Spyder Garage

Default Steering free play

My 2008 RS SM5 with 17,000km on the clock developed this free play at the handlebar ends about 1,500km ago. There is no play in the tie-rod ends or looseness in the ball joints. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but there is about 1/2 in (2cm) of play at the bar ends.

Has anyone had this and its been fixed? If so what was the problem?
    What do I need to strip down to get to the steering components?
    Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    John Kennedy
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

You didn't hit a kerb or a big pot-hole just beforehand, did you??

Certainly worth checking your manual to see what the acceptable limit of free-play actually is, but if that free-play is only evident while the Spyder is stopped &/or the engine is off, then I doubt it's a problem!! However, if you can feel a fair degree of free play when you start to turn or change lanes (ie input steering control movement & there's no steering/front wheel response for a few degrees of turning) while you are moving along at sayyy, 30mph (& that should take somewhat more'n 1/2" at the bar ends) then you need to get your wheel alignment & steering checked!

Some free play while the power steering isn't doing its thing (ie Spyder & engine stopped &/or at/just above idle & moving at less than about 10mph) is to be expected, & in fact, is probably necessary or your power steering would kick in waaaayyy too early & have you twitching & darting all over the place on your Spyder like it did before you got it aligned properly & fitted the BajaRon anti-sway bar!! Some is good, too much is not!!

And sadly, it seems some people try to adjust everything up so tight that they have no freeplay when they should have some - & that certainly is not a great thing to do!! It will lead to premature wear & early component failure!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrk36 View Post
    My 2008 RS SM5 with 17,000km on the clock developed this free play at the handlebar ends about 1,500km ago. There is no play in the tie-rod ends or looseness in the ball joints. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but there is about 1/2 in (2cm) of play at the bar ends.

Has anyone had this and its been fixed? If so what was the problem?
    What do I need to strip down to get to the steering components?
    Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    John Kennedy
    I had the same thing on my 2008GS. The rod from the bars to the DPS unit is connected by a splined tapered coupling. There is a pinch bolt that locks that coupling up tight. If the bolt and nut comes loose the system developes free play which gets worse as the coupling gets looser. I probably have not used the correct terms but hopefully you will see what I mean. Simple to fix just loctite and torque up the bolt and nut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I had the same thing on my 2008GS. The rod from the bars to the DPS unit is connected by a splined tapered coupling. There is a pinch bolt that locks that coupling up tight. If the bolt and nut comes loose the system develops free play which gets worse as the coupling gets looser.
    That sounds more like what it could be It's certainly nothing to do with the power steering or alignment (which is spot on). Only trouble now is actually getting to it For starters I cannot even see how to get to the bolts (due lack of clearance) that holds the handlebar cover on! See page from Parts Manual below.
    Anyone got tips on "quick" way to tighten this pinch bolt?

John K

Spyder Steering Parts.jpg
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Anyone got tips on "quick" way to tighten this pinch bolt?
    I can but assume we are talking about what looks like a pinch bolt in parts 42/43 in this diagram, yes?
    Spyder Steering Parts II.jpg

Thanks,
    John K
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I can but assume we are talking about what looks like a pinch bolt in parts 42/43 in this diagram, yes?
    Frustratingly, I can see and touch that pinch bolt from the side of my Spyder, and I can even get a (13mm) socket on it. However, I can't get the socket arm/driver onto the socket to rotate/tighten it Of course, even if I could it probably would just turn (not tighten) without a spanner/socket on the other end!
    Oh well, looks like off with the front trunk (which I'm not looking forward to).

John K
    2016 F3-S , Yellow