Thread: More tire S@#T

Spyder Garage

Default More tire S@#T

I wish I had known how much better my RT would handle with real tires on the front. The Kendas still had plenty of tread so I hated to waste them but went for the KH16 Kuhmo in 175/55-15. I'm fortunate to have complete shop facility's so I mounted and balanced them yesterday and did a test ride this morning.
    Much less steering effort and better tracking in the corners. Need to lighten up a bit on the input because they seem to respond way better than the kenda's . I got them up to 90+ and no vibration so I must have the balance good. I also lost the pull I had to the right so that's a plus. I got them from Amazon and with my points it only cost me 36.00 total to get them to my door. If you're thinking about changing the fronts do it sooner than later you will thank yourself. I'm sure most anything is an improvement. IMHO
    I just need to engineer a real hitch and I might keep this thing.

Spyder Garage

what year do you have them on?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

I just put the same tires on my F3
    fjray, as far as your impressions, you took the words right out of my mouth!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce47 View Post
    what year do you have them on?
    2015 RT limited.

Spyder Garage

Default Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I just put the same tires on my F3
    fjray, as far as your impressions, you took the words right out of my mouth!

...as I said before....

....but now, I really realize how much I need a bayaron sway bar. !!! 😁

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default Fender clearance

Doe's the 175 size fit under the front fender with no trouble ? I have a 2014 RT and am considering new fronts with 20K on origenals.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    Doe's the 175 size fit under the front fender with no trouble ? I have a 2014 RT and am considering new fronts with 20K on origenals.
    Well if it didn't fit I would not be able to report such good results. Nothing was changed, just bolted them on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Well if it didn't fit I would not be able to report such good results. Nothing was changed, just bolted them on.
    Hi, fjray, What tire pressure are you running in the front tires. I have found on my ST that 20psi works best for it. I know you bike is a little more heavy.

Thanks and Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    Hi, fjray, What tire pressure are you running in the front tires. I have found on my ST that 20psi works best for it. I know you bike is a little more heavy.

Thanks and Good Luck
    22 psi at this point. I'm leaving on a trip Wednesday and will play with pressures on the way. Rode two up today for our Saturday donut run and it feels good at that pressure in the front and running 24 in the rear Kuhmo.

Spyder Garage

Default This one??

Fjray -

Can you confirm this is the tire you speak of for the fronts replacement on your RT?

Tire.jpg

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Same experience

Same experience for me, wish I had made that change a year ago.

I wish I had known how much better my RT would handle with real tires on the front. The Kendas still had plenty of tread so I hated to waste them.....
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

I agree. I don't have the same brand tires up front that you do. Until you try a good 4 ply tire up front you'll not realize how inferior the Kendas are. If or when I get a new Spyder I'll most likely run the rear tire till it's wore out, but the front tires will be replaced asap.

Spyder Garage

22 psi at this point. I'm leaving on a trip Wednesday and will play with pressures on the way. Rode two up today for our Saturday donut run and it feels good at that pressure in the front and running 24 in the rear Kuhmo.
    I run 22 in my car tires on the front too and have found that seems to be the sweet spot...
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Replace Front Tire ASAP

Brian Kay up in Kennesaw is having a laser alignment and belt alignment soon, and I'm trying to convince him to put some type of car tires on the front before the alignment. He recently installed Elka Stage 2 shocks I think and on the first ride didn't see a marked improvement. The front car tire improvement was evident for me immediately, and for about 2 weeks it seemed like a new vehicle each morning.

Thinking about convincing Brian, I suspect he will spend some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway while in Maggie Valley this week. I think the North Carolina portion of the Parkway really sucks for my Spyder. I rode up as far as Roanoke in late August and exited the Parkway after Virginia on the return home. The BRP is my favorite road but I had decided to limit my rides there while in Maggie Valley. I think it may be a different story with new front tires. If not, I'll spend my time on the Cherahola, which is another favorite ride.

I'm kind of obsessive about tires for all vehicles and appreciate all who have posted their results and recommendations.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    I agree. I don't have the same brand tires up front that you do. Until you try a good 4 ply tire up front you'll not realize how inferior the Kendas are. If or when I get a new Spyder I'll most likely run the rear tire till it's wore out, but the front tires will be replaced asap.
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    Brian Kay up in Kennesaw is having a laser alignment and belt alignment soon, and I'm trying to convince him to put some type of car tires on the front before the alignment. He recently installed Elka Stage 2 shocks I think and on the first ride didn't see a marked improvement. The front car tire improvement was evident for me immediately, and for about 2 weeks it seemed like a new vehicle each morning.

Thinking about convincing Brian, I suspect he will spend some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway while in Maggie Valley this week. I think the North Carolina portion of the Parkway really sucks for my Spyder. I rode up as far as Roanoke in late August and exited the Parkway after Virginia on the return home. The BRP is my favorite road but I had decided to limit my rides there while in Maggie Valley. I think it may be a different story with new front tires. If not, I'll spend my time on the Cherahola, which is another favorite ride.

I'm kind of obsessive about tires for all vehicles and appreciate all who have posted their results and recommendations.

-Bill
    I haven't had it done yet...the laser alignment, or belt adjustment. The Spyder seems to be running fine, so I'll probably not worry about touching the belt (tension or alignment). With every thing I've done to the front end (Elkas 2 and BR Sway Bar) I want to go with the trifecta and have the laser alignment done. Yes, I would love to swap out those front tires but I remember that I purchased a tire protection package with the dealership, and it would be a total waste of money if I purchased the car tires for the front because it would void the protection. BUT, I may just say "F" it and do it anyway because if you're saying it is a big difference in performance and handling, then the trifecta would turn into a superfecta and all 4 would turn this machine into a dream ride.

Bill, we'll talk more on Saturday when I see you.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the tire pressures:
    We had a thread in here about a week ago, that mentioned dropping the pressures down to 18 psi, resulted in some rubbing. Too little pressure seems to allow for a bit too much tire deflection in the turns...

...Just Sayin'...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mind you Bob, I'm running 16 psi in my 'larger than OE' front tires (175/60R15's) & have NO rubbing issues at all; not since I swapped the hex head screws on the inside of the fenders for dome head screws anyway - & I don't think anyone who's ever ridden with me would suggest that I don't push my Spyder pretty hard, especially in the twisty bits!

I think there may be a little bit of the (minor?) differences between ryding styles &/or different Spyder models, tires, & pressures making all the difference in this - some may have rubbing issues, but I suspect most won't; altho if you stick to the recommended tire sizes &/or those larger sizes that have been tried by others, any rubbing issues should be relatively minor & readily resolved!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm only passing along information that was previously reported in here...

...YMMV...

Here's that thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...75-front-tires
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-26-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Mind you Bob, I'm running 16 psi in my 'larger than OE' front tires (175/60R15's) & have NO rubbing issues at all; not since I swapped the hex head screws on the inside of the fenders for dome head screws anyway - & I don't think anyone who's ever ridden with me would suggest that I don't push my Spyder pretty hard, especially in the twisty bits!

I think there may be a little bit of the (minor?) differences between ryding styles &/or different Spyder models, tires, & pressures making all the difference in this - some may have rubbing issues, but I suspect most won't; altho if you stick to the recommended tire sizes &/or those larger sizes that have been tried by others, any rubbing issues should be relatively minor & readily resolved!
    Peter,

I was the one who reported tire rubbing issue with the 175. None of the bolt/screw heads rubbed. Only the black inner fender rubbed. I was running 18# pressure at the time. I am now running 20# without an issue so as long as you do not go below 20# there should not be an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks PW, I just posted up in the other thread. Since I run taller profile tires that are just as wide (175/60R15) & I run them at LOWER pressures (16psi) with NO rubbing issues, so if anything they should flex & rub more, I think your conclusion that the pressure is the major problem here is at least partially wrong!!

After looking at my fenders carefully, there's no way my tires could touch the fender insert where yours are rubbed, not unless the fender insert was significantly bowed into the wheel well or they were about an inch closer?! The screw heads are by far the most intrusive into the wheel well. Maybe your fender brackets are twisted in a touch so the fender insert bows in the middle into the wheel well when they are fitted??

But I certainly don't think tire pressures are the big factor here?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.