Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool What kind of Trailer do you use to carry your Spyder?

What Kind of trailer does everyone use to transport their Spider? I am looking for one and do not see much that is low enough to do the job.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kenyon Stand Up trailers is well into the development of a trailer for trikes or Spyders, www..kendonusa.com .

I found them on a search some time ago, and recently got an update.

If u really want the top of the line there is an awesome trailer company that sponsors this site, see the homepage, really high dollar though.
    http://the-ultimate-trailers.com/

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 10-24-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine only goes on a trailer for ONE reason:

BobDenman.jpg

When it's unable to move under it's own power!

In that spirit: I just borrow one from a buddy of mine, who rides Harleys...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    What Kind of trailer does everyone use to transport their Spider? I am looking for one and do not see much that is low enough to do the job.
    I got my trailer from Northern Tool. It is 5 1/2 wide X 10 long and works great. Have used it many thousands of miles to transport my Spyder. they are priced either side of $1,000.00 if you can catch one of their sales.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Ride On (site sponsor)

We bought ours back when we got our 2012 RT Limited. We now ride a 2014 RT Limited and have used this trailer multiple times when our fun time was limited and we wanted to ride in a location that was distant from home. It has proven to be a great trailer, perhaps more costly than others but our selection of the RT Ltd was not based on price but on the style of riding we were interested in. Same logic was applied to the selection of our trailer.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I have a Classic V-nose 7 x 12, it's very low so no problem with bottoming out when ryding up the ramp door. I plan on storing the Spyder in it for the winter, Since the doors have sealed gaskets, I don't think I'll have to worry about little critters making their home in the Spyder for the winter.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't buy a trailer less than 7' wide if your looking at enclosed trailers. I use a 7x14 that tags along behind motorhome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a trailer less than 7' wide if your looking at enclosed trailers. I use a 7x14 that tags along behind motorhome.
    Yup that's what I want to use it for.
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

I had a Alumna TK-1 trailer that was ruined in a fire months ago.
    image.jpgIt was great for towing the Spyder, a riding lawn mower and taking trash to the dump. But using the ramp to load was a pain in the lower back. Ramp is stored under the bed and slides in/out.
    it has been replaced with a T-1 PJ Trailer rated to 7,000 GVWR. I can now haul my Kubota tractor.
    image.jpgI added the storage box. It is a tilt bed so no additional ramp to deal with. It also has electric brakes, which I need to set up with my truck. I can load and unload the Spyder without the trailer attached to the truck. It's that stable.

Spyder Garage

Default 7x19 Legend aluminum

7 by 19 V nose aluminum. Holds the Spyder and 2 two wheelers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Default Spider trailer s s

Hello,
    Let me say that the ultimate trailer is high priced and probably worth the money because as an open trailer will protect the ride better than others. The ability to lower the trailer makes loading the easiest of any I'm aware of, however the trailer will take up garage space. If you are strong enough to turn trailer so tongue is facing back of garage, you can drive on and off saving space. My driveway has an incline and is not feasible. I'm considering the drop tail because you can fold halfway or stand on end. Trying to locate one so that I can see how feasible storing the trailer will be before ordering. At this time Droptail is the only foldable trailer available to haul a Spyder. Stinger trailers of Canada and Kendon trailers are working on protypes for Spyder. Suggest you search the three companies for the one that meets your needs. An enclosed trailer by Ironhorse is anthor option. My problem is space. Presently I tow my jeep with my Pleasureway b Van. My wife will not drive van with jeep. So ,I'm going to tow Spyder with jeep. Can't survive the winter in Arizona without my jeep or Spyder. Good hunting and let us know what you decide. Sorry for the long winded dissertation.
    Pete

Spyder Garage

I have a droptail trailer, it folds up for storage when not in use. http://www.droptailtrailers.com/shop...y-trailer.html
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I found and old snow mobile trailer with a tilting bed that acts as a ramp. It is 6.5 ft wide and 8ft long and works perfect. I found it used for $400.00. Its ugly but tows well and loads and unloads easy.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder trailer

I just ordered a 6.5 foot by 10 foot cargomate trailer from MSI in Elkhart Indiana. I was looking to find the smallest trailer the Spyder would fit in and found this ad: http://wildbillsrv.com/product/cargo...ler-ramp-door/
    This ad is for a 12 foot trailer, but I wanted a 10.

I called CargoMate and they recommended the dealer MSI. MSI didn't even know they made a 6.5 foot wide trailer! I called and ordered the trailer that day.

This trailer has a 73" wide opening and 5' 11" interior height, I'm not sure how tall the door itself is. I should be built in a few weeks and I'll drive down to Elkhart. Since I have family in Elkhart I'll spend a couple of days visiting as well.

I think this is the perfect size.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mine only goes on a trailer for ONE reason:

BobDenman.jpg

When it's unable to move under it's own power!
    This is my philosophy on trailering.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    This is my philosophy on trailering.
    Want to take mine on long trips behind the motor-home.
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

Want to take mine on long trips behind the motor-home.
    Maybe if I had a motorhome I would think differently. I prefer hotels though, so riding the trip is more my style.

That said, I would get an enclosed aluminum trailer. You can pack your bike and gear in it more safely, and it is not too heavy, so lower fuel consumption on the motorhome.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Maybe if I had a motorhome I would think differently. I prefer hotels though, so riding the trip is more my style.

That said, I would get an enclosed aluminum trailer. You can pack your bike and gear in it more safely, and it is not too heavy, so lower fuel consumption on the motorhome.
    Now that is a funny one. You said "so lower fuel consumption on the motor home."
    Does that even enter thier mind?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Now that is a funny one. You said "so lower fuel consumption on the motor home."
    Does that even enter thier mind?

Joe
    Depends, a pusher might get 10-11mpg, a conventional 6-7. If you took one MPG that is a significant decrease.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd rather just pack lighter, and take the Spyder: instant 38 mpg!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

\
    I bought my trailer at Northern Tool. It is their 5.5' X 10' model. they sell for either side of $1,000 depending on what sale they are running.
    just merely drop the endgate and drive on. I screwed two wheel chocks to the floor for the front wheels and strap my Spyder down and away I go. I've toted my Spyder thousands of miles without any issues. good luck..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

trailer1.jpg trailer2.jpg trailer3.jpg

Started out with a 6.5 x 10 ft. dove tail trailer. I picked up my trailer while my bike was in the shop getting a new tire and the TricLED light kits installed. Got the bike home and tried the trailer, had to jack up the front ALOT to get the bike on, said no way am I gonna like this, checked my mail and the title was there, OH well!!!! the trailer is mine now! Got used to it until one day while unloading the bike in front of some friends the skid bumper plated was grabbed by the tailgate and pulled the lower front of my bike OFF! I didn't raise the front jack enough. I was AHHHMMM pissed. Lucky the push pins had popped out and the panel went right back on with no problems. SO I went to a place here in Longview that builds trailers and explained the problem. Above pics show what we came up with. The tailgate was originally 3 foot long, the extension is 2 foot and the 2 16 in. extensions are 1 foot long. We placed some footers at the end of the original tailgate to steady the tailgate. Now the front tires raise up on the first extension and the front nose clears the second extension and then clears the original tailgate just as the rear tire climbs onto the second extension. Closest the nose comes to the tailgate is 1 1/2 inchs. I now can load the bike without worrying about the lifting the front end or if I am gonna clear or not. Added the Gorilla gate lifts to offset the weight.
    Last edited by TheCajun1957; 10-28-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Drop-tail trailer

We have a drop tail trailer that has been used very little & tows easily behind a motorhome or vehicle. Two years old & we are selling...great shape. We live in our motorhome so decided to get larger trailer to tow both our SUV & Spyder both together.

Spyder Garage

Suretrack Galvanized trailor with long drop gate.
    Spring assisted when you raise up the gate.

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what we use for our Spyder RT

Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked.

From an earlier post of mine:
    We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac