Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire replacement - what is everyone liking now?

Sadly, my Michelin Hydroedge rear tire has worn down to the point I will need to be replacing it in under 5k miles. I have 26k on it so I can't complain. What is everyone liking for a rear tire. I have heard very good things about the Kumo EST, I believe. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Only have 1k mi on our yokahama s drive but it was awesome in a huge rainstorm the wife said she noticed a big difference in the feel of the machine for the better as my co pilot

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tires

I replaced the Kenda rear tire within 300 miles of purchase. I have had very good luck using the Kohumo EST and see no reason to change.

Good Luck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GREAT TIRE ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Sadly, my Michelin Hydroedge rear tire has worn down to the point I will need to be replacing it in under 5k miles. I have 26k on it so I can't complain. What is everyone liking for a rear tire. I have heard very good things about the Kumo EST, I believe. Thoughts?
    If you want to spend the bucks The Michelin Primacy 205/60-15 has a better rating than the Altimax in 215/60-15 ) and either will more than do the job ....................IMHO........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-24-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had good luck with the first Kumho I bought for the Beast and I have already purchased another that will be going on Cocaine in about a thousand miles.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

If you got 26,000 with 5 to go stick with that tire...have not seen that mileage on a rear and if it's the fronts that is still good...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

He probably would if he could Chupaca, but I don't think the Hydroedge is made any more...

Spyder Garage

I second the recommendation for the Yoko S-Drive. Smooth running, great traction, great rain performance and a highly regarded performance tire. If your only requirement is long life, then perhaps there are other choices but the Yoko is one great tire on the Spyders. Have installed a good number of them on customers bikes and not one complaint.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    He probably would if he could Chupaca, but I don't think the Hydroedge is made any more...
    That is very true! I did find a 205/60/15. I think that size would work??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had really good luck with Kumho's Ecsta AST, but I'm curious about the Yokohama S-Drive...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

yokahama s drive

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yea

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you got 26,000 with 5 to go stick with that tire...have not seen that mileage on a rear and if it's the fronts that is still good...
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Yokohama s Drive tires I have installed 4 tires on different Can-Am no complaints

Spyder Garage

I'm running a 205/50/15 Yokohama S drive on a RT and ride 2 up . It has 17000 miles on it and looks like I could go 2000 to 3000 more. What size can I move up to, I like the tire but would like to get the speed closer to GPS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    In the family, we have 3 AST and one Proxie 4. We are all satisfied, and would quote them as equivalent.... mileage wise, we have around 5-6K miles on them, and no wear sign. We are all in 225/50R15 size, and running them at 26lbs single riding.

Richard

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default Replacing Kumho with General

Replacing Kumho with General. I've got the Kumho AST with 5/32 tread remaing at 11,000+ miles, and ordered the General Altimax R43 today from Amazon. I have a laser alignment scheduled on Oct 11, and it made sense to me to replace the rear tire at this time. The Kumho has been OK and I had 2 Kumhos on my GL1800 and they were fine. I got lots of VSS alerts in the rain with this Kumho, but I suspect that's more attributable to the low weight on the tire rather than the tire itself.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I second the recommendation for the Yoko S-Drive. Smooth running, great traction, great rain performance and a highly regarded performance tire. If your only requirement is long life, then perhaps there are other choices but the Yoko is one great tire on the Spyders. Have installed a good number of them on customers bikes and not one complaint.
    Wow, five recommendations for the Yokohama s-Drive so far in this thread. When I installed mine last year not many were installing that tire.

So I'll be #6 to recommend that tire! Only 4000 miles on mine so far, but it still looks new. Like others, I've noticed a big improvement with traction on wet roads as well. The 205/55R15 is the same diameter, but just a tad wider than the stock tire, and seemed to fit the rim better than the stock. This tire has a very favorable UTQG rating of 300/AA/A. I'll likely be staying with the Yoko s-Drive, when it's time to replace it.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramsail View Post
    I'm running a 205/50/15 Yokohama S drive on a RT and ride 2 up . It has 17000 miles on it and looks like I could go 2000 to 3000 more. What size can I move up to, I like the tire but would like to get the speed closer to GPS.

Yokohama S-Drive in 205/55 - 15 is an exact match to the oem tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramsail View Post
    215/60/15 puts the speedo right on with the GPS.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you want to spend the bucks The ************* 205/60-15 has a better rating than the ********* in 215/60-15 ) and either will more than do the job ....................IMHO........Mike
    Mike, is that tire the "Voldemort" brand you are referring to?

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. It could be.....actually I finally decided Doc doesn't read my posts so I'm no longer going to waste my time posting when He asks a question. ..........Mike
    I read them, Mike! I promise!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, ordered 205/55/15 will be here on the 29th. Then the work begins !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Wow, five recommendations for the Yokohama s-Drive so far in this thread. When I installed mine last year not many were installing that tire.

So I'll be #6 to recommend that tire! Only 4000 miles on mine so far, but it still looks new. Like others, I've noticed a big improvement with traction on wet roads as well. The 205/55R15 is the same diameter, but just a tad wider than the stock tire, and seemed to fit the rim better than the stock. This tire has a very favorable UTQG rating of 300/AA/A. I'll likely be staying with the Yoko s-Drive, when it's time to replace it.
    So how does the 205 Yoko be wider than the stock 225 Kenda?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 02:53 AM. Reason: then (time) - than (alternative) ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

How can this be, JP? Simple really, it is quite likely because the manufacturer of the 205 sized tire has used the original size of the basic tire carcass when deciding on what size to label it, then they've wrapped that 205 sized carcass in a few layers of tread, bead, & sidewall rubber etc which has increased its actual physical size & external dimensions to those you see; while the manufacturer of the 225 tire added all that extra rubber first & then used the resulting size to determine the nearest nominal size when choosing what size to put on their labelling!!

Many manufacturers do this: some label their tire sizes based on the naked casing & its actual size physically increases from there as tread etc is added; while others label their tire sizes based on the already completed tire - and all of them rarely use either the casing or completed tires EXACT size anyway, they generally just go for the nearest commonly accepted 'nominal size'!! So it's common enough to find one make/type of tire that's labelled as a 205 that is actually bigger than another make/type of tire that's labelled as a 225 - and sometimes, this even happens with different types/tread pattern tires produced by the same manufacturer!! You can only really trust the specific & actual physical sizes of a given tire, all the rest is just nominal size labelling and even that is based on whatever feeling took the manufacturer at the time!!

Visit any tire retail outlet that has stocks of a range of tires of various types from different manufacturers & ask them to stand a variety of supposedly same size tires from different manufacturers together & it won't take too many tires standing alongside each other for you to see for yourself that very few tires of supposedly the same nominal size actually have the same physical dimensions - some get close, but there are often even differences in the actual size between tires with a different tread pattern or construction type that come from the same manufacturer! It happens, a whole lot more than you might think!!

You can only really trust the actual physical dimensions of any tire as being correct, & should only use their labelled nominal size as a general guide!!

Then, just to make it all harder, you should also take into account the effect that different temperatures or running different pressures can have on the overall rolling circumference of a tire, but let's not go much further into that here - suffice to say that varying your tire temperature or pressure by much can make a noticeable difference in a tires rolling diameter & circumference & therefore how close it can get to fitting a specific vehicle or not; altho that difference normally makes for only a small difference!

Spyder Garage

A vote for the General Altimax RT43 here. Almost 7,000 miles, still looks new, no compalints about handling.

I'm thinking about replacing the fronts with Kuhmo Solus KH16s soon.