Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belt damage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DAMAGE

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    I will post a pic, but the dealer claims that BRP wants both sprockets replaced when the belt is. They said there is a slight chip in a rear sprocket tooth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    In addition to all the warnings given by others about ...your dealer .... I am sure that Front sprocket is STEEL ....... I can't believe a ROCK could damage it !!!!!!! ................ JMO ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Collision or Comp? nm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you have collision coverage on your bike: you might want to give your insurance agent a call, and see if this is covered.
    (It should be!)
    NM
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See I did not even know there was such a thing as this!!!

Question. How long does something like this have to be charged? So that it will work if needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Smell of burning rubber

I've noticed the smell of burning rubber when I get off my bike after a lengthy ride. I'm "assuming" that is from the belt breaking in but now I'm concerned. I have not seen any visible damage but $1800.00 is highway robbery if you ask me. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Put the belt back on and keep riding and stop worrying. Unless the chords are broken or "teeth" torn off you could ride many , many miles without any problem. As Bob said, this looks like "road Hazard" and your insurance should cover it if so desired. The Belts are one of the toughest things on the Spyder. I have ridden Harleys for thousands of mile with belts that looked much worse than that.

Jack

These are the best I could do. Thanks for all your responses. Right now I'm leaning towards having a non- BRP mechanic just change the belt out next spring.

Read the above.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    NM

This would not be covered under collision but rather Comprehensive (road Hazard) Bob will correct if wrong!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default burnin rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I've noticed the smell of burning rubber when I get off my bike after a lengthy ride. I'm "assuming" that is from the belt breaking in but now I'm concerned. I have not seen any visible damage but $1800.00 is highway robbery if you ask me. My thoughts.

yupp, happens everytime with mine too. havent figgered it out yet. after a 5 hour ride when i park in my garage i smell the rubber burnin smell as if i did a burn out 1/2 hour earlier. havent investigated it in depth yet.
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyDerSts View Post
    yupp, happens everytime with mine too. havent figgered it out yet. after a 5 hour ride when i park in my garage i smell the rubber burnin smell as if i did a burn out 1/2 hour earlier. havent investigated it in depth yet.
    I've checked my belt and it looks new yet the smell of rubber? I'm also getting used to not only a new machine but a different type as well. I park my beast in my garage and thats when I notice it. I do not burn, abuse or mishandle my ride so burning rubber?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    I was charged a full hour of labor for PA state inspection at the new local dealer. I was only there for a half an hour & it was a new vehicle. Probably didn't check anything & just put the sticker on. I'll find out if they are a good dealership when I take it back next year for front end alignment & oil change.
    In NC the annual state motorcycle inspection is $13.60. Just a safety inspection (just like a Diesel truck). Also any vehicle less than 3 years old only requires a safety inspection here.

Some states are ripping people off .....

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Run it and watch it. I caught a tar coated rock early on and now at 32,000 no problem. Good luck.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I had a thought of mounting a small angled brush just above the belt near the rear sprocket to act as a rock rake to prevent this sort of things. Any thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears to me that something rubbed against the belt. So many of the belts teeth are marked. If it was a rock caught in a tooth, it should always line up with the same tooth on the belt. Since there is no damage to the edge I see no reason not to ride it. A cut on the edge would allow it to tear.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Seems I remember

If you have collision coverage on your bike: you might want to give your insurance agent a call, and see if this is covered.
    (It should be!)
    Couple of post's in the past have said they were covered by Road Hazard. You're the expert. I'm simply replying from recall. Were it me, I'd make the call to my insurer.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't see enough damage to change out that belt, just find a different dealer and ride your Spyder as is.
    In California we have something called the B.A.R. Bureau of automotive repair, they are the watchdog for this
    kind of price gouging. They have the power to shut down the shop who does unneeded repairs, also they require
    them to give you all the old parts for inspection to see if they needed to be replaced.

Spyder Garage

Dealer is out of his mind. Got photos of the sprockets?
    Make sure it's properly aligned and has the right tension and then just keep an eye on it. That dealer is crooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    This would not be covered under collision but rather Comprehensive (road Hazard) Bob will correct if wrong!

Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Couple of post's in the past have said they were covered by Road Hazard. You're the expert. I'm simply replying from recall. Were it me, I'd make the call to my insurer.
    I should have prefaced my comment with something like: "Your State's insurance laws may vary..."
    New York State does not have a "Road Hazard" category. It would be a Collision Damage claim up here...
    But it might be covered elsewhere in your State.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    In NC the annual state motorcycle inspection is $13.60. Just a safety inspection (just like a Diesel truck). Also any vehicle less than 3 years old only requires a safety inspection here.

Some states are ripping people off .....
    NY MC Inspection is $6. Probably the only bargain left in the state! Whoops! Just saw the registration for the bike went from $30 to $60!!! Thought it was to good to be true..
    Last edited by jneg2; 05-03-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

So I'm in for 9,300 service, and I'm told that the belt has been damaged, probably from a rock. There is a little fraying on the inner edge and part of the teeth. This will be an $1,800 job with both sprockets having to be replaced. Anybody want to chime on on this?

I wouldn’t replace the belt right now, I’d just monitor it. As far as the nicks are concerned, how big are they? If they’re simply small nicks I don’t why theres a need to replace the pully? Are you sure your dealer wasn’t a Harley dealer before selling a Spyders?

Spyder Garage

Has no one in the aftermarket come up with a complete guard for the belt ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

(It should be!)
    Reply to a year old thread is always dangerous, but in the quote above - DON'T!!!! report it unless IT'S YOUR ONLY WAY OUT. Even a simple call to your agent with a question about a claim whether it's subsequently paid or not will have that report on your insurance for a very long time and may affect your rates.

>CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Did you ever get any pictures of the sprockets that BRP said to change them.
    Or did you just take a file to the burr that was on them.
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    A file can clean up that chip on the sprocket fairly easily. Did that to mine about 20k miles ago when I got a chip. Still running the same belt with no problems. Make sure it is smooth to the touch. I would monitor and ryde it. That is very minor damage.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, use a file or a stone (machinist version) and smooth off any burrs on both pulleys and ride it, the belt doesn't look that bad at all.

Spyder Garage

The fact that the swingarm is round, I am told, seems to be the issue regarding the belt guard question.