Thread: Mufflers/cats

Spyder Garage

Default Mufflers/cats

Has anyone ran a GPR muffler with cat. on? Have2015RT S SE6 and like listening to music when riding, but would like a little louder exhaust. Want to leave cat ON for warranty reasons. GPR is Italian made, straightforward swap, street legal system,, all in kit. Would like to know how loud they are with cat or without. Thanks all for replies!! Niterider
    2015 RTS , Stock Black Rubber Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default How CAT removal effects the warranty

There's a lot of misunderstanding about how the CAT removal effects your warranty. For the record, BRP will not void your warranty if you replace the CAT with the bypass pipe. However, they do reserve the right to deny a particular claim that they consider was caused as a result of your having done that. The vast majority of warranty claims would not be effected, and I've never seen any reports of that happening. But there is some minimal warranty risk involved, depending on the nature of the claim.

My own personal experience is that I had the CAT on my 2013 RT removed in 2014 due to excessive engine compartment heat - especially under the fuel tank. BRP is aware of that and has never denied any warranty claim. I have a 4-year warranty. As a courtesy, BRP did remind me of their right to deny a related claim when I recently applied to extend my B.E.S.T warranty for an additional year. (You can buy up to 5 years of coverage.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-07-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

If you are just after a little 'better' noise, I'd lose the Cat & keep the stock muffler - same look, deeper & throatier growl from the pipes. Want more that that? Take the trim off the end of the muffler, cut the end off the pipe, & cut out the little wad of metal packed with glass & those 2 end pipes, but leave all the baffles deeper in alone, then reweld the end on & refit the trim - still looks stock, but sounds a damn sight better!!

Seat of the Pants Dyno (& everyone I now overtake) tells me the mid range is freed up a lot too, & it's certainly more responsive!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

How do you listen to your music....through speakers or headset...?? I use my G9+mp3 and have a Yoshimura R77 pipe no problem. Although not to true to the sound, you tube has many systems on there you can reference....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you are just after a little 'better' noise, I'd lose the Cat & keep the stock muffler - same look, deeper & throatier growl from the pipes.
    That is the response I got when I removed the CAT and kept my secondary muffler intact on my 2013 RT with the 998 engine. An exhaust note that has a little "deeper & throatier growl" is exactly the way I would describe it. It's a little louder but not obnoxiously so. Plus, I got a bit more low-end torque. IOW, it is a bit more responsive off the line. It feels like I may have gained some mid-range torque as well, but I really have no effective way to gage that.

I realize that none of this is really answering your specific question. If anyone on the forum has actually installed the GPR muffler on a Spyder with the 1330 engine, hopefully they will chime in here.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Speakers or headset!

First ,Thanks for your reply. I don't have helmet or headset. I use the speakers and find that I can hear up to 75mph give or take a little. Have been listening to same music since the sixties so if it is drowned out a bit , no problem just pick it up after. Niterider
    2015 RTS , Stock Black Rubber Pearl White