Spyder Garage

Default Looking for a 12V "switched" lead

I have a lead in the back (RTS) but looking for one in the front (gps, dash-cam stuff) I have the lead in the fronk, but its always on.
    So, where is the best place to steal one from, for the front - again, switched ??

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    I have a lead in the back (RTS) but looking for one in the front (gps, dash-cam stuff) I have the lead in the fronk, but its always on.
    So, where is the best place to steal one from, for the front - again, switched ??
    If you haven't already a good place to start is to get a copy of the Spyder service manual. It'll have a wiring diagram in it. A good place to get one is canammanuals.com.

Whatever you tap into will depend a lot on what kind of load you plan to attach. There are several that can handle a few LEDs added, but not many that will work for something like heated apparel. Another consideration is ease of access vs the length of the run. So tell us more about what you want to accomplish. An add-on fuse box pulling its supply from the battery and a trigger voltage from a switched wire is an option. A lot depends on how handy you are and your comfort level with working on wiring.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default FZ-1

I used a FZ-1 fuse block for my accessories on my RT. It has hookups that are switchable by moving a fuse from power on key on or power on all the time. Worked great.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt fuse box fz-1

OK I'm abou to order a fuse box forf the RT. But, where in the front, do I find a switched wire, to hook into. (elect. Chalanged)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    OK I'm abou to order a fuse box forf the RT. But, where in the front, do I find a switched wire, to hook into. (elect. Chalanged)
    One that you might be able to find without too much trouble, I think, is an Orange with red stripe wire on the left side of the front trunk. It goes to the LED light in the trunk. I don't recall right off hand just where it is exactly, but it is on the left side. I think any orange with red stripe wire you find will work. They are all switched.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder RT is 2013 or later you can tap into the front trunk 12V outlet circuit. It is located behind the front trunk even if you do not have the optional outlet installed. You can choose to have it switched or not by moving the fuse.

You could use the running lights circuit as a trigger for a relay. It can be accessed behind the optional accessory temp and fuel gauge. Also can be accessed from the switch panel. If you have an unused switch slot. You could plug in a spade connector into the unused switch connector.

2018 F3 LIMITED