Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Altimax RT43 here too

Based on all the discussion here I put the RT43's on the front about 300 miles ago. Running them at 17 psi and so far they are great. Today I had one put on the rear and I'll add my $.02 after some experience with it. All this at 16K miles.

Wore out 2 sets of front tires due to bad alignment. Two dealers aligned it (??) and I was still grinding off the inside half. Then I had Squared Away align it about 18 mos ago but the damage was done already. Now I'm hoping for a ton of smooth miles.

Spyder Garage

You won't get 26K out of the S-drive.
    Loving my Yoko S. Drive and have 10K on it now. Looks like I will get about 15K out of it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

An other Vote for the General Altimax RT 43, size 215/60 R 15 Running 26 PSI. I have 9,963 miles on the tire, and still looks new. Total mileage on Spyder is 15,787.

This is my 2nd motorcycle season with the General. I like the tire, and several other people on this site are also running the General. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    So how does the 205 Yoko be wider then the stock 225 Kenda?
    Good question.

You wouldn't think so from the size specification. It was indeed a little wider at the bead, but not by much. The 205 vs. 225 refers to "section width" which is measured at the widest point of the sidewall of an inflated tire without load. It can vary between tires of the same size from different manufacturers, depending on the tire construction. But I was referring to tread width. Just looking at them side by side at the time of purchase (before inflation), the s.Drive seemed to be a smidgeon wider. In truth, these two sizes are very similar.

Edit... I wrote the reply above before I saw Peter Aawens's earlier answer. We both said basically the same thing, but Peter's answer went much more in depth. Thanks, Peter.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-24-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You won't get 26K out of the S-drive.
    Loving my Yoko S. Drive and have 10K on it now. Looks like I will get about 15K out of it.

Bob
    Spyder Ann has said the same thing. She installed one on her Spyder about the same time you did, Bob, but of course her's is long gone by now. I installed mine a little later. Mine now has 4000 miles on it and still looks almost new (without actually measuring the tread depth). But I love the way this s.Drive tire handles -especially on wet or slippery roads. I'll likely buy it again.

What cold psi are you using, Bob? I'm using 26, but I'm a big guy. If I was "normal size", I'd probably use about 22-24 in that tire.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-24-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Spyder Ann has said the same thing. She installed one on her Spyder about the same time you did, Bob, but of course her's is long gone by now. I installed mine a little later. Mine now has 4000 miles on it and still looks almost new (without actually measuring the tread depth). But I love the way this s.Drive tire handles -especially on wet or slippery roads. I'll likely buy it again.

What cold psi are you using, Bob? I'm using 26, but I'm a big guy. If I was "normal size", I'd probably use about 22-24 in that tire.
    I am good with 14K as getting a harder tire is a trade off with handling. This tire handles really well.
    I am running 25-26 PSI as running 28 per my fobo video shows due to temperature change (even with nitrogen) it rises to 35 PSI.
    At 25 it only rises to about 32.

Bob

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Sadly, my Michelin Hydroedge rear tire has worn down to the point I will need to be replacing it in under 5k miles. I have 26k on it so I can't complain. What is everyone liking for a rear tire. I have heard very good things about the Kumo EST, I believe. Thoughts?
    I have the stock size Kumo on my spyder. I now have 10k miles and it still looks pretty good. I have also had no troubles with the rain. I am not sure that I will get 26k out of it, but for around $80, it should be good.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

hi no issues on the 205 tyre size instead of 225??

Spyder Garage

tyre size of yokohama??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddtoit View Post
    tyre size of yokohama??
    Yokohama S-Drive 205/55-15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone! Just joined Spyderlovers. I'm replacing the stock rear Kenda on my 14 RSS on the 22nd. After reading a bunch of posts on here, I bought the Kumho Ecsta 4x II 205/55r15. It was between this and the Yoko S Drive, but decided on the Kumho. I don't think fitment should be an issue. The dealer that's doing the install said the wheel should not need balancing, but would throw in some balance beads if needed. Has anyone ran this particular tire? I've seen nothing on the threads about it. And would the wheel and tire need balancing at all? Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman14RSS View Post
    Hey everyone! Just joined Spyderlovers. I'm replacing the stock rear Kenda on my 14 RSS on the 22nd. After reading a bunch of posts on here, I bought the Kumho Ecsta 4x II 205/55r15. It was between this and the Yoko S Drive, but decided on the Kumho. I don't think fitment should be an issue. The dealer that's doing the install said the wheel should not need balancing, but would throw in some balance beads if needed. Has anyone ran this particular tire? I've seen nothing on the threads about it. And would the wheel and tire need balancing at all? Thanks!
    First off & …….. Although that would not be my 1st thru 10th choice of tire , only use 17-18psi in it for the best all-around performance …. Kumho's have a tendency ( according to other reports on this Forum ) of losing WET road traction early in it's tread life ...……. On balancing Spyder tires - the front must be balanced 90% of the time ...the rear 10% …….. My last 5 rear tires didn't get balanced by any methods and I have had no problems with them ….. Just like on Auto's, because of the rear axel mounting method any slight imbalance is not going to be noticed …… jmho …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    First off & …….. Although that would not be my 1st thru 10th choice of tire , only use 17-18psi in it for the best all-around performance …. Kumho's have a tendency ( according to other reports on this Forum ) of losing WET road traction early in it's tread life ...……. On balancing Spyder tires - the front must be balanced 90% of the time ...the rear 10% …….. My last 5 rear tires didn't get balanced by any methods and I have had no problems with them ….. Just like on Auto's, because of the rear axel mounting method any slight imbalance is not going to be noticed …… jmho …… Mike
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm a fair weather rider, so not too concerned about wet traction. Anything will be better than the stock Kenda. I only have a little over 6k on the bike, and middle is wearing out. I've kept the recommended 28 psi in it, but from other posts I've read, that's probably a little too much.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman14RSS View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm a fair weather rider, so not too concerned about wet traction. Anything will be better than the stock Kenda. I only have a little over 6k on the bike, and middle is wearing out. I've kept the recommended 28 psi in it, but from other posts I've read, that's probably a little too much.
    ...….. There aren't many folks who ONLY wait for WET weather to ride their Spyders …… When I was an LEO ( 35+yrs. ) On nights that it was Snowing I would go to a large parking lot and FLOG the crap out my cruiser seeing how fast I could go ( in turns etc. ) before it would spin out...…. A person learns from doing this …. PS in all my years of driving I never had an accident due to Snow/Ice …………. The OEM Kenda tire is so weakly made - what your tire pressure is has almost no bearing on the Tread life ( REAR TIRE testing only )…. My comments on tire PSI only refers to auto tires on the Spyder ….. Mike