Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BnG View Post
    So do you just have to open the battery compartment and test it with the voltmeter?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Select 12 volts on the Voltmeter and touch each battery post. (one on neg. and one on pos.) Should read about 13.5-13.7 volts if fully charged and charging for a good battery.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Well there are two opposing views. I do pretty much what SPIDERMAN does, but I'm wondering how many folks unplug their battery maintainer when away from home. I've never heard of potential fire problems on any of the better units that have a "float mode".
    I'm pretty sure he means that when on the road traveling with the Spyder it isn't plugged in. Not that there is a fire hazard and he unplugs it while away. The only time mine aren't plugged in is while we are away riding.

I sit in the camp of always plugging it in when not in use. Yes using the Spyder 5 days a week will keep the battery nicely charged but it is just a good habit to get into. Past bikes have been kept this way and I've never had to replace a battery. My Venture was 8 years old with the original battery and the battery was in great shape.
    Also agree that it fights sulfation as PMK stated. That is the whole point of a "maintainer".

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A what?

Well our Ryding season is short only from January 1 to December 31st, so we really have no use for a battery maintainer! We do that by Ryding!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    I'm pretty sure he means that when on the road traveling with the Spyder it isn't plugged in. Not that there is a fire hazard and he unplugs it while away. The only time mine aren't plugged in is while we are away riding.

Gary
    Yeah, you're probably right. I just assumed otherwise, since that would be the case with me. Wife and I like to get away with the RV and unfortunately I cannot take the Spyder along.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Here's my take, to add to the mix...

Twins = Tender
    Triples = Tough - "not so tender"

The triples have a higher capacity proper alternator; the twins have a stator thing which doesn't start recharging the battery until 3500 revs.
    I found that whenever I plugged-in my 2010: it would take a charge for at least a good half-hour or so.
    My 2014 seems to NEVER need to go into a charging mode.
    (Although I did test it, by leaving it unplugged for a Month during one Winter: it charged for about fifteen minutes.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

Quote Originally Posted by BnG View Post
    So do you just have to open the battery compartment and test it with the voltmeter?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Volt tester are not good for checking the condiion of the battery, It will tell you the voltage. A true battery load tester is needed to test the battery under load. This will simulate the load placed on the battery when, the started is used. lights turned on and or when the systems starts up.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    Volt tester are not good for checking the condiion of the battery, It will tell you the voltage. A true battery load tester is needed to test the battery under load. This will simulate the load placed on the battery when, the started is used. lights turned on and or when the systems starts up.

Good Luck
    It's not good for checking the quality of the battery (unless it's low when the bike is off) but it is a pretty quick test for the quality of the charging circuit. If you're near 14v when charging, bike on, then the alternator/stator/regulator is probably OK.

Spyder Garage

I never used my battery tender plus on either my 2010 or 2013 RT-S. With that said I can't recall having a week pass by without having ridden it.

Chris

Spyder Garage

I've been using a Battery Tender for about 30 years now, ever since Harley gave me on free with the purchase of a motorcycle. At first I just used it every once in a while, and was getting about 3 or 4 years battery life. Deltran (the maker of the Battery Tender) told me I'd do better if I used it when ever I wasn't riding. I didn't have anything to loose so I tried their suggestion, and son of a gun, I started getting 7 to 8 years of battery life. Today, all of my vehicles (and boat) are on Tenders when sitting at home. Heck, what do I have to lose?

David
    Last edited by Devious56; 09-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies! Lots of good info.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

everyday it doesn't rain never 09 rs 73000 miles

replced battery in 2013 just cause

Spyder Garage

I use it daily.....sometimes it may be a week or two between rides.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

Well I have not had my BT hooked up at all. We ride here year round. I do have heated gear for winter and a adapter to plug in the BT to the heated gear outlet. I can plug in there since the heated gear comes directly off the battery. Have not had occasion to use it.

Most batteries do not last more than 2-4 years here because of the heat. I replace my auto batteries every three years and all the toys when needed.

Jack

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I just purchased my RT-S in June. Longest I have gone without riding her was 2 weeks when we had heat index's over 110. Started right up no issues. I also live in a townhome and the bike is parked on my cement patio out back with no electrical outlet for a tender. Also, a neighbor of mine used a solar one and it got stolen so that's out of the question.. Either way, it is what it is and the battery will be on a tender for the winter months when in storage (or remove battery and use tender on it in the basement).