Thread: vancouver trip

Spyder Garage

Default vancouver trip

I am in the beginning stage of planning a trip from San Diego Ca. to Vancouver. anyone done it? any suggestions on routes so its not all asphalt?

What is the best time of year to take the trip? Places to stop along the way? who to call/stop if problems come up? Any and all tips you have. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Vancouver Trip

Whats your destination? Vancouver WA, Vancouver BC, or Vancouver Island BC? I've done all three and the only North/South routes that I have taken other than Interstate 5 are paved so I can't help on not paved. CA hwy 1(the coast hwy) thru CA is good as is US 101 thru CA, OR ,and WA. I think any time from Spring (April) thru Fall (Oct) is good for travel. There could be fog along the coast. And of course roads are usually more crowed in the summer months. Hope this helps a little to get you started. Others will probably have more suggestions.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

There are trip planners, AAA can also set you up with routes and sights to see. I use GPS and filter no freeways. Good thing to have is the spydercodes app which has codes and solutions, dealers nationwide, spyders to the rescue nationwide as well as other helpful things...mpg's etc. Also add my radar app for constant weather maps real time. Should be a great trip and planning is a lot of fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reknhevn View Post
    Whats your destination? Vancouver WA, Vancouver BC, or Vancouver Island BC? I've done all three and the only North/South routes that I have taken other than Interstate 5 are paved so I can't help on not paved. CA hwy 1(the coast hwy) thru CA is good as is US 101 thru CA, OR ,and WA. I think any time from Spring (April) thru Fall (Oct) is good for travel. There could be fog along the coast. And of course roads are usually more crowed in the summer months. Hope this helps a little to get you started. Others will probably have more suggestions.
    B.C and thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

US101 N will take you to Port Angeles, WA. then take a Port Townsend ferry to Coupeville,Whidbey Island thru Oak Harbor,WA. WA-20 then I-5 north to BC. Chuckanut drive is another nice road to Bellingham, WA. then I-5 to BC. Happy Spyding.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

If you decide to come up on US101 in WA, after passing thru the town of Forks on the way to Port Angeles take a detour. Take hwy 113 north to hwy 112 Cllallam Bay then head west on 112 to Neah Bay and go to Cape Flattery, the most north western tip of the lower 48 states. Then head back on 112 east to Port Angeles and continue on east to Port Townsand etc.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I second the suggestions to island hop in the San Juans! We did and loved it. We did it in June, lovely weather.

Let's see.. from San Diego, head up the 15 and then hang a left at San Bernardino and west to Ventura, avoiding most of the LA traffic, maybe Angeles Crest Hwy in the process. Then up the coast using a mix of PCH and 101. Take in Skyline Drive in the Bay Area, Golden Gate, the Redwoods, and then up to the Oregon coast.

"not all asphalt"?? Planning a little gravel / dirt roading?

Once you cross the Canadian border, try staying in White Rock, a little beach community 1/2 hr away from the Vancouver congestion.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Vancouver Island

I don't know your reason to go to Vancouver as its a big congested traffic city. But you can take the ferry from Port Angeles
    to Victoria BC on the Island. Its a quaint older British city with lots to do and see. Plus head up Island lose all the traffic
    and ride next to the ocean. Great scenery and lots of things to see. You can even stay in our camper for a night or two free
    if you get to mid island. Plus we can take you on some great side trips. PM me if this may work out for you. Bob.
    But in June we will be heading East to the 10th.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    I don't know your reason to go to Vancouver as its a big congested traffic city. But you can take the ferry from Port Angeles
    to Victoria BC on the Island. Its a quaint older British city with lots to do and see. Plus head up Island lose all the traffic
    and ride next to the ocean. Great scenery and lots of things to see. You can even stay in our camper for a night or two free
    if you get to mid island. Plus we can take you on some great side trips. PM me if this may work out for you. Bob.
    But in June we will be heading East to the 10th.
    How nice of you and thanks for the input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1, Vancouver is a big metropolitan city, all glass and steel and congestion. Good food and nice parks, but congestion. Victoria is charming and at least downtown, quite walkable. Riding out to the wilder west coast is scenic.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I am in the beginning stage of planning a trip from San Diego Ca. to Vancouver. anyone done it? any suggestions on routes so its not all asphalt?

What is the best time of year to take the trip? Places to stop along the way? who to call/stop if problems come up? Any and all tips you have. Thanks
    I would do Route 66 to Williams, AZ go 50 miles north to the Grand Canyon over to Page, Utah enjoy the beauty of Lake Powelland all the beauty Utah has, then head East
    Last edited by ISPYD; 10-20-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Wrong symbol appeared