Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    As far as I'm cocerned, being a biker is a state of mind, or a lifestyle, doesn't matter what you ride. I think you've made it.....

Had I not seen the Spyder one day at a Special Olympics ride, I would still be kicking around on a 700cc Suzuki cruiser and loving it. But the Spyder has opened up a whole new riding experience for me where I can really enjoy riding more often and for longer rides. And HDX has shown me some great routes. BTW, his "rolling couch" does just fine on the twistys.

As far as biker stereotypes, forget them. Without mentioning specific names, there are MC clubs here in CT that raise alot of money for the Newington Childrens Hospital. Yes they ride in a "herd", and I am sure some of them have animal skins, but they are out enjoying what they do. They could ride for free anytime, but they dig into thier wallets and pay to ride for a good cause. They also ride along side anyone who is willing to do the same, no matter what they ride.
    Last edited by SpyderByter; 04-06-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, I will have to pull out the leather vest hiding in the back of my closest, put on a doo rag and see if I can convey "the look" now....LOL
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad Video

OK, I hesitate to post this, but here goes...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    OK, I hesitate to post this, but here goes...
    Hey John, I don't see anything, not with Quicktime or Real Player. Is it up on Youtube by chance?
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Hey John, I don't see anything, not with Quicktime or Real Player. Is it up on Youtube by chance?
    Strike one on me. My sliderule jammed...

Try this instead.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    So all this talks make me wonder what I am. My first "bike" was a honda 50cc mini bike when I was 10 and I only had it for a day, it was broke and my dad is not a mechanic and he took it back and that was that.

I didn't get another ride until June 2007 and it was just a 150cc scooter, traded that in 2008 for my Spyder.

What I am saying is I always wanted to be a "biker" I just never quite had the opportunity to get there.

Now I am a SpyderLover and that works for me!!!
    Well Deb I grew up in the city mostly but since moving to East TN I can tell you I'm a country boy. I get along with the people better and it just feels like home to me even though I spent most of my life in San Diego.

I think you've been a biker mama in your soul even though you may have been without a bike for many years. Like someone said, it's the attitude not the bike that makes you a biker. You work on your own Spyder, you ride in weather that only a crazy biker would ride in and you know how to get along with all walks of life without judging them for what they wear or what they ride. That's a true biker and the kind of people I want to call my friends and hangout with.

Now this Recluse guy may pride himself in not being a biker but what he appears to be is a Spyder snob. I'm about the easiest going guy you'll ever meet but this guy managed to offend me and 99% of my friends with his last post. I don't know what he was thinking when he posted that but the saying "It's better to be silent and be thought of as a fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" comes to mind. This is not the kind of guy I would ever want to hangout with and I don't care how many miles he has on his Spyder. He's going to open his mouth at the wrong time in the wrong place and wonder why he's laying on the ground with all his teeth knocked out. He better doing a little more reading up on bikers and respect before he spouts off like that anywhere other than a message board.

Sorry for the rant but this guy really pushed my buttons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    When you figure it out let me know. I'm still stewing on it.

I really like this bike out of all the ones you posted in this thread. If I was gonna get one of your two wheelers, this would be the one. I think I saw this one in a magazine years ago.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I really like this bike out of all the ones you posted in this thread. If I was gonna get one of your two wheelers, this would be the one. I think I saw this one in a magazine years ago.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post

I agree! That is beautiful!
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

you bikers are dangerous

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

What! No Skulls! I am totally dissapointed!

MM

Lamonster, tell them about one of my other rides!
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    What! No Skulls! I am totally dissapointed!

MM

Lamonster, tell them about one of my other rides!
    You guys are on your way of earning your first Flag

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default good write up

with all u said

Spyder Garage

Wink Don't be a hater!

Gosh, I guess I'm dumbfounded by all the people others have met that put down the Spyder. Whenever my friends and I would ride on BMws and pull up to a bike night we didn't get much attention. Now I ride to a local bike night and I get some much.....uh....attention (that's the word I'll use for it) that I've got to put it on lay away. The Spyder is an excellent perfomance machine regardless of the name. Just one ride anyone would be hooked on it's handling ability and versility for the open road.

Spyder Garage

Default Look familiar?

Harley Davidson Leaning Trike Patent Application

by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 6/1/2007
    in Motorcycle Business, Motorcycle Design, Three Wheel Motor Vehicles

Here’s something a bit different from the Motor Company, it’s a patent application from [COLOR=#ee0000! important][COLOR=#ee0000! important]Harley [COLOR=#ee0000! important]Davidson[/color][/color][/color] for a leaning trike. It’s looks like a cross between the Can-Am Spyder and the Brudeli 625 but it is distinctively Harley with the big twin power plant in there. Whether they are thinking of producing this or something similar, they probably wanted to get the paperwork in to make sure they were covered. Filed on either September 27, 2006 or April 5, 2007, I can’t figure out which dates apply, reading patent paperwork can be a bit confusing.
    From the application:
    The present invention relates to a [COLOR=#ee0000! important][COLOR=#ee0000! important]suspension[/color][/color] system for a three-wheeled vehicle. The suspension system permits the vehicle to lean while cornering, much like a motorcycle. This is accomplished via hydraulic actuators that force the bike into a leaning position while turning, and back to an upright position while tracking a straight line. A transverse beam is coupled to the hydraulic actuators and to spring dampers to allow the suspension to operate independently, even while the vehicle is cornering.
    More drawings and links below:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I bought my Spyder a year ago having never owned anything with less then 4 wheels. I have a little over 24000 miles on it so I guess I like it a bit.

One of the reasons I never bought a two wheeler was because I never wanted to be a 'Biker" whatever that is. Wearing dead animal skins, skulls crossbones and a preoccupation with death just does not do it for me. Then there is that flatulent noise coming out of most of them. What is that about? And with rare exception, most two wheelers talk a lot and don't ride very much. But if all of that works for you then I respect your individuality.

So I am content with being a candy A*& three wheel rider. And I am quite understanding that real bikers need the herd mentality thing to get them through the day. It is what making America great. Being different makes the government nervous.

I bought the Spyder because it is a different mode of transportation and it has some well thought out ideas. It is amazingly sound for a first run of a new idea.

And I apologize if I offended anyone here. Especially those "biker" guys who post such valuable information on here. I wave to every two wheeler I see on the road and some I see on the side of the road. Whether they wave back or not matters little to me. The few bikers I have chatted with along the way seem like nice enough people. Why wouldn't they be? They are out enjoying the ride just like me. The few times I have stopped at the Harley shop I have gotten nothing but friendly interest and helpful service.

So while I do not want to be a 'biker" I do want to enjoy and share the open road with any like minded individuals.
    Mr. Recluze:
    When I first read your post, I just smiled and shook my head and kept going. Now after reading some of my fellow "bikers'" responses, I realize that you were hitting us pretty low without any knowledge of who we are. I will try and break your post down in bits and pieces and explain some things to you and hopefully enlighten your otherwise cramped brain.

"One of the reasons I never bought a two wheeler was because I never wanted to be a 'Biker" whatever that is" This is the first of your statements that really baffled me. You admit that you don't know what a "Biker" is, but you didn't want to be one. That's like telling someone you don't like Pepsi, but you never tasted one. Well, here is my definition of a "Biker" (I have only ridden for over 40 years with over 300,000 miles, so I may be a bit off on the definition): One (male or female) who enjoys nature and feels that the "bike" (motorcycle) helps to get closer to nature. One who likes to smell the fresh smell of water when riding through a neighborhood in a desert town and someone is watering the lawn. One who likes the smell of manure when riding out in the country and riding by a dairy. One who loves the wind and the feel of freedom the bike provides. I could go on for a long time, but you get the picture.

Wearing dead animal skins, skulls crossbones and a preoccupation with death just does not do it for me. Now here is a good one! May I ask,"Do you wear shoes? Do you have a leather jacket, leather gloves, etc?" This may surprise you, but the animal had to be "dead" before it let anyone take it's skin! What about the Native Americans of not so long ago. They wore "dead animal skins" and had no "bikes". Skulls and crossbones? Where were the pirates hiding their "bikes"? And "a preoccupation with death" is a really one hard to understand. Do you mean to say that a "Biker" has a death-wish, or that he likes to fight and "kill" another "biker" of a different club? I have yet to meet anyone riding a motorcycle, be it a Harley, BMW, Honda or whatever that is looking forward to "dying"!

Then there is that flatulent noise coming out of most of them This one is funny! Do you mean to tell us that you have been close enough to a "Biker" to hear and smell his gas? But better yet, do you not pass gas yourself that you can point out someone else? I bet you do!

And with rare exception, most two wheelers talk a lot and don't ride very much. With the miles on your Spyder, I can tell you ride a lot, and that's great! Now, here is another revelation for you. "Bikers" buy bikes for different reasons. Some just like to crank it up on weekends and go 25-30 miles for breakfast. Others like to ride with friends and ride longer. And yes, there are some who just put 2000 miles a year on their bikes, but they do it and enjoy every mile. And talk, you bet! We have tales to tell about trips we took, scares we have had, thunderstorms we lived through, accidents we have had, bikes we've owned. You get the picture?

So I am content with being a candy A*& three wheel rider. I think you have described yourself to a "T". And remember, you called yourself that, no one else.

And I am quite understanding that real bikers need the herd mentality thing to get them through the day. How do you know what a "real biker" needs? You admitted in the beginning you didn't know what a "biker" was. What's "herd mentality" Cows move in herds, so does that mean we have the mentality of cows? Buffalo move in herds. Do we have the mentality of buffalo?

And I apologize if I offended anyone here. Especially those "biker" guys who post such valuable information on here. This is good! You "apologize" if you have offended anyone. No, my friend, you have not apologized because you don't know what constitutes an apology. An apology is given when something happens without intent. Here you have written to bash "Bikers" with premeditated thoughts. I for one do not accept your apology. And then to add insult to injury, you sop up the information that we "bikers" post on here! You're a loser from the git-go.

And the last of your post is still telling us how you sop up from "bikers" you see, even the Harley dealer.

And another thought. When you see a "herd" of bikers riding in December of any year...you know those tatooed, pot bellied, long bearded, loud talking, really trashy looking guys and gals...they are riding for "Toy Run for Kids" so kids who are not as privileged as you can have a toy for Christmas. Other rides by the same kinds of "herds" raise money for various hospitals to help kids. And lets not forget "Rolling Thunder" to D.C. to honor and support our veterans, living and dead.
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Mr. Recluze:
    When I first read your post, I just smiled and shook my head and kept going. Now after reading some of my fellow "bikers'" responses, I realize that you were hitting us pretty low without any knowledge of who we are. I will try and break your post down in bits and pieces and explain some things to you and hopefully enlighten your otherwise cramped brain.

"One of the reasons I never bought a two wheeler was because I never wanted to be a 'Biker" whatever that is" This is the first of your statements that really baffled me. You admit that you don't know what a "Biker" is, but you didn't want to be one. That's like telling someone you don't like Pepsi, but you never tasted one. Well, here is my definition of a "Biker" (I have only ridden for over 40 years with over 300,000 miles, so I may be a bit off on the definition): One (male or female) who enjoys nature and feels that the "bike" (motorcycle) helps to get closer to nature. One who likes to smell the fresh smell of water when riding through a neighborhood in a desert town and someone is watering the lawn. One who likes the smell of manure when riding out in the country and riding by a dairy. One who loves the wind and the feel of freedom the bike provides. I could go on for a long time, but you get the picture.

Wearing dead animal skins, skulls crossbones and a preoccupation with death just does not do it for me. Now here is a good one! May I ask,"Do you wear shoes? Do you have a leather jacket, leather gloves, etc?" This may surprise you, but the animal had to be "dead" before it let anyone take it's skin! What about the Native Americans of not so long ago. They wore "dead animal skins" and had no "bikes". Skulls and crossbones? Where were the pirates hiding their "bikes"? And "a preoccupation with death" is a really one hard to understand. Do you mean to say that a "Biker" has a death-wish, or that he likes to fight and "kill" another "biker" of a different club? I have yet to meet anyone riding a motorcycle, be it a Harley, BMW, Honda or whatever that is looking forward to "dying"!

Then there is that flatulent noise coming out of most of them This one is funny! Do you mean to tell us that you have been close enough to a "Biker" to hear and smell his gas? But better yet, do you not pass gas yourself that you can point out someone else? I bet you do!

And with rare exception, most two wheelers talk a lot and don't ride very much. With the miles on your Spyder, I can tell you ride a lot, and that's great! Now, here is another revelation for you. "Bikers" buy bikes for different reasons. Some just like to crank it up on weekends and go 25-30 miles for breakfast. Others like to ride with friends and ride longer. And yes, there are a some who just put 2000 miles a year on their bikes, but they do it and enjoy every mile. And talk, you bet! We have tales to tell about trips we took, scares we have had, thunderstorms we lived through, accidents we have had, bikes we've owned. You get the picture?

So I am content with being a candy A*& three wheel rider. I think you have described yourself to a "T". And remember, you called yourself that, no one else.

And I am quite understanding that real bikers need the herd mentality thing to get them through the day. How do you know what a "real biker" needs? You admitted in the beginning you didn't know what a "biker" was. What's "herd mentality" Cows move in herds, so does that mean we have the mentality of cows? Whales move in herds. Do we have the mentality of whales?

And I apologize if I offended anyone here. Especially those "biker" guys who post such valuable information on here. This is good! You "apologize" if you have offended anyone. No, my friend, you have not apologized because you don't know what constitutes an apology. An apology is given when something happens without intent. Here you have written to bash "Bikers" with premeditated thoughts. I for one do not accept your apology. And then to add insult to injury, you sop up the information that we "bikers" post on here! You're a loser from the git-go.

And the last of your post is still telling us how you sop up from "bikers" you see, even the Harley dealer.

And another thought. When you see a "herd" of bikers riding in December of any year...you know those tatooed, pot bellied, long bearded, loud talking, really trashing looking guys and gals...they are riding for "Toy Run for Kids" so kids who are not as privileged as you can have a toy for Christmas. Other rides by the same kinds of "herds" raise money for various hospitals to help kids. And lets not forget "Rolling Thunder" to D.C. to honor and support our veterans, living and dead.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Mr. Recluze:

And with rare exception, most two wheelers talk a lot and don't ride very much. With the miles on your Spyder, I can tell you ride a lot, and that's great! Now, here is another revelation for you. "Bikers" buy bikes for different reasons. Some just like to crank it up on weekends and go 25-30 miles for breakfast. Others like to ride with friends and ride longer. And yes, there are some who just put 2000 miles a year on their bikes, but they do it and enjoy every mile. And talk, you bet! We have tales to tell about trips we took, scares we have had, thunderstorms we lived through, accidents we have had, bikes we've owned. You get the picture?

And I am quite understanding that real bikers need the herd mentality thing to get them through the day. How do you know what a "real biker" needs? You admitted in the beginning you didn't know what a "biker" was. What's "herd mentality" Cows move in herds, so does that mean we have the mentality of cows? Whales move in herds. Do we have the mentality of whales?

And another thought. When you see a "herd" of bikers riding in December of any year...you know those tatooed, pot bellied, long bearded, loud talking, really trashy looking guys and gals...they are riding for "Toy Run for Kids" so kids who are not as privileged as you can have a toy for Christmas. Other rides by the same kinds of "herds" raise money for various hospitals to help kids. And lets not forget "Rolling Thunder" to D.C. to honor and support our veterans, living and dead.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So a duck walks into a biker bar and asks the bartender,

"Do you have any grapes?"

The bartender says "No, and I don't like ducks in my bar."

The duck leaves.

Next day, the duck walks into the same bar and asks the bartender,

"The bartender says, "I told you yesterday, I don't have any grapes! Now get out of my bar!"

The duck leaves.

Third day, the duck walks into the same bar and asks the bartender,

"The bartender yells, "LOOK--you come back in here one more time and I'M GONNA NAIL YOUR BEAK TO THIS BAR!"

The duck leaves.

The day after, the duck walks into the same bar and asks the bartender,

"Do you have any nails?"

The bartender hesitates, then replies, "Uh...no..."

The duck says, " Good. Do you have any grapes?"

Spyder Garage

Lamont might have to change your name to 'joker'.......
    I don't remember joking about anything Bro. EDIT- Just realized you weren't talking to me.

This is my wife (then girlfriend) on my bike when we were both 17. I'm 50 now and had four street bikes before ever owned a car. Bikes and bikers has been a big part of my life for many years and will be to the day I die. Opps, there goes my fixation on death again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So your a joke teller, eh? We are going to have to get together again and swap some. I don't want to post them here, being a family site and all.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post
    So your a joke teller, eh? We are going to have to get together again and swap some. I don't want to post them here, being a family site and all.......
    Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lamont might have to change your name to 'joker'.......
    Ha! ("Wanna see a magic trick?!")

After rereading this thread, I was gonna just type

YOU KIDS STOP FIGHTING OR I"M TURNING THIS CAR RIGHT AROUND!

or maybe

AM I GOING TO HAVE TO SEPARATE YOU?!

...I worked with a friend whose family escaped from Communist China.

Into Vietnam. Right before the war. Really.

He then made it to the U.S. and started working as a janitor. Hardest working guy you'd ever meet. He was cleaning the school one day and realized how grimy it was behind that little red lever on the wall in the hall, so he pulled it down and wiped all around behind it. Of course bells were clanging like crazy, and he was still there cleaning the fire alarm box when the firemen came running into the building and down the hall. One of them said "What the heck? Don't you even know what that lever does?! How long have you lived here--a week?!"

My friend answered, "Two days!"

(True story.)

Whenever any one of us would whine about our job or our sandwich or our shoes, he'd patiently listen, then smile, and respond with something like "My entire village burned to the ground."

We'd stare awhile, then say, "Oh. That's bad, too..."

(True.)

Here's my repost.

Spyder Garage

While not perhaps worded in the best way, I get what he means by 'biker'. I think he used a bit of a broad brush, but I get his meaning.

HD bikers from the 60's and 70's had 'that' reputation - thanks to many movies and publicity of various MC gangs around the nation.

Some folks can't let go of those stereotypes, and some bikers still like to 'look the look' if you know what I mean.

When I went to a Spyderteam Demo and rode one the first time, some HD guy showed up - and this guy sure had the old-school biker attitude. I mean--- no one could possibly be the bad-azz this guy was claiming to be. He told me if I was to pull into a certain biker bar nearby with the Spyder that I would get my azz beat. Yeah - right---- whatever.

He was giving us crap about the Spyders - so I called him out on it and asked him "Well what in the heck are you doing at a Spyder demo then if these things are for sissies?".

He said he was curious. He went on about how it wasn't a real bike, blah blah. So I challenged him - I said "how do you know if this machine is bad-azz or not without riding one?". So I talked him into going out with the next demo tour.

As I was inside plunking down my downpayment, he went for a ride. I got done in time to see him pull in - and I can tell you that he had a large smile on his face. He admitted that it could run pretty good, but that he still would not buy one. I later found out that he was totally thrashing the Spyder during the whole 20 minute demo ride.

A year later when I got my Spyder, a friend of mine and I went for a ride - he owns a Big Dog Classic. After the ride we were hungry and he said he wanted to go to THAT biker bar. I could hardly wait - as I was really in need of a good beating ;-).

The only reason I could have been beat up is that 1/2 the bar cleared out to come out and see the Spyder - and the women just LOVED the trunk.

No teeth were lost, no blood was drawn. We had a nice dinner and I answered tons of questions.

Sure, there are some of those old 'roughneck' biker types out there - but they are anything BUT the typical biker. I remember seeing a show on Sturgis and they interviewed an ER doctor that had worked during Sturgis for many years. He said that back in the 70's they would pull guns and knifes off of bikers that came into the ER for whatever reason. Now he said they're pulling off pagers, cell phones and blackberrys!

The stereotypical biker from the old biker movies most likely couldn't afford an HD these days - they market to a different crowd now.

I've never been too concerned about the 'bikers' - no matter what I was riding.