Spyder Garage

Default F3 Impressions after 1,900 miles....

My impressions after 1,900 miles on my new F3.
    My background:
    2008 Spyder GS - put 80,000 miles on it. Had Elka shocks, sway bar, tons of mods.
    2012 Spyder RT - put 24,000 miles on it. Had Elka shocks, sway bar, tons of mods.

I had one week to get this F3 ready to go to Maggie Valley and only put 100 miles of testing on it before hitting the road.

I outfitted the F3 before leaving with:
    F4 tinted shield - 28". I'm 5'8".
    MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler
    Lamonster/Ultimate backrest.
    Givi V35 sidecases using custom mounts made by site sponsor MBL innovations.
    Cruise control.
    Heated grips.
    Various ram mounts, wired iPhone and Garmin.
    Short reach bars.
    2-up rear shock.

The first thing I noticed is the smoothness and power of the ACE 1330. Wow.. what a great engine. All the power you need for any circumstance. The power band is great in each gear and you'd be hard pressed to ever lug this thing. Being able to slow down in gears 4,5,6 without downshifting is great. Passing power is great. Thrilled with this powerplant.

I did notice the clutch is noticeably harder to pull, but now see there's an assist kit to make it more like the RT.

Forward leg position took a bit of getting used to, as did mounting and dismounting the bike, but overall the position felt great. It was set at 3 - the factory default. I felt I had to lift my leg a bit to get to the brake and the same on downshifting. I didn't adjust either of those pedals but I see where it can be done. My knees hurt quite a bit, but the used to on the RT as well. I'm going to switch to the #4 position and see how that feels.

The short reach bars made the steering way easy and helped me maintain a more upright riding position from the waste up which felt really good. When I rode with the original bars I felt pain in my shoulders due to leaning and hunching forward.

The seat is horrible as expected. Far too soft for long rides, got used to it but will be replacing this winter for sure... most likely with a Corbin like I had on the other Spyders.

Adding the beefed up rear shock helped a lot. Never bottomed out even with the V35's fully loaded. The front shocks felt mushy and need to be firmed up, but BRP didn't bother to put adjustment tools in the tool kit. ugh.

Handling was good but will be better with proper shock adjustments I'm sure. Took one time on the Dragon to figure it out as it's far different than the GS or RT. Didn't (couldn't) lean off the bike like you had to on the GS/RT models.

The nanny is MUCH more relaxed and not as noticeable when it does kick in.

The F4 shield works great up to about 65-70 mph.. then you become a bobblehead. This is why I added the MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler. Adding that made things smooth as could be and I ran 85 much of the time on the highway.

Rode in the rain a bit, did the 209 rattler up to Hotsprings in the rain and the F3 performed fantastic.

Storage was great with the V35's. Used an old rear seat bag to make up for the lack of a rear trunk.

Gas mileage was better than GS or RT but dropped considerably when going 85 as would be expected. These always get worse MPG on the highway due to wind resistance.

The extended range with the better MPG and larger gas tank was GREAT. Every day when we left for a ride from Maggie Valley we didn't have to worry about gassing up along the way. We were able to do 175-200 mile rides with ease and no concerns of running out of gas. It was great not to have that worry. On the highway running 85 mph I could only get around 175 on a tank before all bars were gone and I felt I better gas up.

I found the F3 fantastic and easy to work on.. so much easier to get to things... I love it.

So thus far I'm thrilled with my transition to an F3. I'll be adjusting or replacing the front shocks, replacing the seat, adding foglights, marker lights, additional wiring for some more gadgets, coating the panels for scratch protection, maybe floorboards, upgrading the clutch with the assist kit and some other things.

I was really worried when I first started riding this that I had made a mistake as I had my RT really tuned in and riding great.. but those worries are gone now and I'm really excited to ride and work on my Spyder again.. something I had lost with the RT as it just felt more like a Griswold stationwagon.

So there's my .02 (plus a few more) on transitioning from a GS to an RT to an F3....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That was a great review and quite well written, oh great Farkle Master!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

do you have a picture of the saddle bags and the racks. Im looking for a good setup. I looked on the site for the custom made racks but I dont see them on there..
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Great review!
    To God Be The Glory!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.. something I had lost with the RT as it just felt more like a Griswold stationwagon.

I know we all have our own opinions, but after spending a lot of time on both models this is the only sentence I couldn't agree with (recognizing that the F 3 is a bit quicker and more responsive). All the rest was a great write up.
    Best of luck with the new Spyder.
    (Can you tell which model I'm leaning towards ?)
    Last edited by Saluda; 10-13-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    .. something I had lost with the RT as it just felt more like a Griswold stationwagon.

I know we all have our own opinions, but after spending a lot of time on both models this is the only sentence I couldn't agree with (recognizing that the F 3 is a bit quicker and more responsive). All the rest was a great write up.
    Best of luck with the new Spyder.
    (Can you tell which model I'm leaning towards ?)
    I meant no offense towards RT owners, and if mine had been a 2014 or newer with the 1330 engine I would have most likely kept it.
    My personal preference is for the sleeker F3 style... many will prefer the RT... which is still a major (if not best) seller for BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    do you have a picture of the saddle bags and the racks. Im looking for a good setup. I looked on the site for the custom made racks but I dont see them on there..
    Maurice of MBL is still working on producing the brackets in larger quantities before listing them on the site. His kit involves taking stock GIVI brackets and modifying them. I believe he does has a few sets available. I'd give him a call. IMG_5368.JPGIMG_5367.JPGIMG_5369.JPGIMG_5372.JPGIMG_5371.JPG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Firefly,

No problem at all. That's why they make the different models. To tell the truth it was a very close call, the wife voted for the RT for all the comforts.
    Coming from a STS I had started to lean towards the F 3 but had to take all things into consideration.
    Have a good one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you will love the floorboards on the F3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    you will love the floorboards on the F3.
    Where does one obtain floorboards for a SM6 F3? I thought we were limited to pegs with the manual shift?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Where does one obtain floorboards for a SM6 F3? I thought we were limited to pegs with the manual shift?
    You can get the BRP Footboards. Here's the link: http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/..._Carbon_Black#

They come with a shorter shifter to match the reach you had with pegs.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Thanks for a very thorough review of your new bike!

But tell me something:
    How many rides did it take; before you said...

Ned.jpg

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Maurice of MBL is still working on producing the brackets in larger quantities before listing them on the site. His kit involves taking stock GIVI brackets and modifying them. I believe he does has a few sets available. I'd give him a call. IMG_5368.JPGIMG_5367.JPGIMG_5369.JPGIMG_5372.JPGIMG_5371.JPG

awesome thanks

ill be looking in to this

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Great review. I think you covered all the bases.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

While BRP makes floorboards for all the F3 models, I'd consider the ones Lamont makes. He calls them his RIP boards and they allow plenty of different positions. Work fine for both SM and SE.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Firefly,

No problem at all. That's why they make the different models. To tell the truth it was a very close call, the wife voted for the RT for all the comforts.
    Coming from a STS I had started to lean towards the F 3 but had to take all things into consideration.
    Have a good one.
    If I was going to be doing two up riding I would for sure have an RT. Never liked two up on my GS and won't really do it on the F3.
    GF doesn't ride and I only occasionally take the kids out.. so this bike ride as bought with ME in mind. :-).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If I was going to be doing two up riding I would for sure have an RT. Never liked two up on my GS and won't really do it on the F3.
    GF doesn't ride and I only occasionally take the kids out.. so this bike ride as bought with ME in mind. :-).

I bought mine also with ME in mind but my daughter thinks I owe her a ride whenever she visits.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I still have my 2012 RT sm5 and the 2015 F3 Sm6 AND I love the sm5 on the 2012 Better than the sm6 on the F3-Thats why I keep both!
    Something about the Long gears in the sm5 that is Great for pushing it to 7,000 in 2nd gear as you hit 60Mph?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    You can get the BRP Footboards. Here's the link: http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/..._Carbon_Black#

They come with a shorter shifter to match the reach you had with pegs.
    Thnanks again Mike. I found some almost brand-new BRP floorboards on fleabay at a great price and they are going to be coming my way. The part number does not show that a shorter shifter comes with the ensemble. I am not sure how to handle that or if a shorter shifter is needed?

Spyder Garage

Thnanks again Mike. I found some almost brand-new BRP floorboards on fleabay at a great price and they are going to be coming my way. The part number does not show that a shorter shifter comes with the ensemble. I am not sure how to handle that or if a shorter shifter is needed?
    If you check out the instructions in this link it shows the shorter shifter included. It came with mine.
    http://instructions.brp.com/content/...0529,219400572
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue