Spyder Garage

Default Maybe thinking of trading in my 2015 FS3 for a watercraft at dealership

Good morning guys. I've been thinking of maybe trying to sell or trade in my 2015 FS3. Was thinking of trying to talk to the dealership that I got it from about it. I love the spyder but the only time I ride it is to and from work pretty much any more. I thought the wife would like to ride on it with me from time to time more but she really has only been on one trip with me and thats it. We like to ride jet ski's and after I bought the spyder I bought a new yamaha wave runner. I have another older jetski but I broke a piston ring and I have the motor out and getting it rebuilt soon and that is why I bought the new one. I just feel like I would like just maybe trade it in to the dealership and maybe for another watercraft. Would a dealership do this even though I have not payed it off and only had it for just about a year? I kind of miss the space in the garage with everything in it. I know I will not get the full trade in value of the FS3. Its a 2015 and I have yet to get 3,000 miles on it yet! I have put upgrades on it but kept the parts that I took off. I would put it back to the way I bought it if I do decide to trade it in right? Like I said, I love it but I don't ride it like I was wanting too. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wish you the best of luck

Sorry you are not riding more. I would say he would do it. I'm not sure if you would be happy with trade price but he may surprise us. Let us know how you make out.

Spyder Garage

it's going to be hard for people to help you on this one. this is something you have to decide by yourself. i sold my 14 rtl because i didn't ride it much any more, plus i was having a cash flow problem. DO I MISS THE BIKE, i sure do. but i did what i think was the best for me. so good luck on whatever you decide to do
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I know this might be waaay out there, but.... What about making the effort to ryde it more than you do?? Maybe even plan that trip the wife's been hankering to do for a while, and do it on the Spyder?? If she's a bit concerned about ryding so far or being uncomfortable on it for long periods, maybe you plan the trip with 'impossible to resist' overnighter stays in places or hotels that are not too far apart & that will pamper you both, you might be surprised at how much she loves it if you get the stops sorted properly in/at places she really enjoys!

Or you could take the hit & trade it on something else.... altho from the sounds of it, doing that could well mean you end up with something else that'll probably end up spending more time than it should in the garage!!

Cuz is absolutely right in that it's your choice about all this, but seriously - If you don't make the time to enjoy these things &/or the life you've got, no one else & certainly no toy you might buy instead is ever gonna do it for you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-03-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm now kind of thinking of just seeing if the dealer might just buy it back from me. I know I will still lose some money though. I think I would just like to sell it back to them and just pay all my bills. I could use the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Can-Am dealer that I use is a BRP Watersport dealer as well i am sure he would take the trade. I know car dealers that take them on trade, I know a home contractor that recently did a big remodel and took a motorcycle plus cash on the trade. I saw a lawn tractor dealer that was selling a MC recently, no bout took it on trade. Go for it!

i do feel your pain, I bought mine with the hopes of my wife ryding with me as well. She does not hate it but she does not like a Ryde more than 20 minutes and this thing of a group ride with friends to, "ride for three hours, then eat, to ride three more hours, that is rediculous, who does that?", well it is just not going as planned.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I don't have any advise or suggestions, and you seem to have your plan together anyway. I just want to wish you the best of luck in your negotiation of a fair price.

Oh wait, I do have a suggestion... If you are NOT going to trade it, and if you have some time, why not see if you can sell it yourself and maybe get more than the dealer would offer. ...or if you don't want to do that and you don't like the dealer's offer, see if he will sell it on consignment for you and keep 10% of the sale.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I don't have any advise or suggestions, and you seem to have your plan together anyway. I just want to wish you the best of luck in your negotiation of a fair price.

Oh wait, I do have a suggestion... If you are NOT going to trade it, and if you have some time, why not see if you can sell it yourself and maybe get more than the dealer would offer. ...or if you don't want to do that and you don't like the dealer's offer, see if he will sell it on consignment for you and keep 10% of the sale.
    Thought about selling it myself. Never sold any kind of vehicle before. Would not know what to ask for it or the ins and outs of transferring the title and payments over to someone. I have time to look.

2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mini73 View Post
    Thought about selling it myself. Never sold any kind of vehicle before. Would not know what to ask for it or the ins and outs of transferring the title and payments over to someone. I have time to look.

I've bought and sold vehicles in 9 states. In each case except one, Oregon, the seller signs over the title and the seal is done. In Oregon you have/had to get the signature notarized.

If you are still making payments it is a little more complicated, but not that bad. Your bank works with the buyers bank. If he is paying cash you have him pay your bank the payout, and the bank gives him a bill of sale and a title will come in the mail in a few days.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Is it a SE6 or SM6 model ? Also looks to be the F3S or just the F3?
    thanks, David

Spyder Garage

It's a F3S. SM6

Last edited by mini73; 11-03-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

As mentioned it is ultimately your decission... I am sure your dealer or any other dealer can work something out for you. How much will you lose...?? will it be worth it..? but you seem to have your mind made up. Do you really need another watercraft..? you have one good one and fixing up the other as I understand and could use the money from the sale to pay off some bills. Getting another watercraft will still get you nowhere in that respect...This is also a less that good time to be looking to sell or trade a spyder but a good time to be looking at watercraft...choices...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As far as I the value there are several ways to identify one.

Visit some of the dealer sites for used models like yours, c what they r selling for. You could also check ebay or cycle trader.com to find prices.

another source is kbb.com and find the motorcycle section, that will give you trade in ( wholesale ) or retail for your specific geographic area.

Regarding paperwork and such your bank will help if you have a relationship or the DMV in your state.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't think you ride your Spyder enough, wait until you have to wait for warm days to ride your watercraft, not to mention loading and unloading and storing when not/cant be used.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. It's going to be up to the dealer for sure.

Hope you paid enough down so that you are not "upside down" (owe the bank more than book trade in value). That is the big problem on a one year old machine. Most new vehicles depreciate 25 to 35% the second you drive them off the dealer lot. It's okay if you plan to keep them for awhile, but trading or trying to sell back a year later can be an issue if you did not have a good deal up front or have most of the balance financed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    If you don't think you ride your Spyder enough, wait until you have to wait for warm days to ride your watercraft, not to mention loading and unloading and storing when not/cant be used.
    I've been owning jet skis since 2003. I have wetsuits to ride in the winter and the unloading and loading doesn't bother me. It doesn't really get that cold here during the winter anyways.

2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma. It's going to be up to the dealer for sure.

Hope you paid enough down so that you are not "upside down" (owe the bank more than book trade in value). That is the big problem on a one year old machine. Most new vehicles depreciate 25 to 35% the second you drive them off the dealer lot. It's okay if you plan to keep them for awhile, but trading or trying to sell back a year later can be an issue if you did not have a good deal up front or have most of the balance financed.
    I had a pre approved loan before I bought the spyder. I know I will not get everything back and that's my fault. Oh well. I have a guy I work with that says his dad might be interested in it. Maybe he will buy it and I'll get enough to pay it off.

2015 Spyder F3-s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!

Fingers Crossed.gif
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black