Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default )&*&%$$&^ Mirrors!!!!!

Took my mirrors off to install some turn signal LED's. That went fine. Now trying to re-install the mirrors and after 1/2 hour and lots of sweat I had to come inside to cool off. Yes, I have a video that I have watched 20 times and that lining up the top pin is not that hard in the video, but it will not catch when I put it in the lower slot and push down to line up the lower pins and snap it in.
    Got one side to catch and then the front will not catch the pin.
    This is nuts!.
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not nuts: it's just an acquired skill:

...And here's what you told me about nailing them back into place... (Worked like a charm!)
    First, make sure the mirror spring wires are straight and parallel. If they are bent inward they may not catch the post,
    and if they diverge or bend outward, the mirror will be loose. It can help to put a very tiny bit of lube on the outer,
    conical part of the post only. I'm talking about a film here, not a glob. Make sure there is none on the back side (post notch).
    Engage the keyhole slot first. Then rap downward firmly (but politely) on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the bottom latch.
    Now rap forward on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the front latch. You can rap a little harder than you can taking the
    mirrors off, because they won't fly across the room, but don't get carried away. Problems seating the latches are usually
    caused by bent spring wires.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Now tell us how you really feel................

The technique that works for me is to put the top slider into the pin, then put the lower pin in place.
    The third pin is held in place with one of those spring loaded clips. A sharp rap on the mirror housing, directed inward usually seats the mirrors.
    Some here have modified the housing to eliminate the spring clip, using screws to hold the mirror in place.
    Hope that helps.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to use white spray grease on the metal tabs..Makes it go on easy when reinstalling the mirrors.

Spyder Garage

Default &*&%$$&^ Mirrors!!!!!

Thanks to the 3 of you that responded so quickly. Got my breath back and will go back and give it another try. The wire springs seems to be pretty straight to me and will give that ball a little shot of white lube. I would like to see that screw modification/whew!
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll get it...

Spyder Garage

Default Yep- white lithium grease

Okay, I clean the dirty gunked up grease off when the mirrors are off like every oil change, and then a little dab,,, I mean a FILM of white grease from the tube on the three pins.. and the mirror then gets hooked on the top mount pin slot. Then just the little rap (or push) down to seat the lower pin in the spring clip, then a short rap (or push) forward to seat the front spring clip. Doesn't hurt to get a couple of spare top and spring clips when you can from the dealer.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Ok, somehow I got the right side to catch all three posts with a little bit of white grease. The left top post is a problem. As I engage the keyhole, and push down, nothing catches. There is a button on the top and a thin slot and behind that is a shoulder. Neither on engages the keyhole. Which one is supposed to catch it? The plastic piece that has two small screws is too thick to allow it to get behind and rest on the keyhole. I can get the two lower pins to engage but the top is just flopping. Will not get into the keyhole. Which slot is supposed to engage?
    Buckskin
    That is a tired setup to hook the mirrors to the body......

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's not nuts: it's just an acquired skill:

...And here's what you told me about nailing them back into place... (Worked like a charm!)
    First, make sure the mirror spring wires are straight and parallel. If they are bent inward they may not catch the post,
    and if they diverge or bend outward, the mirror will be loose. It can help to put a very tiny bit of lube on the outer,
    conical part of the post only. I'm talking about a film here, not a glob. Make sure there is none on the back side (post notch).
    Engage the keyhole slot first. Then rap downward firmly (but politely) on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the bottom latch.
    Now rap forward on the outer edge of the mirror to seat the front latch. You can rap a little harder than you can taking the
    mirrors off, because they won't fly across the room, but don't get carried away. Problems seating the latches are usually
    caused by bent spring wires.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It just sort of hangs on that top post.
    The bottom, and front hook-ups, are what hold things together.

Spyder Garage

Good idea. I come from Goldwing family and those dealers do not stock a single screw for those that loose one here and there. Have to order what you need and wait 3 days for it to come in.
    Are the Can Am dealers a little better about this? I could use a couple of the black large head with #30 torx head with black washer and did not want to have to drive 30 miles to order one screw.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Okay, I clean the dirty gunked up grease off when the mirrors are off like every oil change, and then a little dab,,, I mean a FILM of white grease from the tube on the three pins.. and the mirror then gets hooked on the top mount pin slot. Then just the little rap (or push) down to seat the lower pin in the spring clip, then a short rap (or push) forward to seat the front spring clip. Doesn't hurt to get a couple of spare top and spring clips when you can from the dealer.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yeah well, the hanging part is just that. Hanging out about 1/2" and just dangling there. No pinning it. It has to engage that keyhole with the button to keep it from pulling out with a gap. If it caught that slot in the keyhole, then it would hold it firm against the body.
    Otherwise, why even the slot behind the button? The black plastic piece is too thick to even slide into that first slot. I can't push the top in far enough to make it maybe catch that back shoulder and let it rest on that part of the post.
    Buckskin

It just sort of hangs on that top post.
    The bottom, and front hook-ups, are what hold things together.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just to make sure, there is no wire supposed to be in the top keyhole, right? Now as I understand the keyhole thing, the pin would go into the large part of the keyhole and then the mirror is pushed down to allow the pin to slide up into the smaller part of the keyhole?
    As it is, the pin goes into the hole and just rides up into the slot and comes right back out. No capturing of the pin is happening.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Probably the top plastic C shaped thing is broken and the smaller section is gone. Not much else there to go bad.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hang it on the top rear post...
    push in a little bit on the rear of the mirror, and give it a bit of a rap downward...
    push in on the front of the mirror, and give the lower rear edge of the housing a rap forward...

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I recommend posting some pictures. Someone should be able to point out your problem once they see them.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Compare the left & right top slotted bits, it sounds very much like the left one is busted, as PMK suggested earlier.

I think CanAm call them 'pellets' or something like that - back around 2013ish the OE offerings were renowned for breaking just about every time you took a mirror off, & a lot of us complained, some frequently!! Mid to late 2014 (I think, it coulda been 2015 tho?)) a newer, less fragile version was released & the regular threads on 'why are my mirrors falling off' sorta thing stopped appearing quite so often. I'll go looking for some of my earlier pics of busted & entire 'pellets' for you, but it really does sound like just comparing your right (working) pellet with the left (not working) pellet would reveal which one is busted & won't ever work.

Spyder Garage

I really hate to pull that right mirror off as it was a mess getting in finally on. As for hanging the mirror on the pin, it does not do that. I come in high and lower it and push in somewhat and give it a rap to drive it downward. Is it supposed to catch on that pin with the grooves in it? Likely the front groove. That keyhole slot C shaped piece is too thick to allow the piece to slip on the groove on the pin. If it's supposed to do that, its like the pin is not out far enough to catch that groove. The mirror will not push in enough to catch on that pin......
    There is a thin slot and then a shoulder behind it. Is either one supposed to catch in that key slot? Right now neither is doing so.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Compare the left & right top slotted bits, it sounds very much like the left one is busted, as PMK suggested earlier.

I think CanAm call them 'pellets' or something like that - back around 2013ish the OE offerings were renowned for breaking just about every time you took a mirror off, & a lot of us complained, some frequently!! Mid to late 2014 (I think, it coulda been 2015 tho?)) a newer, less fragile version was released & the regular threads on 'why are my mirrors falling off' sorta thing stopped appearing quite so often. I'll go looking for some of my earlier pics of busted & entire 'pellets' for you, but it really does sound like just comparing your right (working) pellet with the left (not working) pellet would reveal which one is busted & won't ever work.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That sounds awfully much like the 'thin' bit of the keyhole slot C has been broken off & your description of how it hangs off the side of the Spyder is pretty much EXACTLY what a mirror with a broken upper pellet does - it is likely that your upper pellet on that side is broken & needs to be replaced. I've had a quick look but can't readily find my pics of broken vs complete pellets, but I'm reasonably sure that if you could remove the two or three little screws holding it in & then take & post up a pic of the elements of that upper pellet, someone here could definitely identify it as broken or not - or you doing a 5 second comparison with the one you have that doesn't hang off like that could do the same, altho I do appreciate your concerns about removing something that can be so hard to get back on...

The 'thin slot' is meant to have a section in it which is only just as wide as the shank of the pin behind the bulbous head; the thicker sections above & behind that (deeper into the pellet) are there to stop the head going in too far or down too far.... The thin bit is usually the bit that breaks, generally losing about a third of the 'side' of the slot, but that is the essential third & without it there, the head of the pin has nothing behind it to hold the mirror on, & there is not enough of the rest of the thin keyhole bit left to keep it in place, so the mirror flops out at the top instead of being held firmly in.

I really think you need a new upper left mirror pellet - sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

o kay I posted a picture for you , now look closely but not real close , ! now go pop them mirrors on buddy !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's what they should look like...

001.jpg

What are you seeing?

Spyder Garage

Peter, I think you have made some sense of this. Here the deal. Both pellets look the same... I am thinking you are correct and that the right one is likely just barely just hanging on. And I don't dare push on it much. If I could see what a good pellet looks like, then I would know for sure. I'm new to the Spyder thing and don't know how good the parts are in the local dealerships are.
    Rather than drive 30 miles or more and find I have to order the parts, is there a known dealer/parts source here that I can just order the parts myself?
    Anybody got a picture of the good pellet handy? What with all the banging and pushing one has to do with the mirrors to remove and re-install them, it would stand to reason that something can break off and the mirror will not hold properly.
    Buckskin
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That sounds awfully much like the 'thin' bit of the keyhole slot C has been broken off & your description of how it hangs off the side of the Spyder is pretty much EXACTLY what a mirror with a broken upper pellet does - it is likely that your upper pellet on that side is broken & needs to be replaced. I've had a quick look but can't readily find my pics of broken vs complete pellets, but I'm reasonably sure that if you could remove the two little screws holding it in & then take & post up a pic of the elements of that upper pellet, someone here could definitely identify it as broken or not - or you doing a 5 second comparison with the one you have that doesn't hang off like that could do the same, altho I do appreciate your concerns about removing something that can be so hard to get back on...

The 'thin slot' is meant to have a section in it which is only just as wide as the shank of the pin behind the bulbous head; the thicker sections above & behind that (deeper into the pellet) are there to stop the head going in too far or down too far.... The thin bit is usually the bit that breaks, generally losing about a third of the 'side' of the slot, but that is the essential third & without it there, the head of the pin has nothing behind it to hold the mirror on, & there is not enough of the rest of the thin keyhole bit left to keep it in place, so the mirror flops out at the top instead of being held firmly in.

I really think you need a new upper left mirror pellet - sorry.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Peter, If I could see what a good pellet looks like, then I would know for sure. Anybody got a picture of the good pellet handy?
    Look at the post right above yours...

Spyder Garage

Bob's pic shows a couple of un-broken pellets, the pic (that should come up) below shows a broken pellet on the right & on the left is the backing piece that fits into the hole behind that to put pressure on the head of the pin when it locks into place & thereby stops the mirror flapping in the breeze when everything is good, but that actually makes the mirror flop out when the front bit is broken & has no sides on the keyhole bit.....

image.jpg

Ps: if your right mirror is held in the correct position & isn't flopping in the breeze, it's very unlikely that its pellet is broken, they just don't 'barely hang on' - they either work & hang on, or they are broken & they don't!! Altho if it's the 2013 or earlier vintage, they are pretty fragile & can be easily broken during removal or the next try at re-fitting.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

The picture is from the Body and Accessories Mirror parts page for the 2014 RTs. Number 16 in the diagram appears to be the item in question. It is part #219800158, Housing, $7.62 USD. The left and right mirrors use the same part. If you have an earlier Spyder find the part at this link:
    http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

Mirror Parts.JPG
    Last edited by JayBros; 10-04-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So, something is different. I have a keyhole that is narrow and gets narrower. Yours in much more open at the bottom and is more open at the top than mine. I do not have that groove/outline that is shown in yours around the slot.
    How can I get the part number for the left and right? I also could use a couple of black torx screws (the one under the seat under the glove box)
    Buckskin

Here's what they should look like...

001.jpg

What are you seeing?
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

JayBros,
    Appreciate the part number. I went to the link and got to the mirror part number but it did not get down to the level of the one shown.
    There are two screws in the part but three holes. Mine were on the sides and the hole over the keyhole was empty. Is this site a good source for the parts I need?
    Semper FI Marine
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The picture is from the Body and Accessories Mirror parts page for the 2014 RTs. Number 16 in the diagram appears to be the item in question. It is part #219800158, Housing, $7.62 USD. The left and right mirrors use the same part. If you have an earlier Spyder find the part at this link:
    http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

Mirror Parts.JPG
    2016 F3T , Pearl White