Spyder Garage

Default This is what I asked Bob D...

I'm simplifying it here:

A business ( hospital in my case) which receives Federal money is bound to a Federal act/law to retain veterans. A veteran has been riding (and parking) his spyder to work since 2009, and in July 2016, the veteran finds he can no longer park at the business (there is no other parking in the area, which is all residential). The Federal act states that the business must have an affirmative action plan to retain veterans, or not receive Federal money.

The question is, is this business's act, of not allowing three wheeled motorcycles to park, an affirmative action plan to retain veterans who own spyders?

Two wheelers are allowed parking at the hospital.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-24-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking about this, while watching some football last evening...

You may run into this argument:
    "We would love to retain you, but you do have other methods with which to commute to work...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-24-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was thinking about this, while watching some football last evening...

You may run into this argument:
    "We would love to retain you, but you do have other methods with which to commute to work...)
    You are correct. But, I've been riding (and parking) the spyder to work since 2009, and two wheelers are still allowed to park in the parking garage. All they have to do is cut a little more from the gate to allow me to park.

Spyder Garage

what is the reason that they give for not allowing the 3 wheel bike to park. if the state says that the spyder is a motorcycle, then they should allow the spyder to park there
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You are correct. But, I've been riding (and parking) the spyder to work since 2009, and two wheelers are still allowed to park in the parking garage. All they have to do is cut a little more from the gate to allow me to park.
    Make no mistake: I agree with you 100%!
    Good Luck!

Cuzn... it's actually more about the width of the gate; than anything else.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cant you enter thru the car gate?
    It is a registered insured motor vehicle

CapeSpyder
    Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this, Ron. Obviously, you must have been parking where other employees park their cars up until now. Is the hospital saying that you can no longer do that? If so, that sounds extremely unreasonable. What is the reason they have given for that new policy?

I'm thinking that there has to be a reasonable way to resolve this.
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-24-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Ron. Obviously, you must have been parking where other employees park their cars up until now. Is the hospital saying that you can no longer do that? If so, that sounds extremely unreasonable. What is the reason they have given for that new policy?

I'm thinking that there has to be a reasonable way to resolve this.
    I also need more info. Is there a motorcycle-only parking area which is inaccessible with a Spyder? Is it designated "veterans only"?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    Cant you enter thru the car gate?
    It is a registered insured motor vehicle

CapeSpyder
    Sent From my Note 5
    I tried to make the original post as short as possible, but since you asked- When I found they wouldn't let me park in the garage, that was okay with me. I then went to one of the open lots, which are all gated and entered there. I thought all was fine, until I fumbled with my badge a few weekends ago (used to activate the gate) and the gate started to close on me. I stopped, and swiped the badge again, and quickly went through. I contacted by email the person in charge of parking with my tale of woe. Her response was that the gates do not recognize a motorcycle because there is not enough metal (probably weight) and I'm not supposed to park in an open lot. She has not responded to my subsequent phone call or subsequent e-mails.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I also need more info. Is there a motorcycle-only parking area which is inaccessible with a Spyder? Is it designated "veterans only"?
    First of all, I never wanted to play the veterans card, but at this point I have no choice.

To answer your question, I've been parking in the motorcycle area parking section, which is in the parking garage. I've been doing that since 2009. In fact, at one point they cut the gate so that I could get through. But, sometime in July of this year, or maybe before, they installed a new gate, and did not cut it enough for the spyder width. So, I contacted the engineering manager whose dept. cut the gates previously. He took a stand that the motorcycle parking was for 2 wheelers, and to contact the person who has responsibility for all the parking. Like I said above, I did contact her. The result, I have no place to park the spyder at work.

I have now contacted, by email, the Compliance Officer at the hospital. I should say the Compliance Officer for the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Act (that's a mouthful). In the email, I said that I would call her this week. I just want to give her time to think about what is going on.

I can tell you that the motorcycle parking area was never full because there are a lot of 100 percenters (those that need guaranteed sunshine); are those called Harley riders? So, if they try to use the size of the spyder taking up too much space, that won't fly.

Spyder Garage

Okay, it's over. I think the person in charge of parking may have realized who I had copied on my last email to her. I'll try to attach her email:

Hello Ronald,
    First off we are in a temporary parking situation because of the closure of the garage. Therefore there will be situations, that we have to look at a case by case basis. Your may be one of those.
    There are a few ways to enter the lots without going through the gates. We can discuss those options.
    Jim does not run the parking operation. He does not have the say of who can park in the garage and who cannot.

The season is almost over for the use of motorcycles. I have spoke at great length with Ken regarding how we will handle this issue when the garage re-opens in November.
    I for one have some ideas on where a motorcycle area can be set up. Once the garage re-opens we also have to re-assess the service road lot etc. So we can make all those decisions at that time.

I certainly have no reason to not want you to park in the lots. We just have to come up with a solution to the gate issue. I obviously cannot keep the gates up, and you obviously cannot drive under them.
    I think we can come up with a solution for your vehicle that may be handled differently than the standard motorcycle.
    I have left you a voicemail as well. We can talk further.
    Juliann

You can bet that this email will never be deleted from my system. This could have all been resolved in July if she had responded to my email or voice mail. But, I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sounds like a positive communication...

Spyder Garage

About 15 years ago, the company I work for had us located in an office complex in San Antonio. The office building has a parking garage and also open lot parking. There was a waiting list to get a parking garage card (controlled by the building owners, not the company I work for). I got on the waiting list and a few months later I'm up next.It was then that I was told that motorcycles were not allowed to park in the parking garage. Gave me some line about some San Antonio fire marshal rule that because motorcycles have an exposed gas tank they are not allowed to park in parking garages inside the city limits. I remember that a couple of days later I needed to go downtown to the River Center mall for something. I had parked in the garage there many times before but on this occasion there was a sign at the entrance stating no motorcycles allowed. I never bought the fire marshal gas tank line for a second. I belief they said no motorcycles was because you could easily bypass the entry and exit gate and never pay for parking at the mall.

Oh and one more bit, my company used to have a parking pass for the garage and they did a drawing every quarter, giving that card to the winner. I won the card once (I believe this was after I was denied a card by the parking people) and used it the whole time even when I rode the bike into work. Never heard one complaint from the building management or the fire marshal.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good response. Thank you for sharing

CapeSpyder
    Sent From my Note 5

Spyder Garage

Wyliec if it really is over that is good and I congratulate you on standing up for your rights and doing it in a calm and orderly fashion. IF on the other hand it is not over I would suggest that you get in touch with the AMA. They have a dept that specializes in this sort of thing. Good Luck on future issues.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Amen on the AMA!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Wyliec if it really is over that is good and I congratulate you on standing up for your rights and doing it in a calm and orderly fashion. IF on the other hand it is not over I would suggest that you get in touch with the AMA. They have a dept that specializes in this sort of thing. Good Luck on future issues.
    Excellent suggestion! I wish I'd thought of it.

Wyliec, I hope this means it's being resolved to your satisfaction.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the problem is resolved currently. If they change administrators of the parking lot area--do you think there is a possibility that you may end up back at square one? These subject to interpretation things sometimes go that way.

The Federal red tape is ridiculous.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad to hear the problem is resolved currently. If they change administrators of the parking lot area--do you think there is a possibility that you may end up back at square one? These subject to interpretation things sometimes go that way.

The Federal red tape is ridiculous.
    I'm sure everything will turn out okay.

Spyder Garage

Default Fantastic!

I'm sure everything will turn out okay.
    That is GREAT news. I was away from home most all day today, but also thinking about your situation. I was about to offer you a plan I came up with that might work, but when I checked into the forum, I see you have it resolved already. I agree that the email you received from the parking folks does sound very positive. Congratulations on getting it worked out.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat