Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up After advice on pulling a trailer?

ADVICE:
    I have a 2014 Can-Am RT Limited, I'm thinking a buying a "mypod max" motor cycle camper trailer. The camper weight is 580# with a tongue weight of 90#. I believe the cycle will pull the weight with no problem, but does anyone see any problems with this set up?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Title clarification & spaces/layout

Spyder Garage

I see a lot of problems!
    Tongue weight 40lbs. Not really sure but tow weight about 450 or so your way out of specs!

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't . The Spyder hitch is poorly designed and isn't designed for that much weight.

Spyder Garage

Look at this ad. It may be what you're looking for.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...e-Tent-Trailer
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Omg !!!!

People here worry that using 10/40 oil instead of 5/40 oil is going to VOID THE WARRANTY and you want to do WHAT ?????? .... Honestly, re-think this ..... 90 lbs is more than DOUBLE, and 580 lbs. is EMPTY. If you can't figure out what's wrong with this picture any in depth explanation I give would be Futile ...... Best of Luck .......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2022 at 04:41 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Russell, forget about getting that trailer it is way too heavy. Contact PrairieSpyder is selling her Leisure Lite camping trailer and that is a lot closer to the weight requirements of the Spyder. (I see now that the earlier link is to this trailer)

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default pulling a trailer

Russel, I have over 50K miles of pulling different trailers with my RT , my tent trailer with all our gear in it is about 450 lbs and I have pulled it in ALL kind of conditions including snow I would think that what you are looking at is way over the boundary of safe. I I had to do it over and we still might is go for the Lesurelite , it sets up fast and is light.
    i phone photos 003.jpg i phone photos 004.jpg i phone photos 030.jpg i phone photos 016.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Russel, I have over 50K miles of pulling different trailers with my RT , my tent trailer with all our gear in it is about 450 lbs and I have pulled it in ALL kind of conditions including snow I would think that what you are looking at is way over the boundary of safe. I I had to do it over and we still might is go for the Lesurelite , it sets up fast and is light.
    i phone photos 003.jpg i phone photos 004.jpg i phone photos 030.jpg i phone photos 016.jpg
    I pulled a lees-urlite for many seasons with my Goldwing, and it was a dream to pull,and yes.....it does set up very quickly.....less than a minute.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

First of all, never never never ever ever ever believe any weight specifications from any RV manufacturer. Never ever.

For an example, we were looking at an Aliner Alite which was listed as 400 lbs. and was supposed to have a tongue weight of 40 lbs. It actually weighed 560 lbs. with a tongue weight of 90 lbs. This trailer was completely empty and had no options on it. I have seen other RV's like that so if you are going to buy a "lightweight" trailer to pull behind your Spyder make them weigh it in front of you before you pay them! No kidding!
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I went with the Can Am Accessories hitch, much stronger than the BRP hitch.
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...trailer-hitch/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't give you any Spyder-related advice about towing, except for quoting what's in the manuals.

However, I have been towing various trailers with two-wheeled motorcycles since 1978 and I'm still around to talk about it. Some of what I have learned can be applied to Spyders.

One thing that has positively amazed me about Spyders is that it is the first motorcycle I have seen that not only allows towing, but Can-Am actually makes a trailer for it.

Another of the things that amazes me is the fact that the trailer hitch attaches to the swingarm. I have known owners that have drilled the axle to reduce unsprung weight. I can not imagine intentionally adding up to 40 pounds, let alone what happens to stuff in the front of the trailer (or in a cooler on the tongue) when it is subjected to every single bump that the rear wheel hits.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of towing a trailer, I'm just going to remind you to DO IT CAREFULLY.

Spyder Garage

this post is 5 years old.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    this post is 5 years old.
    Actually only 3 1/2 years old! Sorry, couldn't resist!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

But the information is still relevant.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    I went with the Can Am Accessories hitch, much stronger than the BRP hitch.
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...trailer-hitch/
    Might consider rethinking the claim about stronger. The non gusseted hitch ball area might be an area of concern. Also, box tube construction builds light structures with minimal flex vs solid plate construction.