Spyder Garage

Default Oil leaking Onto floor "2011 RT"

In Aug. I had my seals replaced for my clutch inside the case. I've ridden it about a thousand miles and over the weekend I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor. It just appeared recently. I took the hardware off to see what I could see. Where the case would go together it had oil seepage. Could this be from that repair? Do I have a shot at the dealer making this right without dollars out of my pocket?
    Or would anyone be able to explain a sudden loss of oil on the floor on my garage. It appears to not be motor oil, but I'm not honestly sure either.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    Rich

Spyder Garage

SM5 or SE5? Makes a difference.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Would think so....

If it is leaking oil from an area they worked on that was not leaking they should make it right. Not knowing enough about the problems prior to it's hard to say where or how this leak may have started. I would take it back and have them look at it...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default SM5

Sorry my RT is an SM5. Lost my clutch and my dealer replaced 3 o-rings in the case where it shifts. Now I have a leak

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you need to have a very serious discussion with your dealer over this...
    The bike is beyond it's warranty, but if you can make the case that it was caused by THEIR actions...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    Sorry my RT is an SM5. Lost my clutch and my dealer replaced 3 o-rings in the case where it shifts. Now I have a leak
    Sounds like they twisted/damaged an O-ring during installation...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer1966 View Post
    Sounds like they twisted/damaged an O-ring during installation...
    Or they accidently left one on, and you're double sealed...although you would think that is adequate, but on the contrary it always causes a leak.

Spyder Garage

Agree, if it wasn't leaking before they worked on it, I think you have a case to get them to make it right. Clutch fluid is clear (It's actually DOT4 Brake fluid), and your oil should be a slight brown color.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Check the level in your reservoir on your handle bar should be low. I would think.

Spyder Garage

Default Bad news

Oil is leaking from front of the motor. Dealer called and was very cool about it and explained what they thought it could be...
    They think it's valves. Seriously? The bike has 6,534 miles on it and runs great. Doesn't smoke a drop of oil or anything. Warranty is out, so this will probably be costly. Very disappointed.

Thoughts?
    Rich

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Valves leaking will not leave oil on the floor. A valve cover leaking could. That should be no big deal to correct.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Valve cover gaskets are a possibility...
    But with some time, patience, and some good swear words: you should be able to verify this diagnosis for yourself.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

did you ever figure out the leak ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL LEAK

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Valve cover gaskets are a possibility...
    But with some time, patience, and some good swear words: you should be able to verify this diagnosis for yourself.
    + I think your dealer see's you as a $$$$$$$ machine for Him .......... Sorry .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    + I think your dealer see's you as a $$$$$$$ machine for Him .......... Sorry .......Mike
    I was wondering about that too , { dealers , give just enough information too get you into trouble , then come in and fix the original problem and the new problem ... at the super reduced price of over 100.oo an hour

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    Oil is leaking from front of the motor. Dealer called and was very cool about it and explained what they thought it could be...
    They think it's valves. Seriously? The bike has 6,534 miles on it and runs great. Doesn't smoke a drop of oil or anything. Warranty is out, so this will probably be costly. Very disappointed.

Thoughts?
    Rich
    IMG_20090125_152549.jpg right inside this area look familiar ? too the leak { the bolt heads we see in photo are wet ? } puddle under the front ? { dark area of photo under the engine }

Spyder Garage

Hi.

I had an oil stain on my garage floor from my SE5. Problem turned out to be a missing o-ring on the dipstick. Just a thought.