Spyder Garage

Default New Southern MN Newbie

Greetings all from David, here in Faribault, MN

Wife Sharon has given me the go ahead to actively shop for a Used or New Spyder after having a test ride on a buddie's F3, (nice but we want a full dress touring) and tonight we test rode a 2012 RT Limited( only 4k miles, but front pegs vs floorboards, more to follow about that).

I've got a couple new leads today from the MN Spyderlovers Facebook folks, and will be checking some out in Pine City, Mora (Caswell's), and will be looking a couple different one's tomorrow and Saturday.

I'd like some input from the MN chapter, I'm 6ft tall, a portly 250lbs, and my 20 min test ride on the 2012 RT left me feeling a little scrunched with feet on stock pegs. Will stock floorboards feel that much different? I've seen some of the amazing alternate aftermarket floorboards that also included a highway peg type foot rest. Anyone have any suggestions.

And would love to meet up soon with anyone local in the Faribault, Northfield, Owatonna corridor.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 10-30-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

We will take potencial.... Welcome, shopping is half the fun. Hope you find the one soon and know you can modify and adjust...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome David!
    You might also want to check Bessers Bike Barn in St. Cloud. (320)252-3373 ask for Blake. Great pricing and good people!
    Caswells is great too!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Welcome David to our MN Spyderlovers riders. We had a 2012 RT and it was very dependable. We now have a 2014 RT. From 2014 and newer, the RT's have a triple 1330cc engine and a 6 speed trans vs the twin cylinder engine with the 2012 RT and a 5 speed transmission. IF your budget allows, you should try both of these powertrain RT's so that you can decide what you like. Some like the twin, some like the triple engine. We're older (in our 60's) and prefer the lower RPM's and quieter powertrain on our 2014 RT over the 2012 RT.

Good luck with your choice and good hunting for the best deal.....

Any questions, just PM me.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 11-10-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

They got you covered above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Potential achieved!

Well, it's official, I rode my '13 RTL SE5 home last night after a tour of western suburbs of Minneapolis to St. Boni Motorsports back to S.L.P., back home to Faribault. St. Boni Motorsports cut and programmed a 2nd key for my Spyder And I've put about 75 fresh miles on it.

Got a '13 RTL with 9K miles, dealer mechanic gave me a nice detailed intro to checking / filling fluids, and demonstrated knock away mirrors and replacing etc. Checked tires, pressures, and good all around intro to the bike.

Thanks to the folks at Minneapolis Motorsports and St. Boni Motosports, now off to my acclimation rides!!!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Congrats David!
    Ride as much as you can and you'll quickly become comfortable and love it.
    The last MN Spyderlovers ride for the season is this Sat. Leaves from Caswells in Mora at 10:00am. Meet there early to meet people.
    Pot Luck dinner after.
    2020 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new ride. The information on this forum has been very helpful for me. I purchased my 2012 SE5-RT from Caswells new. I couldn't have been more happy working with Jamie and Les. Mpls Motorsports wasn't around then, but I have had service there and Jeff is wonderful! They are closer to me than Mora.

I am sure it has been mentioned, but read the Do's and Don'ts on the forum page under general discussions. It could potentially save you some frustration as it has for me.

Enjoy sir! I love my RT and am now trying to get hubby on a F3.

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

BabyBlue, thanks, I've been reading the forums even before I joined, have a couple of friends here in Faribault with Spyders, and have been through that whole Do's and don'ts and dozens of other threads preparing for this purchase.

My wife has patiently stuck with me through many whims in the past, and I think this Spyder will just be my "gateway" purchase to a future F3 Limited. I'm comfortable enough on the RT Limited, but know that would improve with a 2017 or '18 F3 Limited I see in my future <G>.

The '13 RT Limited is the Safest she's ever felt riding with me in just the past week of test rides and out on ours.

Hopefully we'll see each other on some of the MN SL group rides!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Greetings all from David, here in Faribault, MN

Wife Sharon has given me the go ahead to actively shop for a Used or New Spyder after having a test ride on a buddie's F3, (nice but we want a full dress touring) and tonight we test rode a 2012 RT Limited( only 4k miles, but front pegs vs floorboards, more to follow about that).

I've got a couple new leads today from the MN Spyderlovers Facebook folks, and will be checking some out in Pine City, Mora (Caswell's), and will be looking a couple different one's tomorrow and Saturday.

I'd like some input from the MN chapter, I'm 6ft tall, a portly 250lbs, and my 20 min test ride on the 2012 RT left me feeling a little scrunched with feet on stock pegs. Will stock floorboards feel that much different? I've seen some of the amazing alternate aftermarket floorboards that also included a highway peg type foot rest. Anyone have any suggestions.

And would love to meet up soon with anyone local in the Faribault, Northfield, Owatonna corridor.
    I just bought a new one from Ollie's in Alexandria mn today. Great deal. Nice to work with. Excellent service, locally owned by the anderson's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post

The last MN Spyderlovers ride for the season is this Sat. Leaves from Caswells in Mora at 10:00am. Meet there early to meet people.
    Pot Luck dinner after.
    from Paula's post

October 22: Brunch Color Run and Pot Luck - Leaving at 9am

from Paula's post

T.P.

Spyder Garage

BabyBlue, thanks, I've been reading the forums even before I joined, have a couple of friends here in Faribault with Spyders, and have been through that whole Do's and don'ts and dozens of other threads preparing for this purchase.

My wife has patiently stuck with me through many whims in the past, and I think this Spyder will just be my "gateway" purchase to a future F3 Limited. I'm comfortable enough on the RT Limited, but know that would improve with a 2017 or '18 F3 Limited I see in my future <G>.

The '13 RT Limited is the Safest she's ever felt riding with me in just the past week of test rides and out on ours.

Hopefully we'll see each other on some of the MN SL group rides!
    LOL. Reading the forum got me home after I purchased my RT. Felt like I had been riding a Can Am all my life. Knew my shift points and every thing. 90 miles and never a hitch.

I am glad to hear your wife feels safer. That is one of the reasons I wanted my own ride. I didn't get my license until I was 56, then had an accident with my Yamaha. Newby mistakes. I had followed Spyders since 2009 but at the time the Yamaha was cheaper. I was finally able to purchase mine in 2012. Now I love riding with my hubby instead of behind him. Now I just have to talk him into getting a F3 for him and get rid of his Harley.

Enjoy!!!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    from Paula's post

October 22: Brunch Color Run and Pot Luck - Leaving at 9am

from Paula's post

T.P.
    Paula's last email, 10/15/2016 10:03 AM:

Hello Everyone --

Our last "scheduled" ride of the season is fastapproaching. Saturday, October 22, we will meet at Caswell Cycle at 9am to signin, draw your final poker hand card, and do some visiting and shopping beforethe ride. We will leave at 10am on a route that Les is working on dependingupon where the fall colors are peaking. We will have a light lunch beforeheading back to the Caswell Homestead for our annual Pot Luck Dinner.
    So please bring along a dish to share (they will have powerstrips to plug into and a fridge in the car shed) we will eat first and thenhave our announcement of the poker hand winner and the scavenger hunt winnertoo. Speaking of that I have not received any photos from the participants soright now I'm it with 3 State Parks!!!! You can email them to me or share themon our facebook page - Minnesota SpyderLovers
    Looking forward to see you all next Saturday!

Paula Anderson
    Last edited by Michaelscs; 10-19-2016 at 05:19 PM.
    2020 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

Good to see the RT, and you do look happy on it. I am glad that St Boni treated you well.
    Last Friday I had a sit down discussion with Jason Bryant (Assistant General Manager) about my issues with them. He came across as truely caring about improving the customer expereance.

I have enjoyed our emails and look forward to meeting you and your wife in person.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhhh Sucess

For the first time in 27+ years, my wife enjoyed a ride for the whole day!
    We did our first solo couple ride on our (new to us) 2013 Spyder RT Limited, From Faribault to Wabasha (for lunch) down to Winona and back thru Rochester (a shopping trip to Costco) on our way home.

Sharon said she was so comfortable she could have nodded off.

We stopped at our traditional spot above Wabasha on Highway 60 for a new vehicle photo shoot. Here's one shot

Love the twisties on 60!
    Only a tank and a half, but vittles picked up and brought home and a HAPPY Bride from the ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

For the first time in 27+ years, my wife enjoyed a ride for the whole day!
    We did our first solo couple ride on our (new to us) 2013 Spyder RT Limited, From Faribault to Wabasha (for lunch) down to Winona and back thru Rochester (a shopping trip to Costco) on our way home.

Sharon said she was so comfortable she could have nodded off.

We stopped at our traditional spot above Wabasha on Highway 60 for a new vehicle photo shoot. Here's one shot

Love the twisties on 60!
    Only a tank and a half, but vittles picked up and brought home and a HAPPY Bride from the ride.
    Congrats Dave on a very successful first ride, and I love Hwy 60 and look forward to when MIN dot opens it all the way!

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Black Spyder with graphics package, drivers helmet black with Black Mohawk

Black Spyder with graphics package, drivers helmet black with Black Mohawk

Saw it today, 30 Oct 2016, passing through Faribault on Highway 3 about 10AM, Anyone know who this ryder was?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Black Spyder with graphics package, drivers helmet black with Black Mohawk

Saw it today, 30 Oct 2016, passing through Faribault on Highway 3 about 10AM, Anyone know who this ryder was?
    Dave,

That would be Chuck aka BeardedDBA.

Les

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Les, is he a southern MN Ryder?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks Les, is he a southern MN Ryder?
    He lives around Rosemount.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Dave, and on your new spyder. Glad you could join us, we are here to help, ask questions.

Let the smiles, miles, farkling begin! BE sure to check the venders on the "Homepage" on this site, for ideas. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue