Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Friend concidering buying 2010 RT any advice?

I have a friend considering purchasing a 2010 RT with 14k miles for a killer price. Can anyone out there speak about this year and model? is there anything to look out for? It will be out of warranty. I am having the local dealer run the vin, anything else?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default V-TWIN RT

If No warranty available ......it could get very very expensive if something Major breaks......Low initial cost can be tempting but $1500 + repair bill will wipe that right out ...... good luck, .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are there any heat issues on the 2010 RT?

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 rt and it was a great bike, but I had a warranty and was glad I did. I replaced the air shock and the brake fluid reservoir, which would have been costly.
    Good luck.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had one...
    Throttle bodies went out twice
    Throttle position sensor died once
    Windshield strut busted once
    Rear brakelight switch busted...

I loved every moment of ownership, but there were some tense moments...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I put over 36,000 miles on my Premier Edition 2010 RTS. No major issues.

I had the throttle body replaced because of "hot engine starts" issue.

The gas gauge was funky--as in needle drifting all over the place. Repair did not help, so I disconnected the gauges and went to the digital display--no issues after that.

I traded off the 2010 RT for the new 2014 with the 1330 engine. I do like that better, but still have a 2011 RT in my stable. Still going strong at 24,000 miles and no issues whatsoever.

Mike is right, a major repair will wipe out any savings (if it happens). Time to spin the roulette wheel.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

look under the cycle , see if the plastic shields look like they are out of place or mis- aligned , if one side looks tucked in and other side looks like it is just hanging , with oil or fluid wet spots , something has been looked at and is expensive , or can -not be fixed easy ... wet spots under neath , skins look off ... check fluid levels if you take it for a drive , before and after , and check for drips again ....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Understand at expensive repairs when not covered under warranty but at 9800.00, any repairs will take some doing to get up to a new RT. Thanks for the heads up everyone in what to look for and feel for when going to take a look at the Spyder. She understands it is an entry level Spyder for her. Not looking at high-end yet. But at this price she will not have as much invested if she decides that she does not like it or wants go to the 1330 and hopefully sell the 2010 for close to what she paid for it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Understand at expensive repairs when not covered under warranty but at 9800.00, any repairs will take some doing to get up to a new RT. Thanks for the heads up everyone in what to look for and feel for when going to take a look at the Spyder. She understands it is an entry level Spyder for her. Not looking at high-end yet. But at this price she will not have as much invested if she decides that she does not like it or wants go to the 1330 and hopefully sell the 2010 for close to what she paid for it.
    Looks like a great deal.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For that kind of money: wish him the best of luck from all of us, and we can't wait for him to show off his new bike in here!

Spyder Garage

Still have our 2010 RTS with 61,500 miles. Running great, and have had to replace/fix 1) windshield center support with "NoBoots" billet aluminum support, 2) mirror attachment plastic tab that screws onto mirror and interfaces with upper metal post, 3) RH fender bracket (weld crack), 4) air compressor (noisy & blew fuses).

She's barely broken in! Love it more and more with every ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

For that price is worth the chance of anything going wrong!

Spyder Garage

My first was a 2010 RT and it had an issue every 3K miles. My 2014 has been very dependable and is a far better ride as well.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

looks like no spyder. Setting up time and place to look at the for sale spyder, all going well, all questions asked and answered. Last question was VIN number request so I could check with nearest Spyder dealer on repairs and recalls. Owner said that he would get that for me and then dropped all communications.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if there may have been some shenanigans occurring...
    It's a good thing that your friend didn't get caught in a potential mess.
    There'll be other bikes, and one of them will turn out to be THE one!

Spyder Garage

While buying private may be a little cheaper, going through a dealer and getting a warranty is a much better choice.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

looks like no spyder. Setting up time and place to look at the for sale spyder, all going well, all questions asked and answered. Last question was VIN number request so I could check with nearest Spyder dealer on repairs and recalls. Owner said that he would get that for me and then dropped all communications.
    Never buy a bike you can't see in person and have checked out. Ideally, at a dealership with a good reputation or by an experienced tech. There are a lot of scams out there.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

It appears that you may have been saved from either a scam or getting stuck with a machine with a history of troubles.

There are more out there, but this one may not be the one for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default fuel gauge, how did you reset it to read digital please?

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I put over 36,000 miles on my Premier Edition 2010 RTS. No major issues.

I had the throttle body replaced because of "hot engine starts" issue.

The gas gauge was funky--as in needle drifting all over the place. Repair did not help, so I disconnected the gauges and went to the digital display--no issues after that.

I traded off the 2010 RT for the new 2014 with the 1330 engine. I do like that better, but still have a 2011 RT in my stable. Still going strong at 24,000 miles and no issues whatsoever.

Mike is right, a major repair will wipe out any savings (if it happens). Time to spin the roulette wheel.
    can you please tell me how you disconnected fuel gauge and made it to digital?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happygrin View Post
    You simply remove the four screws on the dash, remove the wires from both analog gauges (yes, you have to disconnect on either side) and voila, the digital display in the center will show you the fuel level. You do lose the temperature level on the right side, but that usually doesn't affect anyone.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    You simply remove the four screws on the dash, remove the wires from both analog gauges (yes, you have to disconnect on either side) and voila, the digital display in the center will show you the fuel level. You do lose the temperature level on the right side, but that usually doesn't affect anyone.
    Mine also shows digital temperature
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default 73K on my '10 RT

But would not have wanted to be without extended warranty. I didn't consider anything as major because I had the warranty...but without it...OUCH. Issues.
    Shift spline broke. Passenger "bladder" would not hold air...dealer replaced twice on third time BRP approved putting in the auto fill compressor. It liked oil..so in my extended travels had to carry several qts of oil....wanted 8-10 ounces every 700+- miles. I certainly enjoyed the '10 but when I decided on the 1330 engine it was like WOW...don't know your friends budget but the 1330 is far superior in soooo many ways IMHO.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happygrin View Post
    Brian Kay in post #20 has you covered. Also Zip in post #21.

You should disconnect both gauges and you will end up with digital fuel and temperature on the main screen.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    ...I certainly enjoyed the '10 but when I decided on the 1330 engine it was like WOW...don't know your friends budget but the 1330 is far superior in soooo many ways IMHO.
    The 998s lit the fires...

...That the 1330s just LOVE to keep stoking!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-07-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

When you find another Spyder you are interested in but has no warranty try Zurich. I bought my Spyder from a private party and the factory warranty had expired with no BEST warranty available. I got one thru Zurich and it has nearly paid for itself. Don't let no warranty scare you away there are options.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze