Spyder Garage

Default "Gliding into the groove" sensation

I've put about 2,000 miles on my Spyder, and we're fast becoming friends. I take the twisties at the same speed that I drive them in my truck, and I'm able to relax and enjoy ryding instead of my initial white-knuckled OMGthisthingwantstokillme trips.

I have a question, though. Lately, as I come out of a curve, I will often have the sensation of what I can only describe as "gliding into the groove". It's an ethereal feeling, and really counter-intuitive because I know that the tires have not lost traction, but that's how it feels. It lasts for a fraction of a second, and the Spyder just seems to drift that last little bit of curve as it finds the path out. It's hard to capture in words, and I hope it's a good thing, because it feels really cool.

So, am I nuts?
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GLIDING THE GROOVE

Why isn't the NANNY kicking in ...... mine does this all the time in the Twisties .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could this be happening at the point where the weight is transferring off the outside tire, and back to a more even side-to-side distribution?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sooo nice...

Don't analyze it enjoy it and if you get any faster and power out the nanny will retard the ignition to where you think you dropped a cylinder.... you will find more sweet spots and how to manage them without waking nanny....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default "Gliding into the groove" sensation

I know the feeling your talking about. If your comfortable with it, then go with it.

If you'd like to try to change it, my advice would be to try to stay in the throttle until you've finished the curve and straightened out. It's kind of the same principle as with 2 wheels. Try to get in the throttle a little more after the apex of the turn and stay in it until you've finished the turn.

I think what might be happening to you is your backing off the throttle just a little before your quite finished with the turn, which "unloads" the outside tire and allows the machine to push or drift ever so slightly. This doesn't mean your really losing traction, just not able to hold your line.

It takes practice and faith in your machine. With practice, you'll get comfortable with it! Good luck and ride in your comfort zone!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I feel it also. Easy riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could this be happening at the point where the weight is transferring off the outside tire, and back to a more even side-to-side distribution?
    I think you nailed it. The bike seems to snap into line at the tangency of the curve.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile

Spyder Garage

Default KENDA

I'M GUESSING YOU STILL HAVE THE OEM KENDA's ON THE FRONT.....
    I NOTICED THE SAME THING ON MY 'RS' & 'F-3' UNTIL I SWITCHED OVER TO REAL TIRES.... WHAT I NOW WITNESS IS THE 'NANNY' KICKS IN DURING AGGRESSIVE TURNS... NOT ENOUGH THAT IT'S UPSETTING, AND SOMETIMES ALL I'LL DO IS CATCH A GLIMPS OF THE little green light ANNOUNCING THE NANNY HAS KICKED IN FOR A MICRO-SECOND...
    I WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING... IN TIME YOU WILL NOT EVEN NOTICE IT...
    RIDE SAFELY AND ENJOY....
    SPD3R

Spyder Garage

Yep- Kendas all around. Nearly new, in fact.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

I have yet to feel the nanny kick in, and I've been through some turns where I thought "OMG, I don't believe I made it through that turn!" With grins, of course!

And I'm too busy watching the road ahead of me to notice a little green light on the dashboard (especially given the dimness of said dashboard lights).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this post! I have over 5000 miles now on my 2014 RT and know exactly what you are feeling. I have felt the "nanny" kick in twice so far. The first time it happened it was like... WTF was that! I think Michael nailed it with his explanation, at least it was similar to what I was thinking. Can anybody tell me if BajaRon's swaybar takes away that sensation? I've been thinking of putting one on now for awhile but haven't done it yet