Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RtL handling in mountains

Guys,
    I was at a festival in South Georgia this weekend, and a group of 2 wheel riders were telling me that I would not like my Spyder once I get to Maggie Valley this weekend for the Rally! They said it was great in South Georgia with few curves and no mountains, but in the mountains, my arms would become very tired of turning handlebars, and the bike would be trying to throw my wife and myself off on the sharp mountain curves! One guy said he bought one and kept it about a month before going back to a Harley! He said it was not a mountain bike! We are enjoying it down here, but I do notice on curves it seem to push your body to the outside of the bike! Any truth in what they are saying, or are they just jealous of the Spyder?
    Thanks for your comments!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys,
    I was at a festival in South Georgia this weekend, and a group of 2 wheel riders were telling me that I would not like my Spyder once I get to Maggie Valley this weekend for the Rally! They said it was great in South Georgia with few curves and no mountains, but in the mountains, my arms would become very tired of turning handlebars, and the bike would be trying to throw my wife and myself off on the sharp mountain curves! One guy said he bought one and kept it about a month before going back to a Harley! He said it was not a mountain bike! We are enjoying it down here, but I do notice on curves it seem to push your body to the outside of the bike! Any truth in what they are saying, or are they just jealous of the Spyder?
    In a nutshell, they are wrong. It is a rare Harley rider that can keep up with a decent rider and set up Spyder in the twisties.

That being said there are some things that can be disconcerting to a person coming off of 2 wheels. On 2 wheels centrifugal force keeps the rider in the seat. The forces are in alignment, so to speak. On the Spyder, centrifugal force works to push the rider to the outside of a turn. The same effect that you get in a car. This requires that the rider change their style a bit to reduce the effects of centrifugal force.

Steering can be more tiresome on the Spyder. It is important to both push out on the outside bar and pull in on the inside bar. The same amount of total force is needed but cutting the workload in 1/2 for each arm helps the rider avoid fatigue.

And there are things that can be done to the Spyder which will greatly improve overall handling on curvy roads.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

They are speaking the truth. It's a fair bit of work to make the spyder dance in the twisty's. It will do it but you will always feel like you are being pushed off the bike from the centrifugal force. You will learn to shift your weight to the inside and have your pillion do the same. With lots of practice you will be able to corner with the 2 wheel folks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I fell in love with my Spyder even more in the mountains, and I'm a flatlander like you. Yes, it's different than two wheels, but I found it extremely fun. We were group riding and I would have to slow down in the curves, not because I felt like I was being thrown off, but because I could take them quicker than the two wheelers, and I was in the back! My wife and I were up in Helen at the beginning of the summer and she never complained about feeling like she going to be thrown off. Even though the Spyder doesn't lean, I still use the "chin over wrist" technique in curves. Also, press on the outboard floorboard/peg through the curve. Make sure your wife leans with you, and y'all will be fine. Have a great time, and enjoy those curves!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never wrestle with a pig...
    You have to get down in the mud with them in order to do so; and then they beat you with their experience!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I get to ride the mountains every day that I am on my . For me, that one of the great things about Alaska. Give me twisties and I am in my element. Do I get more tired?--The short answer is No. It's all about weight shifting and leaning into the curves a little bit. It takes off the "g" forces.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With a bit of experience and a few minor upgrades, there will be VERY few Harley riders that can keep up with your Spyder in the twisties.

2 Wheelers take considerable experience to control well in the twisties as well but in the end, the Spyder is considerably more capable than any of the cruiser bikes. A crotch rocket driven by a truly competent rider will run away though.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Don't listen....👂

These are the things that are so much fun with these machines...finding out how you and the machine will do down the road...I do not find it tiring at all and can stay a fair way ahead of most. Go out there and give it a whirl... you will have fun and the more you venture out the more fun it will be...Sooooo..." you may be tired but you will get there before them"...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Guys,
    Install a Sway Bar on your Spyder, that will help a lot with the Spyder. The rest is just getting used to the Spyder in Curves.
    I do not put down other bikes, but I can out run just about any Harley in the curves with our Spyder. I also have a 2016 Ultra Classic Limited with Progressive Suspension Shocks and many upgrades for ride quality and handling. The bike is fine, but not like the Spyder.
    We will be running our own Spyder through Deals Gap and all the other great roads down here around Maggie Valley the next few days.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just did (yesterday and today) Maggie Valley, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherahala Skyway and the dragon. No issues at all. There was a Harley that had wrecked on the Dragon with paramedics all around.

I've done these roads on two wheels, much prefer the Spyder.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

As long as the alignment is correct on you will have no issues. We ride the dragon often sometimes a lot faster than we should.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

My first time doing curves going 60 out of Phoenix to Prescott AZ. Running inside curves did just fine. Did not riding the outside of the curve. These are switchbacks that say the recommended speed is 20-25mph. My Sig other has a victory cross-country tour. Of course he left me. He has been riding 60 yrs. He is 66. I have been riding 2 wheeler less than 2 yrs. The 3 wheeler since may 2016. Yes initially I felt this force trying to force me off bike but then I found if I leaned forward and used a push pull technique I could maneuver the curves going 35-40mph. I moved out of way and waved faster vehicles by so they could enjoy their ride. Coming back down we rode 17. By the time I made it to 17 I had better control and more experience. It's a matter of practice. The hot weather is gone and I am on my bike everyday. I look forward to many days of riding this fall and winter until may 1st

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Think of it as a free gym membership

It's a workout hustling the Spyder through twisties. First, the dry weight of our GS/RS is almost 800lbs. With gas it's closer to 900. That's twice the weight of my sport bike. That's a lot of weight to throw around a corner. I much prefer my Street Triple in the canyons at speed. The Spyder is for cruising and two upping; even moreso if you have an RT. The F3 is reportedly easier to maneuver, but I have no personal comparison with it and my two wheelers.

Second, body english.. BODY ENGLISH! Get forward using the "kiss the inside mirror" technique, weight the outside peg/floorboard, and brace against the tank with your knees. Keep yourself to the inside of the Spyder and you can corner much faster, until the inside wheel lifts and Nanny kicks in.

Also, I find the Y configuration doesn't trail brake to the apex too well. It prefers to be on the gas a little all the way around the corner. So I usually get done braking in a straight line and crack on the throttle progressively in the curve.

It's no match for a sport bike, but it's not the most awful pig in the corner that it first appears to be, when ridden correctly.

I think you'll have a great time in Maggie Valley - though I suspect if you want speed, you'll prefer the Cherohala Skyway over the Dragon.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-02-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default spyder handeling

If you have any problems with the way your spyder suspension handles
    get in touch with Ron. He has a sway bar & front spring adjusters that
    will help a lot. Riding two up on the RT run at least 18-19# of air in the
    front tires this will help. Watch your speed on the dragon you don't want
    to get a ticket on that ride.

spyder strider

Dan

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Read my first post in this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ng+motor+trike to see what the owner of Motor Trikes had to say about how fast a reverse trike can take a corner compared to a two wheeler or conventional trike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default If 2 wheels are good, 3 must be better

Never road on 2 wheels but have plenty of miles(though never enough) in the mountains of vernon and high point here in NJ. BAJARON antiswaybar is a must. I find pushing my knees inward toward each other and onto the tank, helps stabilize my body on the bike. I found my comfort zone by pushing with outside hand for about 2/3s energy compared to pulling in 1/3 with inside hand. But find your own comfort zone which will depend on strengh/injuries and comfort. Leaning slightly forward On the inside pulling hand helps on extreme wiglys for me. EXPERIMENT AND ENJOY ONE UP AT A TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post New to the Spyder but been riding for many years.

I came off a Glodwing recently and now ride a 2014 RTL at first I was a little worried about the change myself but after only a few weeks of riding I have become quite comfortable on the Spyder. I do notice that with my wife and myself on together the handling in corners is quite a bit more noticeable from the extra weight. But I have been riding with my old club on many winding roads and have no problem handling corners just as fast as any of them have gone. Give it some time I think the longer you ride it the more comfortable you will be. I bought my Spyder 8/16/16 so like I said I am quit new to it but every time I climb on it I like it a little more. I also have heard some stories about how much it wears you out in corners and long rides but I just got back from a 600 plus mile ride last weekend and was actually less tired than on similar rides with my Goldwing. Enjoy

Spyder Garage

You need to lean your body INTO the curve and put pressure on the outside foot
    Nough said.

AJ

Guys,

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black