Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Lane Splitting with a Spyder?????? You Wish!!!!

There's no way on earth I'd ever try "lane sharing" here in California or any other state (including Texas).....it's just not an option. Even the two-wheelers take their own lives in their hands doing it! It just doesn't make sense as there's no place here that I'd want to get to earlier than I had planned. Commute traffic (going and coming) is a killah! Nah! I'll just take my time on my '08 RT and just take the smoove ride home or wherevah!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do seem a bit broad across the shoulders for that sort of thing; don't they...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't try to split lanes, but I was kind of wishing I could while I was stuck on the 5 yesterday. I have been using the HOV lanes since I got here last week, and have been around a few police, never had anyone even give me a second glance.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

I use the HOV lanes up and down the San Francisco peninsula and never have any problems. I have numerous friends in law enforcement and all agree that they would not pull over a Spyder for using the HOV lane since it is considered a "motorcycle". On a different subject they are about evenly split on weather they would pull me over for my Glo-riders. The code is a bit fuzzy!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I took my sons Busa out for a ride, Now that's a bike made for lane splitting,
    But i would never lane splt with any other bike i own,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doing a litle splitting at the "double-ton", Bob???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hjazzyherm View Post
    There's no way on earth I'd ever try "lane sharing" here in California or any other state (including Texas).....it's just not an option. Even the two-wheelers take their own lives in their hands doing it! It just doesn't make sense as there's no place here that I'd want to get to earlier than I had planned. Commute traffic (going and coming) is a killah! Nah! I'll just take my time on my '08 RT and just take the smoove ride home or wherevah!
    I lived in L.A. for a while, had no idea what lane splitting was until I kept finding motorcycles passing by my car door while I was stuck in traffic. I was PLENTY peeved before I knew that was legal.

I remained plenty peeved until I learned WHY lane splitting is done: it's most emphatically NOT to "beat" traffic, it's to avoid traffic. You put lots of cars in close proximity to each other, the risk of fender benders and accidents increase. Stick a vulnerable motorcycle into those tight jams, and it gets risky in a hurry.

Of course, lane splitting only works when it's legal-- *car* drivers need to know that bikes can do it, and drive accordingly. Otherwise, I agree, it's a recipe for disaster.

But since I learned the reasons why, it makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think every state could, or even should, implement it, but California seems to do just fine with it.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

"Since you do not need a motorcycle license to operate it, the Can-am classes as a normal vehicle"

I have never heard that the Can-Am classes as a normal vehicle and does not need a motorcycle license to operate. I do not know about your state, but if you come to MO please make sure you have a motorcycle license because it is required in most states that I ride in

SpyderLady

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    "Since you do not need a motorcycle license to operate it, the Can-am classes as a normal vehicle"

I have never heard that the Can-Am classes as a normal vehicle and does not need a motorcycle license to operate. I do not know about your state, but if you come to MO please make sure you have a motorcycle license because it is required in most states that I ride in

If a motorcycle license is not required in your home state, And as long as the Spyder is registered in that state and the driver of the Spyder has a drivers
    licence from that state you are legal in all states.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 wheeler in carpool lane

My question would be how does the DMV register the Spyder as a motorcycle or? If a motorcycle then it is legal to ride in the carpool lane.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allmag View Post
    My question would be how does the DMV register the Spyder as a motorcycle or? If a motorcycle then it is legal to ride in the carpool lane.
    Post this question in the California Thread, I'm sure someone who has a Spyder in California will know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post

California is a weird beast. You can "drive" the Spyder with a car license, but pretty much everything else in the law requires consideration as a motorcycle.

There's license reciprocity across state lines. I'm not 100%, but I think *all* states recognize each others' licenses in that regard (although, only for riding through-- if a California Spyder rider moved to Virginia for example, they'd need to get their M license to ride the Spyder here even if they've been riding their Spyder for years under their auto license).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!