Spyder Garage

Default Anyone using Lucas semi synthenic oil?

It reads for wet clutches but carries a API SM rating. Also carries all the good rating JASO MA2 . Would you use this in the 990 engines? This is a 10/40 wt
    David

Spyder Garage

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe you might want to steer clear of anything with SM rating.

According to both the owner's and maintenance manuals, SM is a no-no.

Still, if we knew what additives were actually in the stuff, we would know better. Type SM oils tend to contain molybdenum which kills the clutch over time...too much slippage. I have done some reading and people swear by this particular Lucas product though.

I'm normally a Valvoline user myself...figured I'd go with something I can recognize and is easily available.

Also, has anyone noticed the stock BRP kits now include full synthetic? Neighbor picked up a kit for his 2011 RT the other week; box stated Synth Blend, but open the box and the full synth was in it!
    Last edited by paraflyer1966; 10-14-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think out of the BOX constantly ....... However since there are quite a few really good Full Syn oils ( like Valvoline 4 T stroke @ $ 6.50 per Qt. @ Walmart ) why would you want to be the genea pig (?) for some odd OIL ????? ..... ................ and as paraflyer1966 pointed out it's " SM " rated , so how they say it's good for WET clutches I don't get ??????............... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

The 2013 RT owner's manual specifically says, "To avoid damaging the clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur."
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think out of the BOX constantly ....... However since there are quite a few really good Full Syn oils ( like Valvoline 4 T stroke @ $ 6.50 per Qt. @ Walmart ) why would you want to be the genea pig (?) for some odd OIL ????? ..... ................ and as paraflyer1966 pointed out it's " SM " rated , so how they say it's good for WET clutches I don't get ??????............... Mike
    It isn't me but a friend of mine. I'm using amsoil right now and plan to switch to Valvoline

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    It isn't me but a friend of mine. I'm using amsoil right now and plan to switch to Valvoline

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I wasn't ACCUSING ..... I said YOU because you were the poster ....... if you had said it was your buddy ..... well you get the picture ......... I personally use the Valvoline for a lot of reasons - #1. because it has the second lowest amount of Moly in it ........ Moly is Bad for Wet clutches ......#2. it's the cheapest Full Syn by quite a bit and Jaso 2 rated ....... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used the Can am oil change kit which include the filter. No worry on my part.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I wasn't ACCUSING ..... I said YOU because you were the poster ....... if you had said it was your buddy .....well you get the picture ......... I personally use the Valvoline for a lot of reasons #1. because it has the second lowest amount of Moly in it ........Moly is Bad for Wet clutches ......#2. it's the cheapest Full Syn by quite a bit and Jaso 2 rated ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ahhhh.... The GTO of the Spyder world.... Gas/mpg, Tires, and oil.... I still say stick to what the manufacturer recommends on spec's. Remember your oil works double duty on motorcycles with clutches. There are many oils out there that will work but don't meet the spec's .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

SM identifies that there are friction modifiers added. JASO M2 indicates a very low coefficient for clutch slippage. These 2 components are going opposite directions. But it may be possible to find an SM oil that will work in the 998 without causing clutch slippage issues. POSSIBLE, but UNLIKELY! Because you would have to test each SM rated oil, BRP just threw out the SM blanket statement.

Even if you did find a compatible SM rated oil, it is probably going to give you warranty issues if you ever did have a clutch related failure. Though most fretting over warranties is unwarranted (love that line!), there are things that you want to pay attention to in this area.

So, though the fact is there may be an SM rated oil out there that will work in the 998. It just isn't worth all the downsides trying to find it. Especially where there are so many tried and true oils that meet the BRP specs. to choose from.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-15-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Angry

Is it OK to use Lucas Oil?

20231125_182505.jpg

Specifications include 100% synthetic oil
    API SM/SL/SH
    JASO-MA2
    ACEA A3

Our country has four seasons. The average temperature in spring is 20 degrees, the average temperature in summer is 35 degrees, the average temperature in fall is 10 degrees, and the average temperature in winter is 0 degrees.

Is it okay to use the brand oil called Lucas 10w40?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

I believe its not really the brand but the properties of the oil that are critical.

That oil seems to me to have all the requirements, API SM/SL/SH, JASO-MA2, ACEA A3.

I would wait for an oil expert to come online and confirm, but it looks good to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I believe its not really the brand but the properties of the oil that are critical.

That oil seems to me to have all the requirements, API SM/SL/SH, JASO-MA2, ACEA A3.

I would wait for an oil expert to come online and confirm, but it looks good to me.
    I'm glad that all the requirements are included! thank you

Spyder Garage

If you got a handbook, that will mention the oil requirements / properties - or better.

Something like this.

oil spec.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 11-26-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

One word: Yes

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I changed oil in my Spyder a couple of of months ago with the same oil, and no apparent issues. I looked at the specs, and it met the criteria.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter