Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER QUESTION - Harbor Freight

I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 10-18-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one. I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!
    If that was allowed I would have gotten a jack for my spyder a long time ago! They have one that I really like, but no such luck with me either! Pretty sure they all have the same policy!

Spyder Garage

Other than a mild irritation, it's cheap enough to get it and modify it and enjoy it. You could wait and hope that it's on sale sometime in the near future.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Pitzerwm, My quote"I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that." So to you I say it's not that I couldn't buy it but if there's a way to use the discount coupons why not find out how?....that would be 20-25% toward the mods. You answered nothing but you did add to your post count i guess. Reread my original post please. Safe riding!
    Last edited by trikerbiker645; 10-18-2016 at 10:53 PM.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

I think the 20% or 25% off coupon not usable for their trailers is something they recently changed. When I bought mine a year or two ago I flashed the coupon and she said "let's try it" and it worked, she shrugged her shoulders and carried on. I didn't look at the coupon to see what the restrictions were.

Tag-Along (Medium).jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER QUESTION - Harbor Freight

WA5VHU , Did you extend your tongue? Looks like it from your picture......safe riding!

Spyder Garage

WA5VHU , Did you extend your tongue? Looks like it from your picture......safe riding!
    Yes, a little bit too far I think. I carry a Honda EU1000i generator on the tongue in the silver box and I wanted to make the hitch weight lighter so I replaced the tongue bar with a longer one. It is a bear to back up, lots of steering input does almost nothing, just the opposite of the shorter bar that caused the trailer to want to jackknife with any steering. If I towed it more often I would shorten it some.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Also, if you haven't searched around, the most common immediate modifications to the Tag-Along is to replace the incandescent lights with LED lights (I used the HF kit), get rid of all the squeeze/crimp wiring connections by soldering and sealing/taping the connections and run a separate ground wire to every light.

A search will turn up many more mods.

And don't believe all the naysayers that claim the 8" tires will cause the destruction of this planet. Turns out none of those "experts" ever towed a Harbor Freight Tag-Along with 8" tires so in reality they don't know what they are talking about. Don't get me started...
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Spyder Garage

I use to have one of the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long trailers. Used it when I had a Gold Wing. When I got the Spyder, I didn't like the looks of the factory hitch, so we sold the trailer to some friends.

I have another friend who liked it some much that he bought one and did the same mods I did.

Things I did to the trailer before I ever used it:

1. Clean out the grease from the wheel bearing and put in the some good stuff. From the factory the bearings have a very light grease in them and they are never full. I have heard from some that there was no grease at all in the bearing. Be careful when doing this that you don't damage the bearings. They are an odd size and not easily found locally (at least for me there were none around). I had to order some from the net.

2. I replaced the bolts that attach the storage bin part to the actual trailer part. For this I used long eye bolts with the eye being inside the storage area. I attached a web bungie to the eye bolts and it works great to keep things held down inside.

3. Bolted on a spare tire and carrier (both from Harbor Freight) onto the tongue.

If I ever get a hitch for the Spyder, I will definitely get another Tag-A-Long.

Spyder Garage

Default HF Coupon

I have 2 HF coupons in my pocket. Exiry date 10/31/2016 and 2/9/2017
    Both list no trailers or carts and a whole raft of excluded automotive products.
    Darn...

Spyder Garage

Bought mine used but never used on Criags List. $150!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER-QUESTION-Harbor-Freight

Well it appears the coupon's are done with so that answers my questions. Good score Finless on your buy!.. I did find a guy that wants to sell his used HB trailer- new this year with only about 1000 miles on it. But he wants $400 with no mods done to it. I told him I could get a new one in the box for $357.00 any time.....told me to go get one.....maybe in the spring.
    I made a nice hitch cargo box similar to the NHR one Jt is designing but even with keeping the weight limit to less than 40 lbs I think I might be getting a lot more bounce and stress and rebound on the swingarm than I would with a trailer with the same tongue weight and the load being back in a trailer with springs to absorb some of the bounce. Maybe not. But that's why I'm considering a cheaper trailer for the 2 -3 times a year I might use it. safe riding!

Spyder Garage

I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!
    Bloody fine print strikes again!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default POP-UP CAMPER TRAILERS

Has anyone tried pulling a pop-up camper (see http://aspenqualitytrailers.com/?id=47) ?

Are there any special challenges with towing?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 WINGS View Post
    Has anyone tried pulling a pop-up camper (see http://aspenqualitytrailers.com/?id=47) ?

I have pulled a pop up tent trailer, (Free Spirit) Aspen knock off at least 30K miles with no problem,
    First with a 998 then the 1330 not much difference except mileage. I also had a HF tag behind but sold it as we were just not using it as we had 3 trailer counting the dog trailer so one had to go.
    BBQ & coast trip 014.jpg i phone photos 016.jpg i phone photos 065.jpg i phone photos 120.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 WINGS View Post

Yepper!

Our Combi-Camp. We now have a Roll-A-Home, towed it with the car, haven't towed it with a Spyder yet. The only special challenge I have encountered is making myself go back home!

Go over to http://www.motocampers.com/ to see much more about both bike and trike motorcycles towing trailers.

20150914_134431 - Copy.jpg
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Spyder Garage

I had a "piggy back" trailer, it's a step up from harbor freight trailer. It cost more, but it came with spare tire, and cooler rack. When it needed tires, they sent me the tires, with the wheel bearings. I pulled this trailer many miles, with my spyder, and even my car. That trailer was great, you wouldn't even know it was back there. I love camping, and it served me well. Wish I could get a hitch for my f3. That's another story..🤐
    Barb

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk