Spyder Garage

Default preparing a spyder for winter

Good evening, We are in Chicago and usually I just try to start my bikes once or twice a month and take her around a 5 mile trip I lay out and never winterize her. Any suggestions, pro/con either way? I do the same with all my small engines. I just read about fogging/wheels off the ground/take batt out and inside to stay warm and charged. I do have a batt tender. It's times like there I wish I lived in a much warmer climate. The bike is originally from Tampa so this will be here first winter. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

welcome to the Midwest. There will be a month (at least), where you will not be ryding
    5 miles, or 5 blocks. I don't necessarily go with picking the wheels up, but certainly treat
    your fuel, making sure you get the treated stuff up to the injectors, then slap it on the
    battery tender or maintainer, not a charger. Then you should be good till the next practical
    ryde time.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I prepare my Spyder for winter by putting a warmer jacket on, Mike .....sorry, couldn't help myself
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i also clean, wax, leather conditioner before i put cover on and over inflate tires with carpet on floor if it is to sit on ground.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default preparing a spyder for winter

Not in the real cold anymore. Moved to Las Vegas from Pa. But I used to treat the fuel, hook up the battery tender and not touch the bike until spring. I put cardboard under the tires on concrete. I also found the regular cover that came with the bike held moisture in and I found condensation on the bike when I took the cover off so I just used some old blankets.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-15-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i also clean, wax, leather conditioner before i put cover on and over inflate tires with carpet on floor if it is to sit on ground.
    Just curious, but how does laying the tires on carpet help?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just keep riding until they start salting the roads...
    Fill it up with fuel
    Add some StarTron
    air up the tires
    Plug in the Battery tender.

And wait for the "Dark Spell" to pass!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    welcome to the Midwest. There will be a month (at least), where you will not be ryding
    5 miles, or 5 blocks. I don't necessarily go with picking the wheels up, but certainly treat
    your fuel, making sure you get the treated stuff up to the injectors, then slap it on the
    battery tender or maintainer, not a charger. Then you should be good till the next practical
    ryde time.
    This is what I'll be doing again this season in southern WI. I would also add a few extra pounds of air to the tires as well. Oh, and I like to store it with a fresh oil/filter change too. If you choose to run it once in a while, it certainly needs to get hot enough to dry up the moisture in the exhaust.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am in the same area as you. I park it in the garage and put on the battery tender. If I have any winter plans I do my projects on the bike and sits there till spring.
    Nothing special needs to be done..Maybe a wash if you like and cover..

Spyder Garage

I fill the tank with premium, add Stabil, put it on a battery tender and let it sleep from usually November-March. It usually starts on the very first try.

A very respected member has suggested not to go for small jaunts to re-charge the battery. Unless you drive for a half hour or longer, the engine does not get properly up to temperature. That can do more harm than good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Denise and I are preping our spyder for winter too. We added light sweaters and jackets to the back box. May move from fingerless gloves to full gloves in January. With the shorter days coming need to polish up the foglights.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I lived in Northern British Columbia, the temperature would often drop to 30 below F. and winter usually started the middle of October until the first half of May. I would change the oil and filter, fill the tank and stabilize the fuel, park my M/C in my unheated shed, hook up the battery tender/maintainer and walk away, locking the door until spring. The shed had a wooden floor, so I did not do anything special with the wheels/tires. The hardest part is NOT starting it during the dormant period. Leave it alone. Then come spring, the bike would turn over and start just fine, however make sure to check pressures and volumes before your first ride. Doing this my bike was ALWAYS ready to ride, with no over winter issues.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Midwest bike's we have 8 bike's, all get oil and filter change, stabile in gas ( no alcohol ) and battery tender hooked up. Never had one not start in the spring. Thing I don't like about winter ride's is road salt on the bike. I have seen too many parts get corroded from it, chrome and polished aluminium don't like salt. Jim

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I hope to ride a little before putting her away. Thanks again, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder prep for winter

I fill up gas tank/stabilize fuel,

put it on a tender/maintainer ,

change oil/filter,

cover it with a full cover,

set tire pressures,

check condition of battery.

Also, in the spring have it inspected, test battery, Wash, set tire pressures.

*** wait for spring to get here so I can *** and hope the winter is short.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 10-16-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Change your oil coz old oil got all that dirt and contaminants and can corrode the working surface.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Ryder View Post
    Just curious, but how does laying the tires on carpet help?

Keeps moisture away from the bottom of the trike. A sheet of plastic or cardboard will do the same thing.
    The one year I didn't put something down underneath my Harley, come spring I found pits in the chrome. Also, once I put it away for the winter I didn't start it til spring. I don't think you can get it warm enough to evaporate all the water out of the crankcase so I just leave it (with battery tender on of course). I'm from the Chicago area, too.

Just my .02

Bill

Spyder Garage

Sounds good Bill. Perhaps a small heater and or dehumidifier would help too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    Keeps moisture away from the bottom of the trike. A sheet of plastic or cardboard will do the same thing.
    I park mine on a couple of pieces of old carpet remnants... It can't hurt, and it takes less than a minute to lay them out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Do as Cruzr Joe does. Buy a nice Persian Rug to park your Spyder on in a nice climate controlled garage.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Where to hook up the battery tender

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    (snip), then slap it on the
    ryde time.
    New to hooking battery tender to my 2010 RT. Can I hook the tender to the terminals under the seat or do I need to attach directly to the battery terminals? Please let it be the under-the-seat terminals.... I read the manual about how to get to the battery...
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good evening, We are in Chicago and usually I just try to start my bikes once or twice a month and take her around a 5 mile trip I lay out and never winterize her. Any suggestions, pro/con either way? I do the same with all my small engines. I just read about fogging/wheels off the ground/take batt out and inside to stay warm and charged. I do have a batt tender. It's times like there I wish I lived in a much warmer climate. The bike is originally from Tampa so this will be here first winter. Thanks, Mike
    If you plan to ride it a few times during the winter, I think your plan sounds OK. That's what I do, plus I keep it on a Battery Tender over the winter months. Just one word of caution... Don't start the engine unless you do plan to ride it about 5 miles or so. The reason... water is a natural byproduct of internal combustion engines, and unless you get the engine up to full operating temperature for a while, the water won't entirely evaporate and can corrode internal engine parts.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I do have a 5 mile course I ride in the winter in addition to letting her warm up 1st. I only go out if the road are clear and clean. I just hate not to ride all winter. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

5 miles is not enough to burn the moisture out of the engine. You are better off not to start it at all. Also, you would probably be better off covering the bike with a blanket or sheet if you feel the need to cover it at all. A little dust will not hurt anything. Moisture captured by a cover could.