Thread: The Concord

Spyder Garage

Default The Concord

I read an article in Flying Magazine many years ago about barrel rolling the Concord. It was built to take such stresses. The aircraft stretches six inches in flight. That's why the flooring is on rollers where the passengers are sitting.
    It's too bad these are not flying anymore. What a beautiful aircraft it was!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSnh-4EiBYM

Spyder Garage

when i did a job at kennedy airport years ago, one day i saw it land, and another day i watched it take off. it was beautiful
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Very cool

One amazing aircraft....sadly only on display on some aircraft carriers today. Guess it was just to far ahead of it's time and to expensive but we may see the return of it or similar craft some day...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    One amazing aircraft....sadly only on display on some aircraft carriers today. Guess it was just to far ahead of it's time and to expensive but we may see the return of it or similar craft some day...
    It's on the Intrepid...

562x422px-British%20Airways%20Concorde%20at%20the%20Intrepid%20Sea%20Air%20and%20Space%20Museum.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A real beauty from days gone by. It was ahead of its time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Beautiful and Deadly..............poor design placed the fuel tanks immediately above and behind
    the main landing gear. Right where runway debris and chunks of blown tires can impact. Grim safety record.

I appreciate the thing about it "stretching". It's actually expanding however. Much like the SR 71 Blackbird.
    which leaks fuel on the tarmac, and the wet wings don't seal until the titanium skin heats and expands to it's
    engineered size.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Beautiful and Deadly..............poor design placed the fuel tanks immediately above and behind
    the main landing gear. Right where runway debris and chunks of blown tires can impact. Grim safety record.

I appreciate the thing about it "stretching". It's actually expanding however. Much like the SR 71 Blackbird.
    which leaks fuel on the tarmac, and the wet wings don't seal until the titanium skin heats and expands to it's
    engineered size.
    It might be a bit low on the charts; but hardly grim:

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

use too watch this bird take off from dallas fort worth international airport in the early 80`s have it on a photo in my crap-o-la , you could hear it from 10 miles off , then after it passed you could hear the engines kick it into over drive , so-too- speak ,

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I read an article in Flying Magazine many years ago about barrel rolling the Concord. It was built to take such stresses. The aircraft stretches six inches in flight. That's why the flooring is on rollers where the passengers are sitting.
    It's too bad these are not flying anymore. What a beautiful aircraft it was!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSnh-4EiBYM
    They must have had some really BIG arresting cables to land that thing on the ship!

Spyder Garage

Hi Cavman,

Re: barrel rolling the Concord

Tex Johnson, Chief Test Pilot at Boeing at the time, barrel rolled the 707 on her very first test flight. He did not tell anyone on board ahead of time, he just did it.

Re: the Concord

IMO she is still a great looking machine. I saw the Concord twice back in the early 90's; once while coming into Miami, she was just taking off; and once on the tarmac in Rio de Janeiro.

However, as with many things ( including us ), her time had passed.

Jerry Baumchen
    Last edited by JerryB; 10-30-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was living in Louisiana I knew an older couple who flew the Concorde not long before it was taken out of service. According to Hans the only truly redeeming feature of the trip was the short time it took to cross the Atlantic. He said the cabin was small and cramped, not luxurious, and not all that comfortable for traveling. I think he said it was noisy also. I believe what did the Concorde in, besides the safety questions and its age, was the fact that the cost of operating it required ticket prices that were not commensurate with the level of comfort afforded by the plane.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)