Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Prices

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Prices

I just purchased a Helmet today. (Less than $100.) Way less. I went shoping, with no price in mind. ( Aftermark Shop, ) and found the best fitting, and comftorable helmet there.
    Others ranged from this price to like $450. All DOT approved etc. So, Careful what you pay for.

Spyder Garage

My current helmet is a Bilt Bluetooth Modular from Cycle Gear for $189, 3 years ago.

Great helmet and fits me perfectly for the last 3 years and 20K miles.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...modular-helmet

They have a new version coming, so are now on sale for $149. The Bluetooth works great.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Helmets are a personal thing. Ones trash can be another's treasure. Most of the time, you get what you pay for. If they have the proper safety approvals on them, they should be good to go.

These days, when I hear about cheaper than market, I think Chinese knockoffs. Don't know if that is the case here, but Caveat Emptor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default re- helmet

The BILT is exactly what I am talking about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Helmets are a personal thing. Ones trash can be another's treasure. Most of the time, you get what you pay for. If they have the proper safety approvals on them, they should be good to go.

These days, when I hear about cheaper than market, I think Chinese knockoffs. Don't know if that is the case here, but Caveat Emptor.
    There is some truth to that. Common sense and making sure they are certified is important. Motorcyclist did a study a few years ago and it turned out the best protection was from a $79 helmet. The $600 helmets were actually less protective.

IMHO, the best helmet is the one you will wear and that fits as it should. (DOT certified of course)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...NELL.html?_r=0
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

You get what you pay for. Most helmets are made for different styles of riding.

It's not just the safety you look at. It's how quiet the helmet is on your head. Some cheap helmets are so loud that you will actually lose hearing if you don't wear ear plugs.

Some helmets are made for racing so they are rated different than touring helmets etc. And usually more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HELMET CERTIFICATION

D.O.T. is actually the minimum ..... look for Snell certified ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I found that the shoei rf-1100 helmets were very quiet, fit great, snell rated, and just very well constructed. Nothing is falling apart or looks worn...unlike my wife's speed and strength helmet which now is showing her age.

Definitely personal preference, and I'm sure there are some great deals out there. But I will never buy a helmet used or demo'ed...just my preference.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shopping for helmets based on price; is like shopping for cars based upon what the glovebox can hold...

original_10_Bell.jpg

Good luck: I hope that you NEVER have to find out how good it actually is!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is one safety item you don't want to fine the CHEAPEST. DOT is the minimum and like Mike said above Snell is the maximum! I wouldn't trust my brain in anything else!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

for my next helmet i will be looking at weight, quietness, features & safety. price will not be my first concern since
    i will wear it every time i ride.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Prices

THE first thing I look at is fit. (3X big round head) If it doesn't fit you won't want to wear it. Then I want a Modular for the convenience. (pretty much puts me in a DOT-ECE) Then the features, drop down sun shield and will fit the blue tooth head set. Then the price. Ended up with an HJC IS Max2 around $230.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh Helmets....

I toured the Bell helmet factory a long time ago and saw the whole operation from design and testing to construction and quality control. I was amazed at the whole process. They would throw out helmets that had the slightest imperfection in paint or assembly. I saw DOT tests and Snell testing and many samples of helmets worn by racers who had crashed and were alive because of the quality of their helmets....

Sadly there is a certain price difference by brand name...paint design...add ons....still your choice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Craigslist and Ebay are great places to find discontinued or lightly used helmets of any brand. I know the brand, model and size and If a bargain pops up I grab it.

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..free

So I had won a $250 gift card from Cycle Gear..already have a ton of gear. But, was interested in a new helmet. Found the one below on sale from another store, and as per Cycle Gear's Price Match policy, got it for a better price.
    Used the gift card. Free.
    Arrived today and it fits and feels great. And I still have a bunch left on the card..now, what else do I really not need? LOL!
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...modular-helmet
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I wont argue SNELL V DOT, but the referenced article point out that SNELL is perfectly fine for racing, but street crashes are not the same, and DOT is often better for the street. It isn't about the old, often false, adage that you get what you pay for, it is about getting what you need. Fit if first, comfort second, features third. DOT or SNELL, your call. Remember, SNELL is not sanctioned by any government, they self sanction and convinced the racing authorities that they are better, but no country sanctions SNELL. Yes, some SNELL helmets meet ECE or DOT standards.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If a HELMET does NOT SAY DOT AND SNELL it is NOT on my head.
    when buying any safety equipment you have to factor in just how
    much is your head worth to you and same goes for your riding clothes
    NO ONE was ever sorry they bought the best.
    just saying
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    D.O.T. is actually the minimum ..... look for Snell certified ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I have yet to find a modular helmet that passes SNELL standards: I've decided to at least buy the best helmet that I can afford...
    My head may not be all that valuable, but it's the only one that I've got!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    While I have yet to find a modular helmet that passes SNELL standards: I've decided to at least buy the best helmet that I can afford...
    My head may not be all that valuable, but it's the only one that I've got!
    SNELL does not certify modular helmets, because you can't race with one.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

I am a fan of modular helmets. They work for me, and I use them whenever I ride. I have a total of six helmets. Three full face and three which are modular. All are Nolan's. I got them because I like the fit, the styling and the color availability. Price was the least of my considerations. Most of mine were in the +$300 to +$400 range.

Alaska is a helmet optional state for the driver but required for all passengers. We choose to ride with helmets.

I would rather see a person riding with "a" helmet as opposed to "no" helmet. ATGATT is my motto.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am a fan of modular helmets. They work for me, and I use them whenever I ride. I have a total of six helmets. Three full face and three which are modular. All are Nolan's. I got them because I like the fit, the styling and the color availability. Price was the least of my considerations. Most of mine were in the +$300 to +$400 range.

Alaska is a helmet optional state for the driver but required for all passengers. We choose to ride with helmets.

I would rather see a person riding with "a" helmet as opposed to "no" helmet. ATGATT is my motto.
    I love the Nolans. They fit me perfectly. My next helmet will likely be one.

I agree, better to have any helmet than no helmet.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    I love the Nolans. They fit me perfectly. My next helmet will likely be one.

I agree, better to have any helmet than no helmet.
    Don't know if I said it or not, but

You started an interesting discussion, and it looks like you are going to be a great addition to the site for all things

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't know if I said it or not, but

You started an interesting discussion, and it looks like you are going to be a great addition to the site for all things
    Thanks, it is nice to be welcome! Seems like a great group of adults here!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    SNELL does not certify modular helmets, because you can't race with one.
    I know...

...And since I'm not racing: