Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I'm in northeast NC, and we do get a bit of winter every year...freezing temps, along with some ice and snow. I have no indoor space available for the Spyder, and not even a paved driveway. It'll be parked on the lawn (on a level spot). I have an old car cover that's long and wide enough to fully cover the bike, and its "breathable". I can easily cinch it on with bungies. I can run it every few days and move it around to avoid flat spots on the tires, but there will be periods of time when it'll get covered with snow and/or ice. Should I cover it or not?

A biker friend suggested that I buy a one-car sized covered trailer to put it in for the winter, but I can't afford it. It's going to be outside all winter...
    What about a temporary storage unit, at a facility that rents them for $100/month?...it's only for 3 months tops, and would keep that spyder dry, and out of the elements.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Too Pricey For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you considered one of these?

http://www.thebikebarn.net/

For they money: they offer a lot of protection.
    They look great, and they'd to a good job...except for 2 things: 1) we get some fairly strong winds here, and 2) the price is way too high for me. But thanks very much for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Default That Would Work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    What about a temporary storage unit, at a facility that rents them for $100/month?...it's only for 3 months tops, and would keep that spyder dry, and out of the elements.
    Yup, a rented storage unit would work just fine. I might not even need it for three months. I'm not concerned about the cold...just the ice and snow. I'll give them a call and see what their rates are. I don't need a BIG unit, just one with space to back in the Spyder, and electrical outlet to set up a battery tender. Thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Yup, a rented storage unit would work just fine. I might not even need it for three months. I'm not concerned about the cold...just the ice and snow. I'll give them a call and see what their rates are. I don't need a BIG unit, just one with space to back in the Spyder, and electrical outlet to set up a battery tender. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Unless they have a removable light bulb in the unit, you likely wont find many with power plugs. It is a fire hazard for them, and people tend to do stupid things in storage units. Maybe if it is designed for auto storage.

Check with your HD dealer. Lots of them do winter storage, probably less than $100 a month. They will also plug your bike in.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POWER PLUG / RECEPTICLE

If it has a light , it probably is in a socket. If there is NO receptacle , just get an adapter that has the receptacle and the socket combined at the hardware store and screw that into the overhead socket.....now you have someplace to plug the maintainer into and keep the light bulb !!!! ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-29-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just don't forget to leave the light on!
    Plug in an LED bulb, if you want to try and maintain a lower power usage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If it has a light , it probably is in a socket. If there is NO receptacle , just get an adapter that has the receptacle and the socket combined at the hardware store and screw that into the overhead socket.....now you have someplace to put the maintainer into and keep the light bulb !!!! ....... Mike
    Sometimes. Many lit storage units use 12 volt lighting to reduce power consumption. Also, many are on a motion sensor, so even if 120V, no power to charge a battery unless you enter every 20 minutes.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Still can't get electrical to battery tender...

If it has a light , it probably is in a socket. If there is NO receptacle , just get an adapter that has the receptacle and the socket combined at the hardware store and screw that into the overhead socket.....now you have someplace to plug the maintainer into and keep the light bulb !!!! ....... Mike
    ... because my storage unit I'm renting doesn't have any receptacles or light bulbs and I haven't figured out a way to use the solar panel that Battery Tender makes because it would need to be outside and it would probably be stolen and/or covered in snow for a couple of months.... guess I'll just leave it and wait until spring to see if it starts again.
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Default Well Then

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... because my storage unit I'm renting doesn't have any receptacles or light bulbs and I haven't figured out a way to use the solar panel that Battery Tender makes because it would need to be outside and it would probably be stolen and/or covered in snow for a couple of months.... guess I'll just leave it and wait until spring to see if it starts again.
    Jim
    .........Considering what a battery costs .... if the Spyder is put away for months .... I would take out the Battery ..... It's not that difficult ......... Mike

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.........Considering what a battery costs .... if the Spyder is put away for months .... I would take out the Battery ..... It's not that difficult ......... Mike
    Yes I have to agree with this. If plan A isn't working them move on to plan B.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Again - this is why I love these forums....

...because I never thought about taking the battery out and keeping it in my garage on a tender... About that taking the panels off.... it appears that some of the torx bolts have a center post or knob about where my knees are on the bike. Is there some kind of special tool to loosen those? My regular torx doesn't fit into the bolt because of that center post....
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Don't cover ....Air circulating is a good thing.... dust etc can easily be washed in the spring ..... I think you should put something on the seats , trunk , windshield ( put Saran wrap & plastic because of bird droppings ) to prevent cats etc from nesting on the bike. Moth balls under ..........good luck ...... Mike
    Sounds like you're describing a 1/2 cover which covers the seat, windshield and trunk. It will let air circulate underneath it and keep crap off critical parts. I also park it over carpet with cardboard underneath the tires. This helps prevent concrete moisture from getting to parts that can pit. Can't really see the necessity to put it in the air.

Spyder Garage

...because I never thought about taking the battery out and keeping it in my garage on a tender... About that taking the panels off.... it appears that some of the torx bolts have a center post or knob about where my knees are on the bike. Is there some kind of special tool to loosen those? My regular torx doesn't fit into the bolt because of that center post....
    Jim
    Sounds like a security Torx. They have them cheap at Harbor Freight. I have a set.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default For me with similar storage situation

... that is the question. Gonna store the ryde for the winter. Should I put the full cover on, the half cover on, or no cover on? It will be in a storage unit with no heat and concrete floor.
    Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I park Spyder (tires at least) on padding, usually carpet...but cardboard works also. I do not cover. I also make sure that I have done everything to prevent those nasty wire eating critters (mice, squirrels, etc etc etc) from taking up residence. Thank I throw an old clean sheet over only to help minimize the dust...nothing tight fitting...Put some Star tron in a full gas tank (unless you are able to use non ethanol gas..I'm not). Pat "Red" on his rump and say have a good winter...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default THOSE SO-CALLED SECURITY TORX

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Sounds like a security Torx. They have them cheap at Harbor Freight. I have a set.
    They are NOT REMOVEABLE - don't EVER touch them ..............Mike .................... I sent a warning PM to Big Guy 66 ........
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-30-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leave them alone!!

Spyder Garage

They are NOT REMOVEABLE - don't EVER touch them ..............Mike .................... I sent a warning PM to Big Guy 66 ........
    Correction, they ARE removable. Whether or not you should, I couldn't say. I was just answering what kind of Torx they are.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default SECURITY TORX

Correction, they ARE removable. Whether or not you should, I couldn't say. I was just answering what kind of Torx they are.
    ..Dear JVB, we all like to helpful here so I think you should REMOVE yours and report back what you learned .......... Dear BigGuy66 ...... I would really, really wait for JVB's report before you even think about touching them ...... .................... one of my motto's is "TRY NOT TO HARM ", ....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-30-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

..Dear JVB, we all like to helpful here so I think you should REMOVE yours and report back what you learned .......... Dear BigGuy66 ...... I would really, really wait for JVB's report before you even think about touching them ...... .................... one of my motto's is "TRY NOT TO HARM ", ....Mike
    Yes,and some like to be smug! Repeat, I never said he should remove them, I was only telling him what kind of screws they are!

This is the second time you are like this, I suspect it is a normal thing for you!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well there are some that are not supposed to be removed and are purely decorative. I guess someone can remove them if they wish. But removing them won't help with removing any Tupperware. This has been pretty well documented in the past.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

All warnings and advice heeded. I will NOT remove them. AND I also know WHY I shouldn't remove them. Glad I asked! Remember - I'm the guy that loosened the negative terminal under my seat and didn't have the thin bent 10 mm wrench and the skinny fingers to tighten it. I do listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Yes,and some like to be smug! Repeat, I never said he should remove them, I was only telling him what kind of screws they are!

This is the second time you are like this, I suspect it is a normal thing for you!
    That's like giving a 10 year old a very large firecracker and a lighter .....and after they blow their hand off stating ......WELL I DIDN'T TELL HIM TO LIGHT IT ....... .... I would put you on my IGNORE list , but I'm afraid I'll miss one of your Mis-leading posts ..... and not WARN people of the danger of your ignorance................ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember - I'm the guy that loosened the negative terminal under my seat and didn't have the thin bent 10 mm wrench and the skinny fingers to tighten it. I do listen.
    If you think of those shiny "Security Torx" (Or whatever they're called), as another prank; like the one that the BRP engineers played on you with the terminals under the seat: you'll be okay...

I suspect that there's about two reasons to ever remove them:
    Re-painting the entire bike
    Complete panel removal and replacement

Spyder Garage

That's like giving a 10 year old a very large firecracker and a lighter .....and after they blow their hand off stating ......WELL I DIDN'T TELL HIM TO LIGHT IT ....... .... I would put you on my IGNORE list , but I'm afraid I'll miss one of your Mis-leading posts ..... and not WARN people of the danger of your ignorance................ Mike
    Please do. There are better ways to give warnings than snarky and demeaning remarks. It is not necessary to try to demean someone's input when all you need to do is advise. I know your type. You know a lot, so figure you can say it any way you like, and assume everyone else is an ignorant fool!

I am not new to the internet, and know more about wrenching than most. Your attitude towards my comments is typical of people who are afraid that someone else might figure out they do not actually know it all.

Oh, and your advice to NOT use a torque wrench on the other thread, really?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default INTERNET ADVICE ETC.

Please do. There are better ways to give warnings than snarky and demeaning remarks. It is not necessary to try to demean someone's input when all you need to do is advise. I know your type. You know a lot, so figure you can say it any way you like, and assume everyone else is an ignorant fool!

I am not new to the internet, and know more about wrenching than most. Your attitude towards my comments is typical of people who are afraid that someone else might figure out they do not actually know it all.

Oh, and your advice to NOT use a torque wrench on the other thread, really?
    Dear JVB, you have the right to your opinion.... and because it's the internet what you say doesn't have to be truthful .... and you can dis-avow any responsibility for anything anyone does that ends up badly ..... There are plenty of people today who have this attitude..... I'm not one of them ........ AND PLEASE .... do not send me any more NASTY - VITRIOLIC PM's or I will report you to the Administrator ........ Respectfully , Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-30-2016 at 06:58 PM.