Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent

Now that I secured a place for winter storage, I have heard many things in regards to mice/chipmunks, etc doing severe damage to motorcycles and the like in the winter (especially the electrical system). Since this is my first time needing to use a facility for winter storage (it is a large aluminum building without climate control) I am looking into how to keep rodents away. I have heard moth balls on the ground around the bike, in rags or stockings "ON" the bike and under the seat, rat poison and also to the extent of not covering your bike so to not make it a dark and inviting place for critters (some have said to use just a queen or king fitted sheet over bike). Someone mentioned a product called Fresh Cab which comes in a 4-pack and works as well.

Just confused what to do here..any suggestions are appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Putting your bike to sleep for a couple of Months can be very traumatic...
    Even if you use EVERY possible tactic that you hear of: you're still going to worry!
    My bike is left uncovered in my own heated garage. The Battery tender is plugged in, and I use dryer sheets underneath all of the potentially fun spots on the bike...
    ...And I STILL lose sleep over it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Putting your bike to sleep for a couple of Months can be very traumatic...
    Even if you use EVERY possible tactic that you hear of: you're still going to worry!
    My bike is left uncovered in my own heated garage. The Battery tender is plugged in, and I use dryer sheets underneath all of the potentially fun spots on the bike...
    ...And I STILL lose sleep over it!
    At least you have 24hr access with a garage, let alone heated. I do not have that luxury and might be able to go over to the storage 1-2 times a month to check up on things and make my monthly payment. I guess I will just moth ball the crap out of it and stuff some dryer sheets in there along the way..haven't decided about using a cover or not, for the storage area is not dark 24 hrs a day like others..it has sky lights and pretty bright during the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd set some serious mouse-traps around it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of farmers use mothballs in and around their equipment. Seems to work very well. Or you can get a mouser dog.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to cover over the openings in the muffler with something...

Spyder Garage

I'd set some serious mouse-traps around it...
    I was thinking more on the line of rat/mouse baits..If the traps are filled and I only have access 1-2 times a month....

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to cover over the openings in the muffler with something...
    Old t-shirt or rags will do...thanks! Oh, and you say "openings"..is there more than one? Something I probably do not know about being a newbie with this machine.. Ok, you can stop laughing now...hehe
    Last edited by ShortCake; 09-22-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ShortCake View Post
    Old t-shirt or rags will do...thanks! Oh, and you say "openings"..is there more than one? Something I probably do not know about being a newbie with this machine.. Ok, you can stop laughing now...hehe
    We were all newbie's once.

Bike sleeps in my own garage. I put mouse bait on the floor around the bike and stuff the muffler openings with steel wool (the plain kind, not the kind with soap in it.)
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mothballs & dryer sheets have been proven not to work. My brother tried both with a popup camper & still had problems. Nothing is 100%. Using a combination of items is probably your best choice. I tried some stuff that had fox & bobcat urine I think. I couldn't smell it but I'm sure the mice did. Sticky traps work good too especially if baited with peanut butter. Mice love that stuff! They hate steel wool. Plug every hole in the building with fine steel wool. You stand a better chance if you can keep them away but you'll need something for those who don't. Good luck!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Mothballs & dryer sheets have been proven not to work. My brother tried both with a popup camper & still had problems. Nothing is 100%. Using a combination of items is probably your best choice. I tried some stuff that had fox & bobcat urine I think. I couldn't smell it but I'm sure the mice did. Sticky traps work good too especially if baited with peanut butter. Mice love that stuff! They hate steel wool. Plug every hole in the building with fine steel wool. You stand a better chance if you can keep them away but you'll need something for those who don't. Good luck!
    I'd use sticky traps if I could access the building more often than 1-2 times a month. If I place a couple of them around the bike and they are filled in a couple days, that leaves 3 weeks open until I can have access again and more mice not getting caught if traps are filled. I was thinking of the mice/rat poison traps along with the moth balls..Moth balls didn't work for your brother but yet so many have had luck with using it..works for some but not for all I guess. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

When my Spyder is hibernating for the winter in my unheated garage, I stuff steel wool into the exhaust, put dryer sheets under the seat, and spray a mixture of peppermint oil & water all around the garage every few days (a car lives in there too) which for some reason the mice really don't seem to like. This will be the fourth winter sleep, and so far, no problems. But, I have access every day, which unfortunately you don't.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Had a mouse nest in mine within the first 10 days after garaged for winter

So we moved to Fla and keep riding

Had an ultra classic in same garage for 10 years
    Never a prob

Go figure[emoji41]

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

I'd use sticky traps if I could access the building more often than 1-2 times a month. If I place a couple of them around the bike and they are filled in a couple days, that leaves 3 weeks open until I can have access again and more mice not getting caught if traps are filled. I was thinking of the mice/rat poison traps along with the moth balls..Moth balls didn't work for your brother but yet so many have had luck with using it..works for some but not for all I guess. Thanks!

Poison outside the building would be a good idea too if you are allowed. Metal bait boxes for the poison might be a good idea so nothing else gets into it.

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Foam Grips
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been using moth balls for at least 18 years. Spyder, boat and sled. Never once did I have an issue and there are mice and chipmunks in the area. Baited glue boards are good back up also.

Spyder Garage

Default Got cats?

I found a mouse nest under my seat a few days ago, even with mothballs in small bags around the Spyder (it's outside in a Bike Barn). They were using fur from my sheepskin/gel seat pad for nesting material, and there were a couple of half-eaten acorns under the seat, too. I removed the seat pad and added another small bag of mothballs in front of the opening in the back of the seat, which i assume was their route in, and put dryer sheets on the floorboards. I also decided to try something new. I have two cats, and I use litter made from recycled newspaper pellets. I gathered a bunch of the litter that was soaked with cat urine, and I've been sprinkling a small amount of it around the perimeter of the Bike Barn. So far, between the dryer sheets and the cat litter, I haven't found any signs of the mice returning. I read that lab rats instinctively avoid the smell of cat urine, which makes sense, and since I have an unlimited supply, it's worth a try. I also had 4 glue traps around the bike, and I've put two extras on the seat. Fingers crossed.
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

Default Rodent repellent

Contact a local extermination company. They will have agood idea about what lives there and what needs to die and the best method. Why not look into a short term contract with the company to provide peace of mind.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    I found a mouse nest under my seat a few days ago, even with mothballs in small bags around the Spyder (it's outside in a Bike Barn). They were using fur from my sheepskin/gel seat pad for nesting material, and there were a couple of half-eaten acorns under the seat, too. I removed the seat pad and added another small bag of mothballs in front of the opening in the back of the seat, which i assume was their route in, and put dryer sheets on the floorboards. I also decided to try something new. I have two cats, and I use litter made from recycled newspaper pellets. I gathered a bunch of the litter that was soaked with cat urine, and I've been sprinkling a small amount of it around the perimeter of the Bike Barn. So far, between the dryer sheets and the cat litter, I haven't found any signs of the mice returning. I read that lab rats instinctively avoid the smell of cat urine, which makes sense, and since I have an unlimited supply, it's worth a try. I also had 4 glue traps around the bike, and I've put two extras on the seat. Fingers crossed.
    The cat litter sounds like a real good idea. My mom & dad have been having a mouse problem in their garage for years. I'll have to tell them about the litter & see if it works. Thanks.

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Foam Grips
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son

Spyder Garage

I found a rat's nest made of pine needles under the tupperware next to the handlebars this morning. I've been locking the handlebar to the side at night, and it leaves a small gap that is just so inviting for a rodent to set up housekeeping in.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

If I were you I would be on the prowl to find a husband/wife with a house and a large garage! Problem solved right.
    JMO

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lizmcg View Post
    I found a mouse nest under my seat a few days ago, even with mothballs in small bags around the Spyder (it's outside in a Bike Barn).
    I never place the moth balls in bags, they are always in open containers. Number of containers are determined by size of article I'm trying to protect. I do use a generous amount (you mentioned small bags). If there are small vulnerable areas away from the containers I place a couple there too. I only use the containers so they won't roll around.
    I learned this from friends that had also used them for years with great results.
    Last edited by Saluda; 09-23-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My spyder stays in a heated garage below my home office, so I don't have troubles with pest. But I do have a lawn tractor in a storage building at my other home in Roxboro. I am only there every 1-2 weeks. I had a mice problem there. After trying moth balls, and finding out it did not work, I purchased some rat poison blocks, and have had no more troubles.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check U Tube for varmint trap using 5 gal. pail and coke bottle on a rod. Use anti freeze. The mice climb up the ramp climb out on the bottle for the peanut butter and fall into the anti freeze and drown.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default MOTH BALLS REALLY WORK !!

At least you have 24hr access with a garage, let alone heated. I do not have that luxury and might be able to go over to the storage 1-2 times a month to check up on things and make my monthly payment. I guess I will just moth ball the crap out of it and stuff some dryer sheets in there along the way..haven't decided about using a cover or not, for the storage area is not dark 24 hrs a day like others..it has sky lights and pretty bright during the day.
    I store my Spyder in my enclosed, attached garage, but still had mouse issues at first. Then, I read about MOTH BALLS on this forum, and have used them for 6 years without any more mice, spiders, etc. THEY REALLY DO THE JOB!!
    CapNCrunch
    : =)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leave an open container of dried potato flakes, and a pan of water...

It's completely non-toxic, and perfectly safe, for any pets that might get to it.
    The mice eat the potato flakes, get thirsty, and drink the water...
    The potato flakes will swell up, and... BOOM.jpg