Spyder Garage

Default Why Not Keep It longer

I was reading some of the postings and noticed lot of Spyder owners are happy with the bike. However, I noticed many happy folks traded theirs in after 1 or 2 years. If you are happy with the bike why not keep it longer.
    If you don't mind sharing with us the reason you decided to trade yours in.
    BTW, I don't have my Spyder yet and shopping for one, going to test drive one this Saturday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I traded after four years, because of all of the changes for the 2014 model year...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i am into all the new stuff they put on the newer bikes,
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i am into all the new stuff they put on the newer bikes,
    Awww... you just like all of the new models, that they put on the bikes at the "Javits Show" each December...

Ducati-1199-Panigale-girl-12.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Awww... you just like all of the new models, that they put on the bikes at the "Javits Show" each December...

Ducati-1199-Panigale-girl-12.jpg

Nice accessory on this bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The farkle's the thing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papahoush View Post
    I was reading some of the postings and noticed lot of Spyder owners are happy with the bike. However, I noticed many happy folks traded theirs in after 1 or 2 years. If you are happy with the bike why not keep it longer.
    BTW, I don't have my Spyder yet and shopping for one, going to test drive one this Saturday.

One possibility could be more money than brains.

Good luck in your search for the ultimate toy.

FWIW, my Spyder is an '08, bought it new and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

IMG_1427_2.jpg
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I have had mine a little over a year. Although I would like a new 3cyl. 6 speed I suspect this will be the last motorcycle I buy. I like it fine and if there were not an upgraded version out there would be no reason to change until worn out. I'm working on that, I have 24000+ miles on it now 15,500+ of them mine.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Most here like the newest and greatest thing. The bottom line, we keep coming back to one way or another.

My story: Got the first sold to a customer in Alaska. 2008. Bought sight unseen, put down $500 and waited six months for it to arrive. That one was traded off with 23,500 miles in 2010 for a Premier Edition RTS. Latest & greatest. I made the 2008 into an RT since they had not been invented yet. I sometimes think they stole some of my ideas.

Bought my now ex. a 2009 Semi Auto and decked it out the same way. She still has it as far as I know.

Bought my friend Linda her very own new 2011 RT in 2012.

I kept the 2010 until the 1330 triple came out in 2014. So far am satisfied and there are not enough changes in the new models for me to get another at this time. The F3 does not suit my riding requirements.

See signature below.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default First Spyder was wifes 2011 RT

She put 72,000 on it in three years and handed it to me to wear out when she upgraded to the 1330 platform in May 2015. I didn't have the stamina to finish wearing it out and traded in November for the new 1330 6 spd. These may be our last bikes, who knows..
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're just like our beloved pets: there's always room in your heart for another one...

Spyder Garage

I've had my 2008GS since January 2009, and plan to keep it until I've driven it into the ground.

Spyder Garage

Default Border Rider

I bought a used 2011 RT SE5 , loved it. While on vacation upstate NY tired out a 2016 RT. Just for giggles asked them for a
    quote, turns out they offered $1,000.00 more than I paid for the 2011. With the $2000.00 rebate it was not hard to get my
    co-pilot to trade up.

Spyder Garage

Default Not in a hurry

I have a 2008 GS , for about 2 years now , almost 20,000 km on it . I like what I am hearing about the 3 cylinder engines .... Like the idea of longer range comfort the RT gives ... Maybe in a couple more years start looking to trade , but for now I love Ryding this Spyder around the block or wherever it takes me

Spyder Garage

Nice accessory on this bike.
    There's a bike in that photo?

Seriously, 2014 ST, bought new in July 2014. Just hit 16K miles while at Spyderquest. Trying to decide whether I should continue farkleing or save my pennies and upgrade to an F3 next year.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

I had a 2014 ST-L and loved it. But I did not like the amount of service that it required; that is the only thing I didn't like about it. I was finally able to trade it off (28,000 miles later) for a 2016 F3-L. Oh my gosh I love, love, love this bike. I love the power, the way it handles, the way I sit in it; just pretty much everything about it and it doesn't require service every 4,600 miles along with valve adjustments/checks thrown in there. At this point I can't see myself trading this one off. I'm so happy with my F3-L!!!!

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Someone said "more money than brains" could be why so many don't keep their Spyder longer. I suspect that is partly right. Most Spyder owners are at a point in life where they can afford to update when the next latest and greatest model is unveiled. I have a 2012 RTS-SE5 with 24,000. Over the years I added a few things, a swaybar, taller vented windshield, better seat,running boards, cup holder, phone holder, Bluetooth, better tires, etc.. and right now it runs and rides better than it ever has. I was looking at new leftover models, and yes the new machines sure are nice, but for me to upgrade it would be $12,000 - $14,000. For now I've decided to keep my 5 year old machine, but I am trying to decide how to spend the $14,000 that I have saved . I can keep my perfectly fine "old model" Spyder and get a adventure touring motorcycle, or maybe a new ATV, or snowmobile or some other toy.

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: the new models

I would have to turn in my Man Card if that model did not have some interest for me.

I could go out and buy a new model if I wanted to give up some other things. I do not consider that an acceptable option for me, YMMV.

I have only financed the two houses that I have owned. Everything else has been bought for cash up front. And that includes the new Lexus that I bought last year.

I am very satisfied with my '08 that I have had for 1 1/2 yrs now. I've just about got her outfitted as I want; and we should remember:

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I blame Can-Am for always coming out with something bigger and better and seemingly staggering the release.
    I never changed motorcycles so often.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    One possibility could be more money than brains.

Good luck in your search for the ultimate toy.

FWIW, my Spyder is an '08, bought it new and not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

IMG_1427_2.jpg