Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
In my comments above about a lack of top end power while pulling a trailer I should have qualified my comments. The trailer I've been pulling is my 'tent on a trailer' which is not an aerodynamic design at all and weighs over 400 lbs. I would imagine that the 622 or RT trailer probably does pull with less effort because they are pretty well aerodynamically designed, and probably in most cases not carrying as much weight.
I understand what your saying Idaho. The 622 can-am trailer is tucked in behind the spyder very well and, as you mentioned, it is a good aerodynamic design a- be- it a very expensive trailer so it SHOULD be designed well. I have pulled this trailer for many miles over the past 5 years beginning with the 2010 RTS SM and now with the 2014 RTS SE. Probably a total of at least 15,000 miles towing it. (and yes, I have pulled the wheels and packed the wheel bearings a couple of times). This trailer has always preformed very well, it tows great with no bouncing or swaying (most of the load must be over the axels and not loaded to the rear or like any trailer, it will sway) and the specs say not over a 40lb tongue weight. Following these guidelines I can take this trailer anywhere, curves are no issue. It hugs the road just like the spyder and speed is no issue as it is solid as a rock. You seriously cannot tell it is in tow most of the time. The Spyder max rating for towing is 400 lbs total with the trailer including the load in it. I can imagine that if I was maxed out on load it would make a difference for sure. I find that 50 to 60 lbs of load is usually the max that I need. 50 lbs of clothes is a lot when you get right down to weighting them. I can't see ever loading the trailer with a 100 or 150 lbs to put it to the 400 lb limit as the trailer weights 250 empty. Like you said, your tent trailer is much bigger and starts out at 400 lbs or so empty. I am sure you also utilize space in it to carry other needed items while traveling. I've always wanted a tent trailer but held back due to the weight. Anyway travel as light as you can, be safe and enjoy the ride. If I can find a tent trailer that is in the 300 lb range I might give it a try.