Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s question

I recently purchased some barely-used Sena 20s headset units. I've installed them on my helmets, updated the software (iPhone, Sena and Garmin), synched them with everything.

The arrangement I have is iPhone to Sena, Garmin to Sena, Sena to Sena. I began by resetting the Senas to factory settings. Everything works initially. When I received a call it shows up on the Garmin and on the iPhone. If I press "Answer" on the Garmin the call is answered and I can talk and listen. However this only last a few seconds, perhaps 10 or less. The phone call shows that is is in progress, but I can't hear an the person on the other end of the phone call can't hear either.

I've been through the process of resetting the Senas to factory settings, removing the pairing between everything and everything, and starting over a couple of times.

What am I missing?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s question

Just a guess but did u pair the GPS as a 2nd phone or follow directions to have it paired as a gps? Mine seems to work but it's paired as a GPS. Once u get the prompt to pair 2nd phone u hit phone button quickly again and it says pair GPS.
    I'm no expert. Just offering my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I paired it as a second phone - that's the manner I was used to with my Cardo units and according to the user's manual that is an acceptable method.

Sena capture.JPG
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I paired it as a second phone - that's the manner I was used to with my Cardo units and according to the user's manual that is an acceptable method.

Sena capture.JPG
    It may be acceptable but if you're not getting the results you want you might try something different. Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

I tried this method because I couldn't get it to work in the other manner.

I guess next I'll try swapping the driver and passenger units.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedRTS View Post
    Just a guess but did u pair the GPS as a 2nd phone or follow directions to have it paired as a gps? Mine seems to work but it's paired as a GPS. Once u get the prompt to pair 2nd phone u hit phone button quickly again and it says pair GPS.
    I'm no expert. Just offering my two cents.

I agree with above.
    Try pairing the GPS as a GPS, and NOT as a second phone.
    Then on the Spyder's digital display, go into Settings and ensure "NAV" volume is increased as it defaults to zero regardless of what the Sena's volume or GPS volume is set to.

Hope that helps.
    SuperDave_GPS
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada

"Rosie"
    2016 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave_GPS View Post
    I agree with above.
    Try pairing the GPS as a GPS, and NOT as a second phone.
    Then on the Spyder's digital display, go into Settings and ensure "NAV" volume is increased as it defaults to zero regardless of what the Sena's volume or GPS volume is set to.

Hope that helps.
    I've tried it both ways, each time clearing all of the existing BlueTooth connections beforehand. Same results.

Just got off the phone with Sena who said it sounded like I was doing everything right. So, my next step will be to swap the driver and passenger units to see if it is related to the primary unit.

I love technology (when it works), but sometimes it looks at me and decides to show me who's boss.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem, but with android phone. The fix was to pair my phone to the gps for data only, and pair my phone to my 20s for calls only. My gps does not need to be paired to the 20s because it is already reporting instructions over the bike audio system. I'm using the bluetooth dongle and have the bike speakers turned off. The reason for pairing data only from my phone to the gps is because I subscribed to the Garmin Traffic Alert service which is a phone app. The gps will get traffic info from the phone and reroute me around traffic jams. Works very well.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same issue. I had ti unpair my phone, pair the phone to the Garmin, and just the Garmin to the Sena 20s. Works perfect now. When both are paired it is like they are both trying to answer the phone and the Garmin over rides the phone with the headset.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Same setup

I also have a pair of 20s, Garmin 590 and IPhone 6s.
    The only different thing than you described, my phone and gps do not link.
    Phone is for music, receiving a call, or nav if I'm lost and gps is not along.
    GPS is just for nav if I took time to plan a route.
    Rider comm to passenger and to other bikes works. I was going to say update but you did - are you aware that as the software is updated the manual becomes obsolete, best to check the online version there too. Sorry can't help other than to tell you it can work.

Spyder Garage

After trying (and retrying) virtually everything, I determined the problem was between the Garmin and my iPhone, not the 20S. Further searching said the issue was almost certainly an incompatibility between by iPhone 6 and the Garmin 660 after I upgraded the phone to IOS 10. Not sure, but that's how things are working.

I've taken the Garmin out of the loop and have only a connection between the 20S and the iPhone and it seems to work. I may try to add the Garmin to 20S pairing, but if that makes it not work I'll just eliminate the Garmin.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!