Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Need advice/info on Installing battery tender harness?

Hello SL Family!
    Although I don't really want to think of it, I do live in New England, and realistically, there isn't a whole lot left of a ryding season. I'd like to install a Battery Tender quick connect terminal,under the seat of my 2016 RTS Special Series, just like I had on my 2010 RT-AC, so the battery will stay charged over winter.
    I tried the search feature, but had no luck. Does anyone have a quick how to? TIA!
    Last edited by smurfette; 09-18-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Spyder Garage

I think most of the Tender leads terminate in the frunk. somewhere not too far from the battery. Under seat is a whole
    different can of worms, and it probably starts with a Tupperware peel down. Good luck.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My plug in for my battery tender comes out of the liner in the frunk. I can put the cap on the plug, stick it in behind the liner and zip the liner shut. You would never know it was there. Open the frunk right before I turn the key off and plug it in till the next ride. Easy peasy.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Same here
    There is a hole with a plug in it near battery
    I leave tender wire out with zipper tight up against wire

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exactly the same here.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender leads

Open Frunk. Unzip liner. You will see two #30 torx screws. Get your toolkit from under the seat. Remove the torx screws. Lift battery cover panel out to expose battery. Connect red wire of battery tender pigtail to positive terminal. Connect black wire to negative terminal. To the right of the battery is a round rubber plug. Remove plug. Cut from 3 o'clock position to the center with sissors. Pass battery tender wire thru hole, placing rubber cover over wire. Insert in hole. Replace battery cover and torx screws. Bring zipper up to wire on each side, trapping the connection. Close Frunk. To use, open Frunk, plug into bike, plug into wall outlet. Done. Need help? Call! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I use the cigarette lighter adapter (Wal-Mart sells them online) and plug it into the 12 Volt outlet in the rear storage compartment, which is always hot since I moved the fuse for it. Couldn't be easier.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    ...I'd like to install a Battery Tender quick connect terminal,under the seat of my 2016 RTS Special Series, just like I had on my 2010 RT-AC, so the battery will stay charged over winter.
    Yes on your 2016 the battery is in the frunk. On your 2010 the battery was under the seat. Much easier to install on your 2016 and others have indicated how.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=oldguyinCT;1183424]I use the cigarette lighter adapter (Wal-Mart sells them online) and plug it into the 12 Volt outlet in the rear storage compartment, which is always hot since I moved the fuse for it. Couldn't be easier.

I live in Pennsylvania and yes, we can have very cold Winters here. I am new to the Can-Am Spyder world and purchased a 2015 RT-S just this past June. I was wondering, the Black & Decker trickle charger I purchased, comes with everything including a 12-volt adapter to use in the rear trunk of the RT. Do I just plug it in and it will automatically work? Or do I have to move some fuses around like you mentioned in your above post? If the power to the 12 volt access only works with the key on, then obviously this will not work and I will have to attach the leads to the battery in the frunk, correct?
    Last edited by ShortCake; 09-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at your owners manual. I forget what fuse needs to be switched. The numbers 6 & 7 I think have something to do with it.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Shortcake, What Steve said, if your '15 Spyder's trunk 12v socket is only (currently) ignition hot, then you should find a fuse in the front right side (left as you're looking into the frunk) fuse box position 6 and nothing in 7, move the fuse from 6 to 7 and the trunk 12v socket should be always hot. Then Batt Tender works always without ignition switch on.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ShortCake;1184205]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I was wondering, the Black & Decker trickle charger I purchased
    You should be using a battery maintainer. They have the capability to sense when the battery is fully charged and stop charging. A pure trickle charger will constantly send current to the battery which can cause problems.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

To my knowledge BRP states on the manual not to connet anything on that terminal under the seat ( why do they put it there then?) open the frunk and under the black cover on the left side of the bike you'll see a positive and a negative terminal use those! that's how i installed mine! whatever works for you!

Spyder Garage

Hi does anyone have any suggestions or documentation on how to wire up a 2016 F3 S? I would like to plug in and use the battery tender and if possible just leave connector so I can plug and go. Not to familiar with working on the bike yet. First winter with it,

Thanks in advance.

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Open Frunk. Unzip liner. You will see two #30 torx screws. Get your toolkit from under the seat. Remove the torx screws. Lift battery cover panel out to expose battery. Connect red wire of battery tender pigtail to positive terminal. Connect black wire to negative terminal. To the right of the battery is a round rubber plug. Remove plug. Cut from 3 o'clock position to the center with sissors. Pass battery tender wire thru hole, placing rubber cover over wire. Insert in hole. Replace battery cover and torx screws. Bring zipper up to wire on each side, trapping the connection. Close Frunk. To use, open Frunk, plug into bike, plug into wall outlet. Done. Need help? Call! Joe

or if youre lazy like me use the squeeze clips to connect to the battery and do like
    he says .--irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Joyce 47 THANK YOU. ... ME. AND WHITE LIGHT ING WILL BE CHARGED. RIDE ON

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender connection

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I use the cigarette lighter adapter (Wal-Mart sells them online) and plug it into the 12 Volt outlet in the rear storage compartment, which is always hot since I moved the fuse for it. Couldn't be easier.
    I'd be concerned about using the outlet in the rear trunk. Some battery tenders are going to exceed the amperage limit of that connector and then you've got a potentially dangerous situation. The connection to the battery in the frunk is much safer and doesn't require messing around with fuse placement (which could lead to battery trickling OUT of the battery leaving you with a dead battery under some circumstances.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'd be concerned about using the outlet in the rear trunk. Some battery tenders are going to exceed the amperage limit of that connector and then you've got a potentially dangerous situation. The connection to the battery in the frunk is much safer and doesn't require messing around with fuse placement (which could lead to battery trickling OUT of the battery leaving you with a dead battery under some circumstances.
    Moving the fuse from switched to hot for the rear power outlet cannot cause battery drain if nothing is plugged into the outlet. A fuse doesn't drain the battery.

Spyder Garage

2011 rt limited how do you connect a battery tender to this one

Spyder Garage

I wired the battery tender through the frunk on my wife's 2013 RT but she just got a 2018 and I got a 2019. Wondering if I should go through the frunks again. The only connectors in the top box in the rear on mine is a USB connector, which I could make hot with the fuse switch, but I kinda don't like a lot of distance between the battery and the charger, so I'm leaning toward frunking it again. What I wish is that I could route it out the side somehow, but with all the motion in the suspension, that doesn't seem wise, either. But somewhere I don't have to leave anything open to use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Xander18 View Post
    2011 rt limited how do you connect a battery tender to this one
    You just need a couple of tails from the battery posts to a connector of your choice. Keep them shortish and let the connector(s) lie under the seat. I used 4mm banana connectors because it's easy to connect whatever I want to them. Use decent size cable and put a fuse in the positive lead. You can use it as a power outlet or a charger/tender input.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinSpice918 View Post
    ...What I wish is that I could route it out the side somehow, but with all the motion in the suspension, that doesn't seem wise, either. But somewhere I don't have to leave anything open to use.
    I just mentioned this in another post for a different question but I'll post here in case you miss it. You can pick up battery power at the main alternator post because it is directly connected to the battery. The alternator is just behind the left front side panel so easily accessible, negative can also be got from a nearby bolt or screw since battery negative is connected directly to engine ground. Easy enough to run a couple of tails to wherever you want at the side if that's your preference. Always fuse a direct positive supply from the battery as near to the positive connection as is convenient.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

20191011_211433.jpg

I ran my battery tender cord to left side of bike under seat to charge and then be able use electric vest when riding
    tied directly to battery with 5amp fuse installed , the black along edge is velcro to keep in place when riding

Spyder Garage

I put my tender in the Frank also, I took the tub out and drilled a hole and just raneed it through, covered the hole withat tape, easy access now

Spyder Garage

Hello, mine is at seat front as it is also used for heated gear. I used a heavier gauge two wire cable ( 10 amp ) Motorola radio power cord with the usual ends. Cable was wire direct to battery and threads down above fuel filler to battery compartment. Had it done when assembling my 2014 RTL. I used the longer end of power cord to make jumper cables so I don't have to take liner etc out of trunk to get at battery. Never needed to jump myself but have assisted others. Just traded my 2014 in on a 2020 RTL and I took prepped cable to dealer to be put on when assembled.
    B1EF08F7-AD17-44EF-9F7E-1B1BDE8186CA.jpg

QUOTE=smurfette;1183330]Hello SL Family!
    Although I don't really want to think of it, I do live in New England, and realistically, there isn't a whole lot left of a ryding season. I'd like to install a Battery Tender quick connect terminal,under the seat of my 2016 RTS Special Series, just like I had on my 2010 RT-AC, so the battery will stay charged over winter.
    I tried the search feature, but had no luck. Does anyone have a quick how to? TIA![/QUOTE]
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!