Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS Spyder...been sitting for a long time...

Cranked it up..blue smoke rolled...rode down the driveway..it belched and quit..then only started periodically...now not at all..replaced battery..drained tank..put fresh gas in..when running..sounded like on one cylinder at times..have only checked one spark plug for fouling..didn't appear to be...removing panels..will go over with a fine tooth comb...also will crank over with out the brake being on....out in the yard right now as my garage entrance is on an incline and I only weigh 147 lbs...so I can't push it...shade tree mechanic time.....the inside was Spyder incrusted ...will clean every connection...oh ..automatic and it stopped working...any ideas would be appreciated..

Spyder Garage

You may be suffering from the damned alcohol/gasoline, after it sits, it causes a lot of problems in your fuel system.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

At this point I would change the plugs (both), go iridium, replace the fuel filter and flush the tank. Pop the top on the air box and check the cleaner and the airways. shoot a bit of carb and choke cleaner into the trottle body. Change the oil and filters and add fresh gas with seafoam added. check coolant as well and when running let it get to operating temp...till the fan comes on.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can smell fuel...am going to do all Chupaca said...but later have to get to work

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, and I think that Gene has given you a good list of items to check out...
    Please let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How long is "a long time"? How much oil is in it? How many miles? Original owner?

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default how long?

since i bought it new I had great expectations and life went into over drive.. 14 miles on it...although I am a little miffed as to..what has happened... it would always start and I would ride it up the road..not this time..I am in the process of removing panels.. and that huge air cleaner is in the way to remove the front spark plug...so I am going to replace it with something simpler..who makes the aftermarket air cleaner for this thing here..I remember reading about it...here....and.. something that kinda aggravates me... is the gas tank is rusting...I would have never known if this hadn't happened.....before I ordered on line what Gene spoke about...who here has what i need.. rather buy locally..Thanks .....Gotta get it into the Garage...this is going to be long and drawn out it looks like... I mean rust...on the gas tank? maybe that is how these things caught on fire.. the gas tank rusted through....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    since i bought it new I had great expectations and life went into over drive.. 14 miles on it...although I am a little miffed as to..what has happened... it would always start and I would ride it up the road..not this time..I am in the process of removing panels.. and that huge air cleaner is in the way to remove the front spark plug...so I am going to replace it with something simpler..who makes the aftermarket air cleaner for this thing here..I remember reading about it...here....and.. something that kinda aggravates me... is the gas tank is rusting...I would have never known if this hadn't happened.....before I ordered on line what Gene spoke about...who here has what i need.. rather buy locally..Thanks .....Gotta get it into the Garage...this is going to be long and drawn out it looks like... I mean rust...on the gas tank? maybe that is how these things caught on fire.. the gas tank rusted through....
    Air Filter: http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=59
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spark Plugs and such. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Taking the air box off a 2012 RS is Not a Big problem-You can change the Plugs and Wires in an afternoon at your own pace.
    Better with the air box on unless you want hearing LOSS?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Taking the air box off a 2012 RS is Not a Big problem-You can change the Plugs and Wires in an afternoon at your own pace.
    Better with the air box on unless you want hearing LOSS?
    i worked with a rock and roll band in the early 70's. as the sound man....I read lips a lot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default weird

It started this morning,,,idles erratically....then dies...still will start without putting the brake on...what with the rust on the gas tank..I am going to check every connection for corrosion ...and with it being torn down , might as well put a Baja Ron sway bar on
    Last edited by jScotD; 10-05-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

i worked with a rock and roll band in the early 70's. as the sound man....I read lips a lot
    That is awesome, do we know the band? Can you post all the things you do so that I may learn through you? I know a little about these beasts and I am thinking about buying an 08 as a project bike.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    That is awesome, do we know the band? Can you post all the things you do so that I may learn through you? I know a little about these beasts and I am thinking about buying an 08 as a project bike.

Just sayin'............

You wouldn't recognize the band...we did open for Sly and the Family Stone, REO Speedwagon , and Lynyrd Skynard.....and numerous dives...we set up in a cave a mile underground once...that was weird..and Auditioned for Heaven Lee...Kenny Rogers wanted us for his back up band...but we were too much into rock and roll..
    Last edited by jScotD; 10-05-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OK...something to think about

......garage kept.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jScotD; 10-05-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dang, you weren't kidding about the rust Now when I take the bike apart this off-season I got one more thing I gotta check.

Any luck so far in getting it running?

Just sayin'............

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not For Long..

Ordering from Baja Ron...Plugs and whatever else...I should not be able to crank it without the brake on..and it starts..from the looks of the gas tank...there is more corrosion somewhere..will take pictures...when I find something out of the ordinary

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know what you are talking about. I didn't work as a sound man but have been to enough bars moshing in the pit to know about the lip reading thing?

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

mmmmmm western Kentucky ! was thinking more east and north , with the look of what seems to be salt residue on the hose line ? you close too the Mississippi river area ? not letting the spyder sit out side a lot have you ? as far as dew , or light fog , that surrounds every thing ... hope you get this running again , wasn t sure if this has electronic distributor ? oh!!!!!! garage kept sorry didn`t see that

Spyder Garage

Rust on the outside of the gas tank is not a real problem. Easily remedied. Rust on the inside is a major problem. It will clog up your fuel filter in short order. If any gets by your filter it will play havoc with your injectors. You need to fix the rust issue inside your tank for sure. You can change fuel filters and the new one will just clog up again pretty quickly.

I am pretty sure there have been no tanks that rusted through or fires caused by this problem.

You need to change your oil and filters. Especially if you still have the original BRP filters in your Spyder. Those original filters were very bad quality and would disintegrate if left too long.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...