Spyder Garage

Default Garmin map update

For those of you with a Garmin GPS. A new map update 2017.30 has become available as of this morning.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that it's time to see what new roads need exploring...
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hope this update is bug free. Apparently, at least according to other ride forums I belong to, the last update had some bugs that caused issues and Garmin suspended (very quietly) their updates for a while. I can't say for sure, but while buzzing around the Red Rock Rally I used my Garmin several times to assist with routing and it gave me bad information more than once.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I use an old Garmin Nuvi 500 that I had updated and it did the same thing at Red Rock.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Guess I should...have not since I got them..2000, 2008 and one 2012. But use them rarely. Annoying startup with the message to get it updated so thanks for the info....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Great so now I know it wasn't just ME!

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I hope this update is bug free. Apparently, at least according to other ride forums I belong to, the last update had some bugs that caused issues and Garmin suspended (very quietly) their updates for a while. I can't say for sure, but while buzzing around the Red Rock Rally I used my Garmin several times to assist with routing and it gave me bad information more than once.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

The Garmin issues at the Red Rocks Rally were really strange. Many with the Zumo units supplied by BRP and the latest (2017.20) maps were having issues.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2797 with the same 2017.20 maps and had no issue. I can say that a large part of the problem was the map files posted for download by the rally had way too many incorrect waypoints in them. Waypoints placed on the wrong side of a two way highway cause all sorts of directions issues. I had to build my own versions of each of the tour routes before we drove them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin map update

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Great so now I know it wasn't just ME!

AJ
    It wasn't you AJ, maybe it's me but I have never completely trusted these units. They have always had glitches.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-05-2016 at 05:54 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

My new 2017-20 would not take an address for Nav when we went to RRR. Will be checking with Garmin in in the morning.

Time to get out the old Homing Pigeons I guess.

I have five different Garmins and non will take me to my home in Show Low AZ. Go figure?

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Garmin update for my zumo is $69.95 Canadian so not likely to get it

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope it is better than the last update.

My'13 ST LTD came with the Zumo 660 that has functioned OK. As good as any I guess. I paid for the lifetime updates and have updated it once to update the data base hopefully but was very disappointed. The same errors were there as before. The lists of stores and other commercial enterprises were and are terrible. It would take me to the address but the store had been gone for multi years.

Thanks for the heads up. I will try it again. Won't cost any more.

Spyder Garage

When my wife and I go out on our 2015 RTL We go and explore places we have not been before. As long as we can hit home on our Garmin and it gets us there we are happy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have several Garmins as well. People used to be curious about it when I first got one.
    We may go to dinner with friends and they ask how it works so I would plot a course and they would comment how they would never go that way. I would say if you know where you are going don't use it.
    on another note I have found some really fun stuff.

while on a business trip I needed to go to the Baltimore airport, we were on the highway and the sign said BWI exit on Airport Dr. the Garmin said, "In one mile exit onto Airport Doctor."

While led going to a local performance cycle shop named MD Performance, she told me, "Arriving at Maryland Performance on left." You may say OK but we are in Ohio.

Anyway all in fun and these units get one out of trouble more often than not, but of course they are not perfect either.

Joe

Spyder Garage

GPS units are good tools but you do need to use some common sense with them. i.e. people driving their cars down snow covered mountain roads just because the GPS says they should go that way. I still prefer maps for route planning.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I have several Garmins as well. People used to be curious about it when I first got one.
    We may go to dinner with friends and they ask how it works so I would plot a course and they would comment how they would never go that way. I would say if you know where you are going don't use it.
    on another note I have found some really fun stuff.

while on a business trip I needed to go to the Baltimore airport, we were on the highway and the sign said BWI exit on Airport Dr. the Garmin said, "In one mile exit onto Airport Doctor."

While led going to a local performance cycle shop named MD Performance, she told me, "Arriving at Maryland Performance on left." You may say OK but we are in Ohio.

Anyway all in fun and these units get one out of trouble more often than not, but of course they are not perfect either.

Joe

You should hear the Garmin lady trying to pronounce the French road/street names in Quebec. I get a laugh a mile. If I did not know the correct pronunciation I would not have a clue what she was saying.

We have a lot of roads & towns beginning with Saint but abbreviated to St. She calls all Saints as streets. When you arrive at St. Polycarpe she says street Polycarpe.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ah

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    You should hear the Garmin lady trying to pronounce the French road/street names in Quebec. I get a laugh a mile. If I did not know the correct pronunciation I would not have a clue what she was saying.

We have a lot of roads & towns beginning with Saint but abbreviated to St. She calls all Saints as streets. When you arrive at St. Polycarpe she says street Polycarpe.
    You can change the language to French!!!!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.