Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Adding Coolant to my RT

I was working on my Spyder and decided to check the coolant level, well it I could not see the level when the motor was hot so figured the coolant level was to low. I got the proper coolant at a Can AM dealer and got a funnel with hose, waited till the AM when the motor was cool.
    I still could not see any fluid level ( I was shining a flash light at the outside of the reservoir). I kept adding coolant and looking at the level and behold I had put way too much in. I kept trying to figure out how I was going to get all the extra fluid out.

I thought about a Turkey Baster with a hose and do it that way, instead I took the funnel with the hose, put it into the reservoir and got my canister vacuum and put the vacuum hose to the end of the funnel and WALLA sucks the fluid right out . Of course I had to take apart the vacuum cleaner and dispose of the coolant and clean it.
    I had to put come coolant back in.

Oh by the way to see the coolant level take a flash light and shine it into the reservoir tank, you can clearly see the fluid against the wall of the reservoir. I found that out at the very end of my efforts.

Oh and I just saw this which would have worked better than the vacuum cleaner.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU0MMU...d90d3b8a1f1b_S
    The level is still a little too high but the over flow will take care of that when the bike gets up to temp.
    Last edited by oldrider60; 10-09-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am like you, I checked my coolant level yesterday morning and could not tell how full it was. Has anyone added food coloring to their coolant to make it easier to see? I was checking mine because I found a small puddle on the mat under my Spyder. I had to have the coolant pump replaced this Spring because it was leaking.