Spyder Garage

Default Vibration in rear end on 2014 RT Limited

Just bought me a 2014 RT Limited with 2600 miles. Had the 3000 mile service done, and everything checked out. Was driving it home from Arkansas and was keeping it at about 65 -70mph all the way to Kentucky to check gas mileage using the Eco and was getting about 200-213 miles before the gas light would come on (36-40 mpg.. Well, the rest of the way from the in-laws to Michigan I picked up a little on speed. When I get to the 75 mph area, I get a vibration in the rear end in 6th gear. If I downshift into 5th it goes away, till I hit around 80-82, then I get the vibration again. Any idea why this is? Anything below the 70 mph, it is as smooth as glass.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

That's the well documented and talked about, dreaded, belt harmonic. 4 thousand rpm, 6th gear, 75 miles per hour.
    I generally just kind of go "trail throttle" if you know what I mean, or I motor through , like up to 80?
    Really, this is the thing that makes these MUCH better on a two lane than freeway flying at or near the speed limit (70-75)
    May want to consider one of the tensioners out there. I am thinking about the "smooth spyder" one, because I like the no drill deal.
    Even with this harmonic, I just know you are gonna love your RT, almost as much as I love mine.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is much more fun to power through it. And why stop at 80mph. Runs real smooth at 90!!!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

nothing to worry about..if you want piece of mind put the belt tensioner on

if not try adjusting belt tension but you will still get the vibration

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's exactly what they've already said that it is...
    If you remember when it pops up; you can use it as a speed indicator.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Vibration

I just talked to my dealer and he said Can AM does not see this as a problem and has nothing in the works to fix the issue. Suggests dropping down a mile per hour or two or speeding up. Says one of his customers installed the SmootheSpyder tensioner and still had the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Adding the belt tensioners will often help a lot...
    But if the harmonic vibration sets up at a speed that you don't normally ride at: it shouldn't be a big worry for you.
    If you DO happen to ride in that vibration range: they're worth a consideration.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RobertS View Post
    I just talked to my dealer and he said Can AM does not see this as a problem and has nothing in the works to fix the issue. Suggests dropping down a mile per hour or two or speeding up. Says one of his customers installed the SmootheSpyder tensioner and still had the problem.
    Not quite true. There is a technical service bulletin about changing belt tension to move the vibration to a speed the owner can live with. BRP also has a belt tensioner for the F3 coming out, and maybe for the RT. And then as has been mentioned there is the after market belt tensioner option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Due to it's longer belt: the F3s probably need more help with this matter. BRP has only offered some belt tension suggestions for the other bikes that doesn't mean that it's considered to be a "problem"...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

although I have not installed my tensioner yet. I really don't feel the vibs until I hit 90 MPH..How often do I ride at that speed??

It really has been no problem for me..The bike hums along while doing 70 MPH..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only time that I ever get much about 65: Travelling to SpyderFest!
    For that single trip, that happens every couple of years: I can cope!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I also have a 2010 RT which I have never noticed any vibration, and have had it up to 92, and never noticed anything. I just got this 2014 RT and noticed it on the way home from picking it up, and when it started, I was just not sure whether it was a problem that I needed to have checked out or not. I can live with it. I don't usually do much more than 65-70 anyway. Just wanted some other opinions.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Answer to the Vibrations

Here at Baker Built we sell a Belt Stabilizer, this is not a tensioner the stabilizer adds support to the belt and reduces the flap of the belt which is causing the vibration. The belt stabilizers remove 75-80% of the vibration you once felt and make the rides much smoother. These are easy installed and well worth the money. You can find more info on our website here is the attached link. http://bakerbuilt.com/spybs.html if you have any other questions you can email us at info@bakerbuilt.com or call us at 1-800-451-9464.

IMG_1267.jpgIMG_0020.jpg
    Baker Built

Spyder Garage

I’m wondering what has developed since this post. We just picked up a 2014 RT and experienced the vibration tonight around 75 MPH riding 2 peeps.

Spyder Garage

I dropped my tension from 230# to around 160 and the majority of it is gone. I would reset the tension first and see how it goes.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue