Spyder Garage

Default Dash lite wont come on during daylight

my daylite display on my instrument / control panel will not lite up during thru day, it does come on at night. Any body dealt with this problem?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bumpadug View Post
    my daylite display on my instrument / control panel will not lite up during thru day, it does come on at night. Any body dealt with this problem?
    The only thing you'll see in the daytime is the main screen in the center. Is it gray, black, & white? It turns to orange color at night. All the other instruments like the tach and speedo and the handlebar controls are lit all the time but you can't see the light until it's dark.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What year & make spyder you got? Have you checked the dash connections, maybe cleaned the screen recently?? The night mode coming on is good indicator the screen is still good but the sensor may be the problem.

Just a thought
    Further testing would include covering the dash or park indoors to start in night mode, then expose to daylight see it it swaps over while running.
    Good luck & let us know what you find

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I am not sure where the sensor is, everything is functional except the back lite. today I pushed on the upper left corner and it came on, but the next time I shut it off and re started it was off and pushing on the screen did not work. I am thinking of removing the dash to take a look behind and check for loose fittings. I can't find any info in the owners manual and I need to get a good service manual. thought I would ask others before I venture to far.

Spyder Garage

it is a 2015 RT

Spyder Garage

On your 2015 the backlighting should come on orange when its dark out. During the day you don't see any lighting.

Before tearing anything apart, try the darkened garage test, or put a blanket cover over the dash. You should have orange background, the gauges lit, and assorted things on the control buttons lit up.

The sensor for the lights is somewhere on the speedo gauge. Cover that with a piece of black tape and you should have an orange dash (not to be confused with the orange screen of death). Bob D. knows exactly where. He will probably catch this tomorrow.

I hope the fix is as easy as suggested here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ty
    I do get the orange lite at dark but the screen does not lite up during daylite, it is black but it is functioning. just can't see anything. I will try the dark test tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

ty
    I do get the orange lite at dark but the screen does not lite up during daylite, it is black but it is functioning. just can't see anything. I will try the dark test tomorrow.
    Time for a trip to the dealer for warranty work. The cluster has gone kaput I think. I wouldn't mess with it all if it's still under warranty. That's one sure way to screw yourself out of something like $800. The cluster is a totally sealed unit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input

I can handle a screwdriver but this new tech is way beyond my 65 yr old brain. of course I am snow birding in palm springs, CA and there is not a local dealer. At this point I will contact my dealer at home to see what they suggest. I was thinking Hammer!!

ON ANOTHER ISSUE: I have that wonderful vibration showing up at 65 mph. seems like mixed feelings about the belt adjustment or adding a after market tensioner. Any thoughts on this?

TY

Doug

Spyder Garage

ON ANOTHER ISSUE: I have that wonderful vibration showing up at 65 mph. seems like mixed feelings about the belt adjustment or adding a after market tensioner. Any thoughts on this?
    Do a search for belt vibration. You'll read posts until your eyes get blurry and your brain gets fuzzy!!! You'll get a lot more info doing that than waiting for responses here, or even if you post a new thread!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Could it be your contrast is set to low?

Spyder Garage

thanks for all your inputs
    I now have no lite at all, day or night. into the shop in Las Vegas on the 16th. they figure the unit will be replaced. they are going to check the vibration also but with tones of others having the same issue I think it comes down to the long belt. I will post the results but most likely won't be until march as we store the scooter for a couple of months while we return to Canada.

Safe ridding

Doug