Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What type of anti freeze in the 1330?

What type of anti freeze is ues in the 1330 engine? What is the automotive equivalent? (Example; GM uses Dex cool).
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

What ever you use DO NOT try mixing colors!!! If you see green keep it green
    same for orange, if mixed & run thru system the gum up damage will be quite costly Water is the safest medium if you just need to top it off.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-26-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Water

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not exactly sure why not mixing them is important... but they DO look terrible, when you mix them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can't see what color it is,that's why I am asking. I'm not going to mix colors I may buy OEM just to be sure.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's actually your safest bet!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    I can't see what color it is,that's why I am asking. I'm not going to mix colors I may buy OEM just to be sure.
    Does not matter if you buy OEM or not. Still have to choose between green and orange.

antifreeze.jpg

I think a 2015 takes the orange stuff.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

According to your owners manual it's the orange stuff.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am getting ready to change out the coolant this winter and just went with the OEM. Costs more, but only plan on doing every 46,000 to 50,000 miles so cheep over the long haul.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    According to your owners manual it's the orange stuff.
    Good! It's color-matched to my Spyder...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good! It's color-matched to my Spyder...
    I just put Cognac in mine, a little pricy but boy does she run good!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Just as long as it's not weaving back & forth on the road! That wouldn't be good if there is a cop around.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Billy's right, as usual. Verify his answer on page 166 of your owner's manual.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Nothing but the best for them; right?

I'll Drink To That.jpg

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So now is the time for you to decide, "Will you take the green pill or the Orange pill."

One of them will take you back to where you were, comfortable and unknowing, the other may provide you with a new understanding!

I am sure that over half of you have no idea what I am talking about!
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I do like MOST of your music! Thanks

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of it isn't fit for human consumption...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Does not matter if you buy OEM or not. Still have to choose between green and orange.

antifreeze.jpg

I think a 2015 takes the orange stuff.
    So, XPS Orange. Got it, thanks. https://www.amazon.com/Ski-Doo-Sea-D...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is the description per Can-Am of the XPS coolant (they don't give the generic specs, because I guess they don't want us buying cheaper substitutes);

Providing protection from freezing or overheating, our Extended-Life Pre-Mixed Coolant is easy to use as it contains the correct dilution and necessary additives for your engine. Also designed to prevent corrosion and to inhibit cavitation in cooling systems, the long-life 5-year (orange) formula offers superior heat transfer and is specifically formulated for vehicles. Spend less time working on your vehicle and more time enjoying it! This XPS Extended-Life Pre-Mixed Coolant is the ideal replacement for vehicles that normally use a 2-year antifreeze/coolant (green).
    More Information
    Features Description Antifreeze/Coolant contains the correct dilution and the necessary additives to prevent corrosion and inhibit cavitation in BRP cooling systems. Long-life, 5-year formula specially formulated for BRP vehicles. Superior heat transfer. Ideal replacement for vehicles that normally use a 2-year antifreeze/coolant (green). 5 years (orange).
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-29-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://chem-group.com/antifreeze-the-ultimate-guide/

Okay, I think this is a good article and worth reading all the way through to fully understand the issue. I've extracted what I think is the most relevant part of the article here;

THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ANTIFREEZE
    In terms of the major component, antifreeze mixes are available in the standard ethylene glycol-based form or the non-toxic propylene glycol-based version. But, that is not the main difference. The primary variation in antifreeze solutions is based on the anti-corrosive factors used in them. Up until the mid-nineties, ethylene glycol-based, bright green antifreeze mixes were the norm. However, newer vehicles and their advanced engine components raised the need for more effective antifreeze solutions that would offer greater protection. This led to red, green, blue, yellow and orange fluids. Every one of these is meant to address the specific requirements of various engines and their components.

So, you will find coolants and antifreeze solutions from nearly all major auto manufacturers that are designed to handle the anti-corrosive needs of the engines in their vehicles. When selecting the fluids for your car, it’s always a good idea to consult your owner’s manual first to see what your car’s manufacturer recommends.

WHY IS ANTIFREEZE DIFFERENT COLORS?
    Both ethylene and propylene glycol are colorless fluids and the anti-corrosive compounds and other additives wouldn’t make much of a difference to their colorless form. However, given the variation in antifreeze solutions, manufacturers add colors to these mixes, so that it can be easy to differentiate one kind from another.

Basically, coolants come in 3 types:

1. Inorganic acid formula (IAT):
    Used in all cars till the early nineties, this is your basic bright green coolant that is still poured into all older cars manufactured before the mid-nineties, including all domestic vehicles from Ford, GM and Chrysler. Made by adding phosphates and some amount of silicates to glycol, these low-silicate, conventional antifreeze solutions also have supplemental coolant additives (SCA) in them to protect the engine lining from corrosion. In fact, it’s the SCA that are the first components of the coolant to get exhausted. So, these older green fluids need a change every 2 years or 25,000-30,000 miles.

2. Organic acid technology (OAT):
    These coolants turned into the norm around the late-nineties and are still going strong in many newer cars all across the world. Although devoid of both phosphates and silicates, OAT coolants offer similar corrosion resistance as the green antifreeze mixes. But the anti-corrosive compounds in these solutions are slow-acting, which gives the product a longer life span. Also, it is specifically designed to offer anti-corrosive protection to the aluminum and nylon parts in newer model cars. Originally marketed as “permanent” or “long life” antifreeze, OAT coolants, or Dex-cool as they are commonly known, have to be replaced every 3-5 years.

Another important difference is that unlike IAT coolants, OAT products use propylene glycol as the base, so they are less harmful for pets, kids and the environment in case of a spill or boil-over. OAT antifreeze mixes are usually orange, yellow or red but also comes in other colors, such as blue, red and very dark green, depending on the variant and the manufacturer. These coolants are widely available and used in most GM cars and trucks manufactured after 1995 as well as in vehicles manufactured between 1996 and 2001 by Audi, Honda, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Nissan, Porsche, Saab, Toyota and VW.

3. Hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT):
    As their name suggests, these coolants combine the best of IAT and OAT products to offer superior corrosion resistance for aluminum parts and rustproofing for iron components. Typically, dyed yellow or orange, HOAT products are also available in a range of other hues such as pink, purple and blue. HOAT products are usually referred to as “global” and you will almost always find a label on the packaging which reads, “Meets or exceeds G-05 specifications”.

These antifreeze mixes need to be changed every 5 years and are specified for most cars manufactured after 2002 by Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo and VW.
    As you may have noticed, color is certainly not a reliable indicator of the type of coolant that you are getting. The only thing that the different hues are good for is to prevent the inadvertent mixing of two types of products. So, always read the bottle’s description and match it with coolant specified in the owner’s manual of your vehicle. If the bottle description has you stumped, don’t take the risk of adding any odd coolant to the reservoir. Instead, take the trouble of checking with the local mechanic or repair shop. This may cost you a few bucks, but it will certainly be less expensive than a complete engine overhaul.

CAN YOU MIX ANTIFREEZE COLORS?
    In short: no, you cannot mix different types of antifreeze mixes. In fact, HOAT coolants are available in at least 3 variants (Silicated HOAT, Phosphated HOAT and Phosphate-free HOAT), and you shouldn’t be mixing together even the variants, let alone the main classes. Mixing the green with the orange or orange with the blue/yellow, etc. will lead to a chemical reaction in the reservoir. This causes the formation of brown, gelatinous sludge in the reservoir and the radiator that can completely block the cooling system over time.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-29-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This PEAK product (Gold) seems to be the same specs as the XPS;
    https://www.amazon.com/PEAK-Extended...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This PEAK product (Orange) seems the same except it's a concentrate so would require mixing;
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PC7XZKY...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The XPS brand seems to come only in quart size and 5-gallon size. Can anyone confirm that 1 gallon (4 quarts) of the pre-mixed stuff is the correct quantity to do a drain, flush and refill?

Edit; this is from my 2014 RTL owner manual. 0.99 gallons.

20220729_141633.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-29-2022 at 05:50 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is from the NAPA-online website;

1. THE STORY ON HOAT
    Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) Coolant was pretty much the original type of coolant and is still used in older vehicles. It lasts around 30,000 miles before it turns too acidic and needs to be changed. Organic Acid Technology (OAT) Coolant uses additives to increase its lifespan significantly — up to around 150,000 miles. Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) Coolant is a hybrid of the two.

2. HOW HOAT CAME TO LIFE
    You want your coolant to do a few things. Most importantly, it cools the engine, but remember it’s also passing through metal passageways and subject to vastly different operating temperatures, so it needs to deal with all of that. The original IAT is strongly anti-corrosive, but it needs to be changed regularly. OAT lasts much longer, but it doesn’t defend against corrosion as well. Ironically, simply mixing the two can have damaging corrosive effects, but the hybrid-engineered HOAT uses a chemical composition that keeps rust and buildup at bay, is effective at very low and high temperatures alike, and lasts five years and beyond.

3. CAREFUL, HOAT DOESN’T PLAY NICE
    What is HOAT Coolant?
    Nope! On the surface, it seems like a hybrid between IAT and OAT would be compatible with either, but that’s not the case. They may share similar names, but the chemical recipe is different enough that manufacturers do not recommend mixing them. Doing so potentially limits your coolant’s effectiveness in doing its job and can greatly reduce the lifespan. And as mentioned earlier, it might actually gunk up the system. This is true even if you’ve drained the coolant from an engine — it’s not so easy as to just add a different type because traces of the old type remain and cling to passageways.

4. WHEN TO USE HOAT
    As with most other questions about your car, check your owner’s manual. It should specify the coolant type. You may think the benefits of IAT, OAT or HOAT are what your vehicle needs, but it’s not a call you can easily make without cleaning out the entire cooling system (more than just a flush). So it’s really best to just stick with what was designed to support your engine and you will be fine.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-29-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The XPS brand seems to come only in quart size and 5-gallon size. Can anyone confirm that 1 gallon (4 quarts) of the pre-mixed stuff is the correct quantity to do a drain, flush and refill?
    Nope the 1330 takes 5 qts, ... then run it through a heat cycle and measure correctly .... might take a Tad more .... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-29-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This Zerex product seems to meet all the requirements called for by the Spyder Operator's Manual. It is H.O.A.T. and G-05, and specifically mentions it is safe to use with all aluminum engines. It is certainly less expensive and more readily available than the XPS stuff (which is the OEM brand).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033QQ4VW...2-587d01f975e8

Zerex G05 prediluted antifreeze.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bump...
    2014 RTL Platinum