.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On that "unmentionable" trip: my mileage dropped as low as 28 mpg... but the speeds were a bit on the "Frisky" side...
    Suffice it to say, that I'd never get within 20 mph of those speeds with the Missus on her perch!

Spyder Garage

An other vote for the "1330".

My 2014RTS-SE6 has 16,000 miles.

Low maint. Quiter engine, higher torque, smoother ride, less fill-ups, 6 speed transmission etc. even riding 2 up /or towing a trailer you have a lot of power.

Take a test drive, If I was getting a new spyder, I would go with the "1330" engine, and look @ 2014 and up.

Get the extended "B.E.S.T" warranty. Good luck! Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 11-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2010 had an issue every 3000 miles and my wife was nervous to go riding very far away.

MY 2014 has been largely problem free at 37K, and has far better performance.

The 2014's forward are basically the same machine, and would be my suggestion. These are the 1330 engines.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

2014 & up with semi-auto transmission. Best Bet on a RT

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer