Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GIVI Bags Mounting

I'm in the process of installing GIVI Bags on my new. They furnish brackets to relocate turn-signals to the rear fender. I really don't like the set-up. Has anyone mounted these bags and come up with a better idea? Looking forward to your feedback!!

Thanks,Slim

So far: NMN 4" Risers,CHAD Windsheild,BRP Sport Rack/BackRest,Trunk Liner,Highway Pegs,Hindle Pipe,Hi-Flo Air Filter. Should have my seat back this Wk. W/Utopia Driver Backrest installed.

Spyder Garage

I suppose thats one nice thing about the Thibault Engineering / Industries 7 GIVI rack design over the GIVI design. They relocate the turn signals to a small tab on the rack that has the same cutout as the BRP plastic that the turn signals came from. It keeps them up in the same area instead of relocating them to the fender like you are saying the GIVI rack does.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I suppose thats one nice thing about the Thibault Engineering / Industries 7 GIVI rack design over the GIVI design. They relocate the turn signals to a small tab on the rack that has the same cutout as the BRP plastic that the turn signals came from. It keeps them up in the same area instead of relocating them to the fender like you are saying the GIVI rack does.

And it looks like to BRP mounting bracket for the BRP branded Givi bags will do similar to the Industries 7 rack.

Spyder Garage

We almost ordered the GIVI bags from GIVI through the dealer because of the price difference. The GIVI racks were not available (so we ordered from Industries 7) and I am glad they weren't available after I saw a pic someone had put on this forum. At present there may not be any alternative, but someone will come up with an idea for the turn signals and the GIVI racks. You may be that one!
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-05-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

We also did the Industries7 rack for the side bags (and mated it to Kewl's tail rack). VERY pleased with the result! I would think having the signals on the fender would subject them to much vibes and would require bulb replacements (JMNSHO).
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I have an idea for someone with the tools to do it. Make an extension coming out of the same holes the lights are connected to. Move the lights farther back using this extension and remount them on the end of the extension. Shouldn't have any weight stress problems. The lights are pretty lite in weight.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Mounted the rack but the blinker position looked plain ugly.
    My solution, obtained short stem units from mail order and mounted them in the original holes. wiring was fairly straightforward, just nip off the originals and crimp on spade fittings which hide up in the original positions. The bulbs in the units are 12v 23w so plenty bright enough.
    cant post a picture as my camera and computer are not talking to each other !!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My initial reaction to the fender mounted turn signals was the same, what were they thinking? They now have a wire loom that assists with the installation of the turn signals so you don't have to be McGiver, but it doesn't solve the rear fender location. I have been trying to design some decent looking brackets to relocate them back up where they were while also asking Givi if the BRP rack turn signal bracket will work. No answer yet. In the meantime, I have started to get used to them on the fender. Like windshields, risers, mirror extensions, and other mods, what looks bad to some doesn't look as bad to others. All I know is that for the $170 difference in price between the Givi and I7, I will leave them on the fender until I or someone figures something out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks JohnBoyJohn,great idea,just ordered a pr. of short-stemed turnsignals from Dennis Kirk. They are almost identical to the stock units.So much for that problem,LOVE this web sightDuane

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slimiam70 View Post
    Thanks JohnBoyJohn,great idea,just ordered a pr. of short-stemed turnsignals from Dennis Kirk. They are almost identical to the stock units.So much for that problem,LOVE this web sightDuane

Sorry Sorry Sorry, forgot to mention the overall length of the blinker must be no more than 3 1/2 inches with the Givi rack as clos fitting as it is. Any longer and it will foul the rear of the case.

Getting old and forgetful
    Best of luck

johnboy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Part Number???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry about the delay. Received turn-signals today. With the addition of a couple of washers and some wire splicing,they fit perfect. These are Dennis Kirk #211382,they are alittle pricey,but very,very bright!!(LEDS)

Hope this helps,Slim

Spyder Garage

Sorry about the delay. Received turn-signals today. With the addition of a couple of washers and some wire splicing,they fit perfect. These are Dennis Kirk #211382,they are alittle pricey,but very,very bright!!(LEDS)

Hope this helps,Slim
    Glad you got it working for you! When you get a chance could you share the completion with pics?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hope this helps,Slim
    They may be very, very bright, but they are not DOT approved. Not sure that anyone would ever know that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help!

I'm wanting to put Givi hardcases on my Spyder, so all of the comments are very helpful. Where would I find the Industries 7 Givi rack? I'm not finding it on line.

Thanks!
    YZWMN

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YSWMN View Post
    I'm wanting to put Givi hardcases on my Spyder, so all of the comments are very helpful. Where would I find the Industries 7 Givi rack? I'm not finding it on line.

Thanks!
    YZWMN
    We ordered ours through the dealer. If you go to Industries 7 site, you can find a contact email and I believe phone number. Maybe they can direct you if your dealer can't order for you.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YSWMN View Post

Thanks!
    YZWMN
    Here it is for you!

http://www.nomagicneon.com/industries7.pdf

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Didn't know you sold them. Will refer others to you in the future.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Wow! Thanks for the speedy information! I'll check the website and call the dealer in Portland where I bought my bike.

Spyder Garage

So if I'm understanding this correctly, there are 3 options for mounting Givi bags:

1. InD 7 rack system.
    2. Givi Rack system.
    3. Soon to be release BRP rack system.

Is this correct?

Anyone actually seen the BRP rack? I read the BRP rack can be detached in a matter of minutes - which would be nice.

Spyder Garage

Not sure about the BRP rack but my I7 rack can be detached in minutes also. Two bolts under the seat, muffler hanger bolt and a corresponding one on the other side, and one screw at the tip of the underseat pan. Add another 5 - 10 minutes for popping the turn signals off the rack and putting them back on the Spyder's side panel and I figure 15 - 20 minutes tops to go from I7 rack to stock. You could probably cut that time in half if you did if fairly often.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, there are 3 options for mounting Givi bags:

1. InD 7 rack system.
    2. Givi Rack system.
    3. Soon to be release BRP rack system.

Is this correct?

Anyone actually seen the BRP rack? I read the BRP rack can be detached in a matter of minutes - which would be nice.
    I have not seen the BRP/GIVI mount, but if it's the GIVI mount, then it's probably going to be turn signals on the fender. I have the Industries 7 setup and it's VERY well put together! We are very satisfied with it. If you have any questions, call Magic, he sells them.
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-14-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I have not seen the BRP/GIVI mount, but if it's the GIVI mount, then it's probably going to be turn signals on the finder. I have the Industries 7 setup and it's VERY well put together! We are very satisfied with it. If you have any questions, call Magic, he sells them.
    I was thinking about this and it would make sense that the BRP rack would actually be the same as the Givi rack. I've seen the IND7 and was impressed.

Spyder Garage

Does this look like they moved the turn signals?

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...6-d715e67b05b5

I can't tell from the angle. They also mention a quick-release for the brackets themselves.

Spyder Garage

Okay, it seems the Givi mount that someone posted about actually mounts the turn signals onto the back fender. Found a photo of it at premiercycleaccessories.com.

Looks terrible.

It now appears the BRP rack setup is different than the Givi because the turn signals don't get relocated.