Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Hitch control module

Hi all, just taken delivery of a new RT. This is my second Can Am and really happy with it. I have decided to fit a trailer hitch as I have towed trailers with my previous bikes, managed to purchase an after market hitch from your neck of the woods, the cost for a Can Am unit here in New Zealand is double the price. I however see that there is a control module associated with trailer hitches as an accessory, does anyone know if they are totally necessary. Firstly I must state that I am in the electrical trade, so I have wired up previous trailer connections and have an understanding of the systems involved. I am assuming that the control module that they are talking about is a device that provides an interface with the trailer and bike wiring without being directly connected to the bikes' wiring system. Normally when wiring such things, they are connected directly into the wiring loom going to the vehicles' rear lights and blinker circuits. I know the Can Am has very smart computer management systems, so my concern now is that if I were to connect my trailer system, would it sense the extra load of the additional lights and come up with a fault. I would think this to be unlikely but you never know. Has anyone had any dealings with this?
    2016 RT , Pearl White

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Because of the sensitivity of the Can-Am circuitry and how easy it is to upset Nanny, I recommend you go with a harness. They electrically isolate the lighting circuits from the trailer.

Can-Am's is pricey, and converts the Spyder's 4 lighting circuits into 3 by combining the brake and turn signals. Big Bike Parts sells one (much less expensive) that maintains the 4 individual circuits. Your best choice might depend on how many lighting circuits there are one your trailer.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

According to the manuals, the factory module allows the vehicle stability control system to adapt to the trailer when it is plugged in.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    According to the manuals, the factory module allows the vehicle stability control system to adapt to the trailer when it is plugged in.
    I believe that setting the bike to trailer mode accomplishes that task, and there no circuitry for feedback through the wiring harness. The pre-2014 bikes have the trailer mode option but BRP discontinued this in 2014 with the higher torque engine.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The turn signals are powered directly by the cluster, an expensive component. The module will protect it from shorts, etc., that may be caused by trailer wiring problems. There is no fuse in the circuits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I believe that in New Zealand the requirement for the trailer turn signal lights are separate amber lights. That is legal in NA but it is more common to have the brake and turn signal lights combined. That is one of the functions of the isolation/converter, AKA control module, that comes from BRP. So I think that would be a problem for you anyway. I would recommend you get an aftermarket harness like this: http://store.valueaccessories.net/Tr...sSpyderRT.aspx This is a site sponsor. It will give you the isolation function that is recommended and have a 5 wire output that you attach whatever connector that matches your trailer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I believe that setting the bike to trailer mode accomplishes that task, and there no circuitry for feedback through the wiring harness. The pre-2014 bikes have the trailer mode option but BRP discontinued this in 2014 with the higher torque engine.
    I don't have any experience with the previous model years, but you are right, there is no user selectable trailer mode on my 15 RTL. Here's what the user manual has to say:

The VSS (vehicle stability system) on
    the roadster RT series incorporates
    a program that allows to tow a BRP
    trailer while maintaining appropriate
    vehicle stability control.

That leads me to believe that the trailer module detects the lighting load of the trailer and reports this to the VSS system to enable the trailer mode automatically.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The turn signals are powered directly by the cluster, an expensive component. The module will protect it from shorts, etc., that may be caused by trailer wiring problems. There is no fuse in the circuits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    On the 15 RTL there is a 10 amp fuse for the trailer located in the Right Fuse Box number 4 position. Since there is no user selectable trailer mode, the trailer module must report over the CANBUS whether or not the trailer is attached in order for the VSS to recognize that it is there.

Spyder Garage

I don't have any experience with the previous model years, but you are right, there is no user selectable trailer mode on my 15 RTL. Here's what the user manual has to say:

That leads me to believe that the trailer module detects the lighting load of the trailer and reports this to the VSS system to enable the trailer mode automatically.
    At the risk of beating this into the ground, I don't see how the software could differentiate between added turn signals to the mirror or fenders vs added turn signals on a trailer. The manual doesn't mention the lights. The wording is vague and obviously I've never dug through their control software, but I'm guess the software has more to do with the load the transmission and the load on the various wheels. The trailer mode on the older bikes primarily changed the shift points on the transmission. The newer bykes produce more torque making this less of an issue .....

But I could be entirely wrong, just ask my wife!
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

There is no connection, sensor or communication with the trailer harness to any of the smart modules that can detect if a trailer has been connected or not. BRP's harness is isolated by a Hopkins isolation/converter module built into it. It is not smart so is unable to communicate a change in load. The module is powered by a dedicated 10 amp circuit directly from the fuse box on a RT, 25 amp on a F3T. So no detection of load changes there either.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

On the 15 RTL there is a 10 amp fuse for the trailer located in the Right Fuse Box number 4 position. Since there is no user selectable trailer mode, the trailer module must report over the CANBUS whether or not the trailer is attached in order for the VSS to recognize that it is there.
    The trailer module is older standard Hopkins product also used in some of their car kits. It is not not smart and is not connected to the Can bus.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

G'day guys,

I have a 2016 F3-S Triple black - with Can-Am hitch modified to fit the F3. The control/isolation module and harness that I have is the Can-Am unit. I plugged everything in but the trailer lights did not work. There is a red wire which feeds the BAT wire to the control/isolation module, but I can not measure any voltage - I tried with the ignition switch in OFF, ON and with engine running, but no power to the BAT side of the module. All signal wires into the module work when operated. All of the fuses appear to be good.... Can anyone tell me which fuse is the one that feeds the red wire into the module - there may be a bad connection somewhere?

To get things working, I built my own module using electronic opto-coupled relays to isolate the trailer wiring from the bike. I also ran a new feed wired (+ & -) from the battery to my custom module. I also installed a dedicated fuse box for the trailer wiring. My setup runs separate brake and turn signals for Australian requirements.

Can anyone tell me if the Can-am module tells the F3-S to set TRAILER MODE - and - is there a way to set trailer mode manually.

Thanks guys,

Regards,

Jim

Spyder Garage

If you have a pre-2014, you have to set the trailer mode through the settings using the handlebar controls.

If you have a 2014 or newer there is no trailer mode. The 1330 engine has more torque and BRP deemed trailer mode unnecessary.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimstapenell View Post
    G'day guys,

I have a 2016 F3-S Triple black - with Can-Am hitch modified to fit the F3. The control/isolation module and harness that I have is the Can-Am unit. I plugged everything in but the trailer lights did not work. There is a red wire which feeds the BAT wire to the control/isolation module, but I can not measure any voltage - I tried with the ignition switch in OFF, ON and with engine running, but no power to the BAT side of the module. All signal wires into the module work when operated. All of the fuses appear to be good.... Can anyone tell me which fuse is the one that feeds the red wire into the module - there may be a bad connection somewhere?

To get things working, I built my own module using electronic opto-coupled relays to isolate the trailer wiring from the bike. I also ran a new feed wired (+ & -) from the battery to my custom module. I also installed a dedicated fuse box for the trailer wiring. My setup runs separate brake and turn signals for Australian requirements.

Can anyone tell me if the Can-am module tells the F3-S to set TRAILER MODE - and - is there a way to set trailer mode manually.

Thanks guys,

Regards,

Jim
    No trailer mode.

F3 S is not design for a trailer hitch and there is no feed for trailer module power on the wiring diagram. What parts of the circuit that may be there because of shared parts with the F3 T I don't know.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default question rt622 control module

part 219400432 does this fit a 2016 RTS its the control module for the freedom trailer.
    If I buy an older trailer will the module work? wondering if the harness is different for different years..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is the correct part for the RT. I can't say for sure but I haven't heard anyone say that the Freedom trailer has a different harness. The catalog just says that this fits the RT, it doesn't specify and model year.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622