Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question I new - Need input

I am new to the group. I am thinking about an RT Limited. I currently ride a Harley Trike (TriGlide). I have been to the Can Am dealership twice already to look and get info. I am riding my buddy's RT-S tomorrow for most of the day to see how it is. Has anyone here ridden or have any experience with the HD TriGlide and now has gone to the RT Spyder? I know they are different but can anyone give me any comparison input? Pros/cons of each one. Thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes I went from a TRIGLIDE to the SPyder and am not going back unless Harley decides to make a trike that does not ride like a truck and the POS parts are more reliable.

Once I test drove the Spyder and rode it more and More I was glade I made the switch

Just got back from South Dakota trip a week ago and was really happy how the spyder handled the roads. Even the wind gust in SD. Still had to be carefull but I think the Triglide would have beaten the SH** out of me compared to the Spyder.

I would test ride a Spyder that you plan on buying. Like the RT. It does take a bit to get use to the inverted way it steers. It does have power steering. I love the Semi Auto..No more hand clutch or hand brake on the Limited.

The SPyder has much less heat than the TRIGLIDE.

Gas mileage is about the same..Spyder versus Triglide

I am sure others will chime in
    Last edited by trikermutha; 09-22-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never owned a "Harley Tri-Pod" , but I've got a good riding buddy who does. We switch and swap quite a lot...
    Negatives:
    The controls on the Tri-G are MUCH heavier. The rear suspension is cushy, but bumpy on a rough road, the front end pushes in tight corners, and lets not talk about the heat that your knees get to soak up...
    The Spyders are a bit noisier, don't have as much room for rider and passenger, the radio isn't as good, there's more shifting to do, and those "Gawdoffal" mirrors!
    Positives:
    Harley Davidson comfort, the torque from the engine is righteous, the dealer network
    The Spyder corners as if it's on rails, it has a longer range on a tank of fuel, the controls take much less effort.

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Prior to my purchase of the 2010 RTS Premier, I went to the HD dealer and was going to test ride the "new" at that time, Tri Glide. I did not like the ergos, hard controls, stiffness (trucky) feeling. And when they started it up--not for me.

You better leave your checkbook home if you are testing/purchasing. Your gonna like the a bit more--IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've never owned a "Harley Tri-Pod" , but I've got a good riding buddy who does. We switch and swap quite a lot...
    Negatives:
    The controls on the Tri-G are MUCH heavier. The rear suspension is cushy, but bumpy on a rough road, the front end pushes in tight corners, and lets not talk about the heat that your knees get to soak up...
    The Spyders are a bit noisier, don't have as much room for rider and passenger, the radio isn't as good, there's more shifting to do, and those "Gawdoffal" mirrors!
    Positives:
    Harley Davidson comfort, the torque from the engine is righteous, the dealer network
    The Spyder corners as if it's on rails, it has a longer range on a tank of fuel, the controls take much less effort.

Happy Shopping!
    Your description "nails" it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Only rode twowheeler HDs
    Loved em all

But when I decided to go with 3 my gut told me to go to Spyder

But the learning curve is (was tough) for me

I was glad for the day it all came together &never look back

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your description "nails" it.
    The big thing that sold me on the Spyder was when the salesperson took me on a ride in tight circles and the trike never lifted a tire. I was going off before the trike lifted. To me that's huge. 3 wheels on the ground I will take that anytime mixed with the wind and the open roads. Just saying. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Check back...

Let us know how the ryde goes on the friends RT...you will know what to do after that...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

have you thought about the F3 T or F3 Limited?

the handling and rider position are alot different than the RT. maybe see if a dealer has a demo you can try for a day as well..

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2015 RSS with an SM5, but I've been on all kinds of machines. So far the RSS is the only one I've managed to keep wheels down lol

My wife has a '15 RT Special with the paddle shift transmission. I've spent plenty of time on that too.

We tried and tried to convince my father in law to get a Spyder but he was determined the Triglide was going to be his thing. Maybe some of you have father in laws that will listen to you but I do not lol

I put some seat time on it and agree with what Bob Denman said. The things that I noticed most was that the TG didn't corner as well and even on a long smooth run it vibrated a LOT more than a Spyder. I'm not sure if they are standard but the TG also has a rev limiter so I was a little surprised coming from the RS and RT to have it cut out at 3000 (I think) RPM as I'm not even really thinking of shifting then with the SM5. It was hot, it didn't ride as good, and it wasn't as "sporty" of a ride. The only thing I liked was how it sounded lol

Everyone is different and everyone likes a different ride but I think once you put some seat time on an RS you'll never look back. One thing I'd recommend is to see if you can get a ride on both types of transmissions. Testing out the F3 isn't a bad idea either but the RT is definitely the closest thing to the TG.

Have fun!