Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drift mode

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drift mode

Guys do we know... or better say, do you know if there will be an option to upload our elder f3s - from 2015 with the drift mode? i think its just the matter of software, right?
    martin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There has nothing officially announced just yet about this...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that road well...
    It's NOT a corner to play boy-racer with!!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know that even not in sport mode, my Daytona has yet to kick in the nanny, and I have have had slight wheel lift when cornering a few times. I'll ask my rep at Imotorsports to check it out about reprogramming.

Oh, and did I mention I LOVE the instant start.

Spyder Garage

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

If he had tires down to the wear limit he would have drifted nicely ... to much grab and he should have stayed on the gas.... Really needs a rear wheel drive to have fun....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've travelled that route at least a half-dozen times each year, for the past 35 years...

...And have I got a story about that curve...
    In the Spring of 1980; our Pistol Team went to New Paltz for an indoor Bullseye match. The fellow who drove us over there had just purchased a Chevy Citation (The one they advertised the front-wheel drive by hooking it up to a load equalizing hitch, and removing the rear wheels...)
    After the match: we're heading for home. About a half-mile from that corner: a honking-big old raccoon comes off the bank, and BOOM!!! We smack it: dead-center!
    We all climb out... the front spoiler is torn loose, and is dragging... The owner of the car is really pissed.
    (He's also a fellow who doesn't deal with adversity very well!)
    Now; we're storming up that hill... doing maybe 35mph...
    AND HERE'S THAT TURN!!!!
    He leans over on the wheel, and we sail around that corner without loosing a single bit of speed.
    ...And nobody is even daring to breathe; much less speak!
    (By the way: there's six of us stuffed into this car.
    About a minute later; the driver turns to the other two guys in the front seat:
    "You want to know something" I completely forgot that turn was there!"
    Ya think??

Spyder Garage

Talked to my guy at Imotorsports in Elmhurst, Ill, and he says that from what he has heard there are no plans at this time to upgrade drift mode in earlier models. Someone else may have more info, though....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If he had tires down to the wear limit he would have drifted nicely ... to much grab and he should have stayed on the gas.... Really needs a rear wheel drive to have fun....

That is a Focus RS which Ford makes in Germany. 350HP AWD standard transmission. Driver error... trust me it wasn't the cars fault.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3-S. My understanding is the the 2017 preorders were built from leftover 2016 "Yard Models" by BRP.

So the answer is yes, in theory, we know at the factory they can put sport mode on the 2015's and 2016's via either new computer and cluster or new computer firmware and cluster.

I highly doubt they'll give the dealers the ability to do that.

I've been running my F3 a couple of months now and I have to tell you I tried sport mode once around a went turn in the neighborhood. Big Whoop. I've gotten that F3 sideways on dry pavement a lot without sport mode on at all. I can do a burnout without it and get sideways anytime I want. I think the only use it has is slow speed eating of the tire.

I'll probably turn it on someday on the twisties here in NC and TN after I get used to her more. After riding the Dragon and the 209 pretty hard a few weeks back, I tend to think sport mode in the twisties is more of a liability than any help. Just my opinion.

Glad I didn't buy mine for the sport mode.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default lol

I love when the topic goes in totally different direction

but i dont like the comment, that it is not planned to be option for elder models
    lets see what future will bring...

have a great days guys,
    martin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    I have a 2017 F3-S. My understanding is the the 2017 preorders were built from leftover 2016 "Yard Models" by BRP.

So the answer is yes, in theory, we know at the factory they can put sport mode on the 2015's and 2016's via either new computer and cluster or new computer firmware and cluster.

I highly doubt they'll give the dealers the ability to do that.

I've been running my F3 a couple of months now and I have to tell you I tried sport mode once around a went turn in the neighborhood. Big Whoop. I've gotten that F3 sideways on dry pavement a lot without sport mode on at all. I can do a burnout without it and get sideways anytime I want. I think the only use it has is slow speed eating of the tire.

I'll probably turn it on someday on the twisties here in NC and TN after I get used to her more. After riding the Dragon and the 209 pretty hard a few weeks back, I tend to think sport mode in the twisties is more of a liability than any help. Just my opinion.

Glad I didn't buy mine for the sport mode.
    I agree. Haven't tried mine and probably won't.

Spyder Garage

Default Drift mode

I have a 2015 F3S with the semi auto and I think I may be missing something in this discussion about Drift Mode. What is it? That said, I can do burn outs anytime I want, I have been side ways at 35 mph in 3rd gear just trying to get out of a cagers way. Pulling away from a stop requires a gentle touch on the throttle or you
    chirp the tire. I am not bragging or complaining but traction has always been a tough nut to handle and riding in the rain requires your full time attention. I am gonna chase down a real good rear tire when the time comes for replacement and maybe sooner than later. I have been juggling the air pressure on the rear to try and see what works best. Feel free to jump in here with opinions/experience and I apologize if I am hi jacking anything.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Guess it is going to have to go through the legal eagle division before they get the OK to add this to previously sold vehicles. It would not be deemed a safety or handling improvement and if they add it to units not sold that way and they go out and get into some kind of trouble....would they be liable.. just thinking out loud....saw a video recently of a fellow trying to see how high he could get his front wheel off the ground, ( will be complaining about alignment here shortly ) then another doing dounuts....is this what they intended by giving Joe public less VSS...?? But we are seeing more and more wanting the mod....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    I have a 2015 F3S with the semi auto and I think I may be missing something in this discussion about Drift Mode. What is it? That said, I can do burn outs anytime I want, I have been side ways at 35 mph in 3rd gear just trying to get out of a cagers way. Pulling away from a stop requires a gentle touch on the throttle or you
    chirp the tire. I am not bragging or complaining but traction has always been a tough nut to handle and riding in the rain requires your full time attention. I am gonna chase down a real good rear tire when the time comes for replacement and maybe sooner than later. I have been juggling the air pressure on the rear to try and see what works best. Feel free to jump in here with opinions/experience and I apologize if I am hi jacking anything.

Dray
    Not sure why the OP is calling it 'Drift Mode'.
    It's called 'Sport Mode' and all it does is allow you to turn the front wheels sideways while spinning the rear tire... which you can do to some degree without it.
    It was just a marketing thing and serves no serious purpose in my opinion.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO; it would have been better to market it as, "Hooligan Mode"!
    And Dan: you're correct! You could always spin the rear tire, as long as your handlebars weren't turned.

Spyder Garage

I am curious to see how much fun in the snow sport mode will be.

On a more serious note, one reason more not to hammer is that I just heard about the front sprocket retaining bolt shearing off in the shaft. Unable to remove, so a complete shaft assy. to fix.

Spyder Garage

Default many good points

Many good points here.
    for me i dont care that much about drifting. well I do, but only sometimes.
    More important is for me to sleep down the nanny a little bit. I do drive the bike quite hard, with many mods - also towards shocks that yes, that allows me to drive on 2 wheels from time to time - not something i really want, but what ever makes it go faster around the corner. What I really want to see, if it can help you to get out from the corners faster.. coz now sometime its just too lazy and protecting me way to much.

will see what BRP and future will bring.. as I say, everything bad is good for something else.. maybe without it, i will stay longer alive

Spyder Garage

I would only be interested in sport mode if turns down the stability control systems. Since getting used to the bike I find myself 'bumping into' it's upper range accelerating off roundabouts in the 30-50mph range. At first I thought I was in too high a gear and out of the powerband but I've since realised it's the systems limiting power until the bike is straight. Feels like a hesitation in the power delivery until the handlebars straaghten up

If the sport mode reduces the intervention there it would be useful, but I'm not interested in burnouts or donuts.

Any feedback from 2017 owners whether it makes a difference at those speeds and those types of situations?
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
    I thought Guardian Angels can fly at the speed of light or faster?..... lol.... jk 😉

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    IMHO; it would have been better to market it as, "Hooligan Mode"!
    And Dan: you're correct! You could always spin the rear tire, as long as your handlebars weren't turned.
    Bob,

On the GS/RS/ST that was the case... Too much steering yaw angle and the throttle would be retarded down to one cylinder.

With these F3's I can get that rear tire spinning with the bike going sideways without sport mode on dry or wet roads. Note, I have a manual so that might make a difference.

If anything, sport mode would have been more welcome on the RS line as the nanny there tends to be abrupt when it intervenes.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's kind of like this; right?

https://youtu.be/eFW2cYc4t-w

Spyder Garage

Cool 2015 f3s

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Guys do we know... or better say, do you know if there will be an option to upload our elder f3s - from 2015 with the drift mode? i think its just the matter of software, right?
    martin
    I hope they do I would gladly pay for this feacher

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's kind of like this; right?

https://youtu.be/eFW2cYc4t-w
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    An awful cover version of a great song!!

Ahem.....back to topic. Sorry, apologies.